Menu

Ladies fashion question

laundrycrisis

46 members have voted

1. 1. Hose/tights/bare legs in December ?

• sheer black hose
    • opaque black hose/thin tights
    • bare legs
    • other ?

I do not have many occasions to dress up, and I really don't follow fashion trends, and I would like to get opinions on hosiery please.   

I am going to an event in December.  I will be wearing a black/print knee length sheath dress with black patent low heel dress shoes.  Should I wear black sheer hose, opaque black hose/thin tights, or bare legs ?  I am white and fair skinned.   I am sliding toward 50 but not there yet.   Thank you ! 

Editing to add - we are in Illinois, so a pretty cold climate. Also, the dress is sleeveless and my arms will be bare.  I don't want to spray/self tan my legs and have them not match my arms, and I don't want to do my arms because I know I would never get the fading to look natural in the elbow and armpit area. 

Edited by Laundrycrisis2

I would go bare legs or sheer black hose.  If going bare legs I would go get my legs lightly spray tanned and toes painted.

I'm going to similar party next week.  I did think about black sheer hose but i'm probably wearing gold high heeled sandals.  I admit it is ridiculous and I'd love to not go.

• Like 1

I would go bare legs or sheer black hose.  If going bare legs I would go get my legs lightly spray tanned and toes painted.

I'm going to similar party next week.  I did think about black sheer hose but i'm probably wearing gold high heeled sandals.  I admit it is ridiculous and I'd love to not go.

Agreed. If it was cold...which may or may not be the case here in GA...I'd do the hose. But otherwise, I'd do the bare legs but use make up or tanning spray/lotion to make my legs a little less, ahem, reflective. 

I think any of those would be fine.  I don't believe in self-tanning.  My skin is pale, so what?  I would base my decision solely on how cold it will be.  I'm a south Texas girl, so Chicago in winter screams tights to me.  Since you live there and are more used to the temperatures, it might be different.  I still think the decision should be based on what will keep you the most comfortable temperature.

If it's really cold I would do the thicker hose, so the opaque. In winter my dresses tend to be sweater dresses I wear with black leggings and tall boots.

I think bare arms (I mean cold shoulder looks or sleeveless) are weird in winter, at least outside. I would imagine that a coat covers the arms outside, but may not cover the legs. I imagine sleeveless dresses are intended to be worn with a cardigan.

Due to hot flashes, I wear short sleeved and sleeveless tops all winter, with a light cardigan that is easily removed when I am hot.   So I only own sleeveless dresses.  In this case, I am not wearing a cardigan because I will be playing violin.  I want the freedom of sleeveless. 

• Like 1

I would wear black hose.

But it seems really bizarre that bare legs are deemed not appropriate in winter whereas bare arms and shoulders are - makes absolutely no sense. I never understood the rationale behind sleeveless Christmas dresses.

I really don’t understand cold shoulder-style sweaters. Why would I want cold shoulders in winter?

• Like 4

I really don’t understand cold shoulder-style sweaters. Why would I want cold shoulders in winter?

I was just in the grocery store, where I saw a woman wearing a bulky cold-shoulder long-sleeved sweater, and gloves.  It looked odd to me on this wintry day.  And she was complaining about the cold. 

(Note (and not related to the quoted post) I am not judging her for her choices, did not roll my eyes or give her a look of disdain, nor would I hate her for dressing in a way that seemed odd to me. Just getting that out of the way. :-) )

Edited by marbel

Thank you all ! I will get some opaque black hose. I think they are less likely to run and snag than the sheers. My legs won’t freeze outside and I won’t have to deal with my feet sticking inside my shoes. I appreciate the help. I have become so unsure of current standards of what is normal hosiery for dress occasions.

Edited by laundrycrisis
  • Like 1