Menu

Garrison Keillor too

Word Nerd

Oh, geez...his name came up in conversation a few weeks ago (I think dh read something about him in the paper - not related to this) and I said the first thing that popped into my head - that it wouldn't surprise me if this type of news came out about him. He's always given off a creepy pervert vibe.

• Like 1

I haven't seen confirmation of this though I don't doubt it. This one doesn't surprise me at all. Though I enjoyed his show he often gave off a vibe. I would not have wanted to work for him.

I always liked Prairie Home Companion, but I remember reading an interview with him.  Something seemed "off" to me and it left a bad taste in my mouth.  Couldn't put my finger on it though.

edited for clarification now that we're talking about two different people. 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

I think the fact that we have Trump as president has also emboldened women.    I remember hearing an article on NPR about this topic and the interviewee said she believed that if Hilary was President that this might not have come out.    I think it's also a "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.!" moment related to our President.   

I don't want to this thread to de-evolve into politics... but maybe this could be one reason we can all be happy Trump is president. 

• Like 4

I think the fact that we have Trump as president has also emboldened women.    I remember hearing an article on NPR about this topic and the interviewee said she believed that if Hilary was President that this might not have come out.    I think it's also a "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.!" moment related to our President.   

I don't want to this thread to de-evolve into politics... but maybe this could be one reason we can all be happy Trump is president. 

I think there has been a lot of anger brewing not only over Trump but also over Hilary's behavior towards Bill's accusers.

• Like 7

I am local to Keillor and know friends  and friends of friends.  Some are going to be SHOCKED about this.  But I'm not at all.  He's always given off a self serving, narcissistic vibe to me and considering his generation, no surprises here.  My father died a couple years ago and the men of his generation I saw behaving inappropriately in subtle ways regularly.  Sad, because I've always loved Prairie Home but never loved him. 

• Like 3

Which is crazy when you think about it, because while Trump is accused of assaulting women - kissing them when not wanted, etc. - and talking in vulgar terms about assaulting them, Clinton was and is accused of raping a woman.  Why are people so up at arms about Trump and not Clinton?  It is so weird to me.

• Like 3

I haven't seen confirmation of this though I don't doubt it. This one doesn't surprise me at all. Though I enjoyed his show he often gave off a vibe. I would not have wanted to work for him.

MPR confirmed it.

ETA: Looks like they're also going to change the name of Prairie Home Companion:

"By terminating the contracts, MPR and American Public Media (APM) will...change the name of APM's weekly music and variety program hosted by Chris Thile"

Edited by Word Nerd

Which is crazy when you think about it, because while Trump is accused of assaulting women - kissing them when not wanted, etc. - and talking in vulgar terms about assaulting them, Clinton was and is accused of raping a woman.  Why are people so up at arms about Trump and not Clinton?  It is so weird to me.

you know...that double standard-thing...or perhaps that right-wing conspiracy...

Probably because that rape accusation was determined to be unfounded...it never really made sense. None of that whole thing made sense. I actually spent a lot of time looking it up before the election and the rape charge was full of baloney. 

Womanizer? Yes. Cheater? Yes. Took advantage of his power and used that against Lewinsky? absolutely. I did NOT vote for him for his second term because of that situation. But the rape charge never held water. The "harassment" that supposedly happened with Hillary and the "victim" was Hillary walking up to her at a fundraiser and saying, "hi, thanks for all you've done to support my husband."  What she said to probably a dozen other people. THAT was the harassment. 

• Like 3