Menu

Christmas for FiL

maize

Many of you may remember that my MiL passed away in September. It has been an incredibly difficult few months for FiL--not only did he lose his wife of 52 years, he also lost his home and many of his possessions (courtesy of Hurricane Harvey), relocated half way across the country (to be near family) and is still dealing with settling matters back in Texas while trying to settle into a new life out here.

It would be a lot for anyone.

He is coming here for Christmas Eve and spending the night (lives about an hour from us). I feel...inadequate I guess. I know he'll be happy to be with the grandkids and enjoy their enjoyment of Christmas, but I am also sure that grief is going to be even stronger than most days. MiL loved holiday celebrations and threw herself into making them special.

I don't know if I am really even asking anything, just wanting to talk I guess because this is on my mind.

Remember with him. Don’t make him feel that he has to fake thevjoy of the season. It’s okay if he cries of feels melancholy. Don’t feel that you can make him happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Talk about her. Reminisce about her love of the holidays. Talk about how much she is missed, and maybe have a cry together.

I agree, maybe a small project he could do with the kids (or maybe starting a tree in a pot in her honor and planting it in the ground in the spring as something to look forward to with the kids?) And a quiet space for him if things get too much. And maybe try to just listen if he needs to talk and reassure him if he needs to cry.

How is your DH handling all this? Can he be a source of comfort to his dad?

Is there a special tradition or dish MIL was known for that maybe the kids could do?

And big hugs