Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW48: Bookish notes and Birthdays

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week 48 in our 2017 adventurous prime reading year.   Greetings to all our readers and those following our progress. Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

As November winds down, it is time for another round of Bookish Notes and Birthdays!

A Wave of New Fiction from Nigeria: As Young Writers Experiment with Genre

Dawn Watch Explores The Life And Legacy Of Joseph Conrad

2017 Costa Book Awards Shortlist Announced

SBTB's Covers and  Cocktails: Southern Hospitality

YA Books That Feature Sisters

Best Multicultural and Diverse Books about or featuring a variety of cultures.

Artist Andrew DeGraff on Cinemaps: an Atlas of 35 Great Movies

Upcoming Television Mystery Movies for December 2017  - ideas for movies to books reading.

Author Birthdays this week:  

11/26 -  William Cowper and Eugene Ionesco 

11/27 -  James Agee and Gail Sheehy

11/28 -  John Bunyan and William Blake

11/29 -  C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, Louisa May Alcott

11/30 -  Jonathan Swift and Mark Twain 

12/01 -  Rex Stout and Charles Finney

12/02 -  Elizabeth Berg and Ann Patchett

“In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.†  â€• Mark Twain

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 47

• Like 6

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally dove into Sweep in Peace, #2 in Ilona Andrews Innkeeper Chronicles and enjoying it.  

Finished the Tao of Pooh and now have Cottleston Pie floating around in  my head as well as a picture of Vinegar Tasters,  thoughts of the uncarved block, synchronicity and of course, winnie the pooh and company.  

Have any of you read Eric Flint's alternative history books?  My brother in law was telling me about 1632 and other books in his Assiti Shard series. Sounds quite interesting. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

I haven't been in the mood to sink my teeth into anything meaty this weekend, so I read one historical mystery, am reading another, and listening to still another. 

Finished: For Deader or Worse, a John Pickett mystery

Reading: A Death in the Small Hours, a Charles Lenox mystery

Listening to: The Confession of Brother Haluin, a Brother Cadfael mystery. I'm nearly finished with this one and I've been listening while I was making turkey (bone) broth. (I have a crock pot and an Instant Pot but I opted for old school, so it's simmering on the stove in my big soup pot.) This book is the last one narrated by Patrick Tull. I've listened to him narrate 15 of these books (there are other narrators but I stuck with him through the series because I really like him). Sir Derek Jacobi who played Brother Cadfael in the tv series narrates the last five so I expect to enjoy them even though I'll miss Patrick Tull's narration (he's deceased).

• Like 11

I posted this yesterday in last week's thread but wanted to post it again in case someone who wants the books didn't see it.

I have 2 BaW books that have made the rounds and are ready to go to a new home. They're #4 and #6 in the John Pickett mysteries.

#4 - Dinner Most Deadly

#6 - For Deader or Worse

I don't know if protocol is to keep BaW books together if they started out together or if it's okay to send them to different people (what's the verdict?), but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll mail them to you. Both are paperbacks.

• Like 7

I finished reading The Final Girls https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32796253-final-girls which I put on hold for spooky reading back in October. I remember seeing it on some of our lists! It was more of what I consider to be horror than thriller. Not a favorite but OK.

I am still listening to Runemarks and reading Sarum. I have also started the latest holiday themed Donna Andrews book titled How the Finch Stole Christmas. I love the Grinch and have many fond memories of watching the special every year so am curious how she is going to tie things together. Right now the story just has way to many Gouldian finches due to a customs seizure of smuggled birds.

I finished spelling Topaz for the Birthstone Challenge.

T. Blood Trail by Tanya Huff

O. One Fell Sweep by Ilona Andrews

P. Hot Pursuit by Julie Ann Walker

A. Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine

Z. The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths

• Like 9

This week I finished reading The Pretty One by Rosenfeld.   It's a novel about 3 sisters, and they all had annoying nicknames.  It was so wonderfully memorable, that one week later I can't remember what it was about  :laugh: !   I'm not sure if that says more about my memory, or the quality of the book...

I read 2 other books that I enjoyed this week.   The first was Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel.   I'm an Amy, so I'm always happy to read books written by other Amy's.  This novel was about a woman who faced a setback, then gets her life together when she starts a job in admissions at a local private school.   It was a little bit different, and interesting.   The author had worked in admissions, which was clear.

I also read You Will Know Me by Meg Abbott.   It was supposed to be like The Girl On the Train, but it didn't quite reach that level for me.   This book was about one family involved in the world of competitive gymnastics, and a crime that happened that happened and affected the whole community.   I kind of figured out what happened at the beginning of the book.   I don't know if my radar was on, or if I should consider become a detective.  It was still a bit of a page turner.

I also started 3 books this week.   The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri, which I have started 2 other times and haven't been able to get through.   I don't know why.   I have enjoyed every other one of her books.   I also started Ants Among Elephants An Untouchable Family and the Making of Modern India.   I can't seem to get into this one, and made the mistake of looking at reviews of the book and they weren't positive.  The third book I am reading is Elizabeth the First Wife by Lian Dolan, which is a book I picked up at the library because it had pretty flowers on the cover, and was next to something else I was looking at.  (I use a very rigorous method to choose books, if your name is Amy or you put pretty flowers on the cover or your book is near another book I want, I will try reading your book.)  This is the second book this month that I have randomly picked up that has some sort of Shakespeare theme to it.   I don't like Shakespeare, but maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.  A rose by any other name?   All that glitters is not gold?   Who let the dogs out?   I'm sure it will come to me eventually, with the plot of that first book I finished.

Happy reading, and happy holiday shopping insanity  :hurray: !

• Like 8

I also read You Will Know Me by Meg Abbott.   It was supposed to be like The Girl On the Train, but it didn't quite reach that level for me.   This book was about one family involved in the world of competitive gymnastics, and a crime that happened that happened and affected the whole community.   I kind of figured out what happened at the beginning of the book.   I don't know if my radar was on, or if I should consider become a detective.  It was still a bit of a page turner.

The third book I am reading is Elizabeth the First Wife by Lian Dolan, which is a book I picked up at the library because it had pretty flowers on the cover, and was next to something else I was looking at.  (I use a very rigorous method to choose books, if your name is Amy or you put pretty flowers on the cover or your book is near another book I want, I will try reading your book.)  This is the second book this month that I have randomly picked up that has some sort of Shakespeare theme to it.   I don't like Shakespeare, but maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.  A rose by any other name?   All that glitters is not gold?   Who let the dogs out?   I'm sure it will come to me eventually, with the plot of that first book I finished.

I read You Will Know Me last spring and remember liking it far more than I expected to after the first few pages. A good friend has a serious gymnast in her family so I continued for the gymnastics.

I wonder if we are related because I like books with flowers on the cover too. Flowers and cats always make me look twice! 😋

I finally dove into Sweep in Peace, #2 in Ilona Andrews Innkeeper Chronicles and enjoying it.  

Finished the Tao of Pooh and now have Cottleston Pie floating around in  my head as well as a picture of Vinegar Tasters,  thoughts of the uncarved block, synchronicity and of course, winnie the pooh and company.  

Have any of you read Eric Flint's alternative history books?  My brother in law was telling me about 1632 and other books in his Assiti Shard series. Sounds quite interesting.

Glad that you decided to give the Innkeeper Chronicles another try after much heavy handed encouragement from me. I hope you enjoy it!

I have heard really good things about the Assiti Shard series. Dd may have read one because I know they have been in the physical stack before. At some point I would be willing to try one if you want to plan. Just remember I will need to start at the beginning........ :lol:

Listening to: The Confession of Brother Haluin, a Brother Cadfael mystery. I'm nearly finished with this one and I've been listening while I was making turkey (bone) broth. (I have a crock pot and an Instant Pot but I opted for old school, so it's simmering on the stove in my big soup pot.) This book is the last one narrated by Patrick Tull. I've listened to him narrate 15 of these books (there are other narrators but I stuck with him through the series because I really like him). Sir Derek Jacobi who played Brother Cadfael in the tv series narrates the last five so I expect to enjoy them even though I'll miss Patrick Tull's narration (he's deceased).

You just answered a question that I have been too busy to research. I used to listen to Cadfael in the car on cd many years ago and know my narrator was not Jacobi but I really liked him/them and have hesitated because Jacobi seems to be the narrator on the books I have looked at. Now I know who to look for! 😊. Btw, I love Jacobi on the tv but nostalgia means Tull apparently for audio!

• Like 7

What are you reading this week?

I finished Zera and the Green Man by Sandra Knauf this afternoon.  I basically hated it.  I very rarely rate a book 1 star.  That's what this one earned.  The first half, while not being very well written was decent.  Then it just went nuts.  It tried to be several kinds of books, sometimes a mystical fantasy, sometimes a thriller, sometimes sci fi, and sometimes non-fiction.  It was a very heavy handed, preachy attack on genetic modification (and not even realistic genetic modification - for example mice mixed with oak trees that had wriggling tails hanging off them and cacao mixed with cow that had tiny bawling cows on the plant) and global warming.  The end of the world apparently would be caused by GM plants since the plants no longer knew what they were.  And then the end.  It was just horribly done and rather dumb.  Not impressed.

I'm pre-reading Catherine, Called Birdy and Will in Scarlet.  They start reading them tomorrow so I need to finish reading them soon.

I finished spelling out Topaz for this month's birthstone:

The Toaster Oven Mocks Me

Out of Play

Play Dead

All the Way From Texas

Zera and the Green Man

I've never read an alternative history book.  My uncle HATED them.  He was very into the Civil War and people would give him books about if the south had won or Lincoln wasn't assassinated.  He'd read them because he loved to read and figured if someone picked it out for him, he was going to read it.  But he always said that's not what happened so why imagine it.  On the other hand, my brother is in a group that regularly discusses what would x be like if y never (or did) happened and he loves it.  But I think hearing my uncle talk about alternative history books from when I was pretty young just poisoned me against them or something lol

• Like 9

I finished book #49. it was a looooooong audiobook; about 17 hours.

The Man of Legends by Kenneth Johnson

Ugh about sums it up. I give it a 2.5 out of 5.

This was a fantasy/science fiction book about a man who is immortal and has been alive since before the time of Christ. His mission is to do as much good as he can to atone for his sins while he's being followed by the Devil and hunted by the Catholic Church (in the form of a narcissistic priest).The book kind of like a journal and is written by multiple characters and chronicles their experiences with the man. The characters range from flat to comical and are read in different voices by different actors. The main reader - the man - is awful. He pauses every fifth word or so and I was unable to determine a pattern or a reason. It does nothing to shape the character's personality nor does it make sense with the storyline. Thank goodness the other characters are read more smoothly.

The reader doesn't find out how or why the man became immortal (although it's alluded to constantly) until the last third of the book. There are parts that are so drawn out and verbose it became tedious. The book could have been 100-150 pages shorter and it wouldn't have altered the storyline.

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 8

I am returning to planning next years reading.....really I should be finishing my Bingo card and my author A to Z for this year but looking for mystery books with locations in all of England’ s county’s seem to be more fun. Yes, I am back to Brit Tripping ..... In my search I ran into this article which I am sure has been previously posted.

The 20 best crime novels of all time from the Guard

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10616667/The-20-best-crime-novels-of-all-time.html

It did make me realize I could reread Dorothy Sayers and achieve several counties! 😂. Not my original plan but it would work for several.

• Like 9

I've never read an alternative history book. My uncle HATED them. He was very into the Civil War and people would give him books about if the south had won or Lincoln wasn't assassinated. He'd read them because he loved to read and figured if someone picked it out for him, he was going to read it. But he always said that's not what happened so why imagine it. On the other hand, my brother is in a group that regularly discusses what would x be like if y never (or did) happened and he loves it. But I think hearing my uncle talk about alternative history books from when I was pretty young just poisoned me against them or something lol

Yes, I could see how your uncle would hate those types of alternative history. I’m talking more In the realm of science fiction, fantasy, dystopian, which aren’t so much rewriting real history as taking it into a different dimension. Guess I used the wrong wording. 🙀

📚💋☔ï¸ðŸ˜Ž

• Like 5

I posted this yesterday in last week's thread but wanted to post it again in case someone who wants the books didn't see it.

I have 2 BaW books that have made the rounds and are ready to go to a new home. They're #4 and #6 in the John Pickett mysteries.

#4 - Dinner Most Deadly

#6 - For Deader or Worse

I don't know if protocol is to keep BaW books together if they started out together or if it's okay to send them to different people (what's the verdict?), but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll mail them to you. Both are paperbacks.

I think it's okay to split them up. In this case it seems to make mores sense to keep them together but if for some reason someone just wants one or the other then split 'em!

I read 2 other books that I enjoyed this week.   The first was Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel.   I'm an Amy, so I'm always happy to read books written by other Amy's.  This novel was about a woman who faced a setback, then gets her life together when she starts a job in admissions at a local private school.   It was a little bit different, and interesting.   The author had worked in admissions, which was clear.

I agree! The world needs more books by Amys!

• Like 5

We're back from our camping adventures. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving or for our non-American's a lovely regular Thursday.

I'm now caught up on my 101 books in 2017 challenge.

This weekend I finished:

Silent Witness by Nigel McCrery - a non-fiction about the history of forensics. A bit dry until he got into how DNA works and what they can do with it. Here's the pertinent information I learned from the book. Don't kill anyone because you'll be caught. There you go. Helpful tip of the day.

The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries by Emily Brightwell - more cozy than mystery.

On the Beach by Nevil Schute - interesting premise (WWIII happened and everyone is going to die from the radioactive fallout) so it's sad. It's understandable why this is considered a classic! I particularly recommend it to anyone that likes apocalyptic books. That said there were people in my book club that thought it was incredibly slow.

And last night I finished:

His Official Fiance by Berta Ruck - It's possible that this book was written just for me. The basic premise is that a man pays a woman working at his firm 500 pounds to pretend to be his fiance for a year. Hi-jinks ensue. People fall in love. Funny things happen. It's set turn of the century London so that's awesome. Normally I dislike first person books but this was done in such an interesting style it was great. I burned dinner because I was too busy reading this book. I hit the ten percent mark and told my DH that I was going to be up late because I had no intention of putting the book down until I finished it. Flufferton gals - put this on your to-read list.

• Like 10

Some bookish posts ~

Huldufólk: The Truth Behind Iceland's Obsession With Elves

8 Fantasy Families We’d Love to Join

And some currently free Kindle books ~

for one day only: Tutt and Mr. Tutt by Arthur Train

New Adult Paranormal Romance:  Touched by Death by T.L. Martin

romance: Once Upon a Rose  by Laura Florand

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I took three of my children to see the movie Coco last week. I highly, highly recommend it. It's gorgeous, the songs are lovely, and the story touching. Be warned that the "short" is 21 minutes long and absolutely terrible. I turned to my oldest son and said, "Are you kidding me?" He shook his head and said, "I know." I could hear other adults in the theater making similar statements. It made me so grumpy that I wasn't feeling very charitable towards Coco in the opening credits, but that quickly changed. Moviegoers in Mexico protested so much that the short was removed from circulation in that country so it really is that bad. Here's hoping Disney gets a clue and does the same for everyone else.

Books read last week:

• Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman. Fantasy - Short Stories. Meh. I'd like to note that prose broken up by line breaks does not a poem make.
  • The Stone Sky by N. K. Jemisin. Fantasy. In a world torn apart by tectonic forces, a girl with geological magic seeks the end of humanity while her mother strives to stop her.
  • Broke, USA: From Pawnshops to Poverty, Inc. - How the Working Poor Became Big Business by Gary Rivlin. Nonfiction - Business History. A look at the check-cashing, pawnshop, and payday lending businesses. There was a study done on payday lending and check-cashing fairly recently (I'm still trying to find it), showing that in many ways, it was actually cheaper than having a bank account for the working poor when low balance, ATM, overdraft, and other various banking fees were added in. J.D. Vance makes a similar point in Hillbilly Elegy. But there's a saying in finance: pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. In this book, there's a whole series of hogs, one after another. When I read stories about borrowers who start out with a $150 loan and end up with $2000 in fees and the loan balance still outstanding - I can't help but fume. The home equity stripping stories are particularly egregious - essentially financial firms were lending money to people regardless of their ability to repay, leading to loan defaults and home foreclosures. The times Rivlin overstates his case detracts a bit from the his point. Just as an example, he points to the outrageous earnings of $220 million on $3 billion in revenue. That's a net income ratio (net income/revenues) of 7.3%  - not an unusual rate for many firms and certainly lower than most financial firms with 2016 net income ratios ranging from 20.0%-25.8%. For comparison, Apple's 2016 net income ratio was 21.1%, Microsoft 23.6% and McDonald's 19.7%. So $220 million sounds high, until you make comparisons with similar firms. But overall, he makes a powerful case. I can see a need for these services, due to convenience and comparatively lower cost, but in my opinion, more should be done to limit the lending practices and fees charged. I do plan on looking into the Center for Responsible Lending. As someone who works in finance, financial education is extremely important to me, and once my littles don't need me so much, I want to do more to help people in this area.
  • The Undoing Project: A Friendship that Changed Our Minds by Michael Lewis. Nonfiction - Behavorial Economics. Two psychologists analyze human behavior and make a series of important discoveries. This was an excellent, approachable book though the narrative is a bit choppy. Lewis shows the NBA interview process for prospective players, but never returns to the story even though I wanted to know more. I found it particularly interesting when they discovered humans are risk averse when it comes to gains (preferring a certain gain of $500 to a 50% chance of $1000), but risk takers when it comes to loss (preferring a 50% chance of losing $1000 to a certain loss of $500). The last section was extremely moving, honestly the first time I was a little choked up by a Lewis book. Highly recommended.
  • Now Wait for Last Year by Philp K. Dick. Science Fiction. A doctor discovers a drug that can move its users through time.
  • The History of Money by Jack Weatherford. Nonfiction - Financial History. A history of money as a common medium of exchange and a small section speculating on its future.

I'm listening to Music as a Mirror of History, which sounds like it's being narrated by the voice-over from A Christmas Story. I'm trying to finish up Raising Steam and a history on Elizabeth of York, wife to Henry VII. Plus, as usual, a stack of library books to finish.

• Like 10

Kindle books on sale today:

The Essex Serpent

Hillbilly Elegy

The Gathering Storm

Caroline

9780062696274.jpg   9780062300546.jpg   9780141441726.jpg   9780062685346.jpg

I will admit that I am waiting for someone to read Caroline first. I loved the Little House books as a child but they were one series that fell flat with my kids. I still feel slightly warm and fuzzy towards the stories and don't want to completely wreck them.

I really enjoyed Hillbilly Elegy and liked The Essex Serpent more than others here.

Glass Houses by Louise Penny is also part of the sale for Gamache fans.

ErinE said

[*]Broke, USA: From Pawnshops to Poverty, Inc. - How the Working Poor Became Big Business by Gary Rivlin. Nonfiction - Business History. A look at the check-cashing, pawnshop, and payday lending businesses. There was a study done on payday lending and check-cashing fairly recently (I'm still trying to find it), showing that in many ways, it was actually cheaper than having a bank account for the working poor when low balance, ATM, overdraft, and other various banking fees were added in. J.D. Vance makes a similar point in Hillbilly Elegy. But there's a saying in finance: pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. In this book, there's a whole series of hogs, one after another. When I read stories about borrowers who start out with a $150 loan and end up with $2000 in fees and the loan balance still outstanding - I can't help but fume. The home equity stripping stories are particularly egregious - essentially financial firms were lending money to people regardless of their ability to repay, leading to loan defaults and home foreclosures. The times Rivlin overstates his case detracts a bit from the his point. Just as an example, he points to the outrageous earnings of $220 million on $3 billion in revenue. That's a net income ratio (net income/revenues) of 7.3%  - not an unusual rate for many firms and certainly lower than most financial firms with 2016 net income ratios ranging from 20.0%-25.8%. For comparison, Apple's 2016 net income ratio was 21.1%, Microsoft 23.6% and McDonald's 19.7%. So $220 million sounds high, until you make comparisons with similar firms. But overall, he makes a powerful case. I can see a need for these services, due to convenience and comparatively lower cost, but in my opinion, more should be done to limit the lending practices and fees charged. I do plan on looking into the Center for Responsible Lending. As someone who works in finance, financial education is extremely important to me, and once my littles don't need me so much, I want to do more to help people in this area.

"Pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered" is one of my Dh's favorite sayings! :lol: I hear him explain it frequently to people he is working with. He does a lot of volunteer work with a variety of charities. I always enjoy reading your summaries of the financial books you have read for ideas for dh and dd.

• Like 7

I will admit that I am waiting for someone to read Caroline first. I loved the Little House books as a child but they were one series that fell flat with my kids. I still feel slightly warm and fuzzy towards the stories and don't want to completely wreck them.

One of my friends loved the Caroline book. It'll be a while before I read it. Maybe look it up on Good Reads and see if any of your friends with hopefully similar tastes like it or not? 

• Like 6

#4 - Dinner Most Deadly

#6 - For Deader or Worse

Raising my hand for both if  no one else does!  

I finished spelling Topaz for the Birthstone Challenge.

T. Blood Trail by Tanya Huff

O. One Fell Sweep by Ilona Andrews

P. Hot Pursuit by Julie Ann Walker

A. Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine

Z. The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths

Congratulations. I still have Z to go!

I also started 3 books this week.   The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri, which I have started 2 other times and haven't been able to get through.   I don't know why.   I have enjoyed every other one of her books.   I also started Ants Among Elephants An Untouchable Family and the Making of Modern India.   I can't seem to get into this one, and made the mistake of looking at reviews of the book and they weren't positive.  The third book I am reading is Elizabeth the First Wife by Lian Dolan, which is a book I picked up at the library because it had pretty flowers on the cover, and was next to something else I was looking at.  (I use a very rigorous method to choose books, if your name is Amy or you put pretty flowers on the cover or your book is near another book I want, I will try reading your book.)  This is the second book this month that I have randomly picked up that has some sort of Shakespeare theme to it.   I don't like Shakespeare, but maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.  A rose by any other name?   All that glitters is not gold?   Who let the dogs out?   I'm sure it will come to me eventually, with the plot of that first book I finished.

Yes, the universe has a way of doing that.  :001_smile:    I don't particularly like Shakespeare either even though my late mother in law could recite any of the plays by memory.   I just read the excerpt on Amazon for Elizabeth the First Wife and had to get it.  

Glad that you decided to give the Innkeeper Chronicles another try after much heavy handed encouragement from me. I hope you enjoy it!

I have heard really good things about the Assiti Shard series. Dd may have read one because I know they have been in the physical stack before. At some point I would be willing to try one if you want to plan. Just remember I will need to start at the beginning........ :lol:

Yes, I'm enjoying the Innkeeper chronicles series now.  Don't know what stopped me before.    1632 is available online to read for free and Flint's reading order is here.  I'm going to read a bit and see if it captures my attention.  Maybe like Wheel of Time series in which it keeps pulling me back in.   :tongue_smilie:

All I managed this week was finishing Circling the Sun by Paula McClain which I enjoyed. Not much reading time. I have a Brother Cadfael book ready to go and one I bought because I know the author and got to read an early draft a few years ago.

I've been meaning to read Brother Cadfael for quite some time. Thanks universe and Ali.  I downloaded the first one. My dad gave me a big check for my birthday. I'll be spending it on books before my new years book buying ban goes into affect.  We'll see how far I make.  I try for April and usually end up making it until February.   :laugh:

I finished spelling out Topaz for this month's birthstone:

The Toaster Oven Mocks Me

Out of Play

Play Dead

All the Way From Texas

Zera and the Green Man

:hurray:   Love your titles! 

Kiddo's calling for lunch and then we are off to speech.  TTFN

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

The links are great. The 10 exceptional books for women took me elsewhere but the article was interesting, 🙂. I learned a bit about artificial intelligence........

I don’t like the backwards book trend mainly because I suspect it will damage the books. Plus half the fun of bookshelves is to be able to browse. I recently read somewhere that looking at people's bookshelves when you are in their homes is considered rude. I love looking at people’s bookshelves so I am very rude apparently!

• Like 6

"Pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered" is one of my Dh's favorite sayings! :lol: I hear him explain it frequently to people he is working with. He does a lot of volunteer work with a variety of charities. I always enjoy reading your summaries of the financial books you have read for ideas for dh and dd.

Just from what I’ve read this year, they might like The Big Short by Michael Lewis (who also wrote Liars Poker) and The Quants. I especially enjoyed a story from The Quants where the quantitative analysts were tired of losing Liar’s Poker (originally a trader’s bluffing game for the serial numbers on $20 bills). The quantitative analysts (“Quantsâ€) were terrible at the game until one went home, figured out the various probabilities for the occurrence of numbers, and memorized them. The next time Liars Poker was played, the traders lost and with the sharing of the probabilities across the industry, the game disappeared from trading floors.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 5

The links are great. The 10 exceptional books for women took me elsewhere but the article was interesting, 🙂. I learned a bit about artificial intelligence........

I don’t like the backwards book trend mainly because I suspect it will damage the books. Plus half the fun of bookshelves is to be able to browse. I recently read somewhere that looking at people's bookshelves when you are in their homes is considered rude. I love looking at people’s bookshelves so I am very rude apparently!

You can also consider me rude in that case.  (I keep a few of my racier books in the bedroom so that curious shelf browsers are not too shocked!)

I've edited the link you mentioned, so thank you.  I'm happy to have furthered your education in the realm of artificial intelligence!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I  finished #50. Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It was en endearing read. Now I can go see the movie.

My dd loved this book, then I read it and loved it, and even had DH read it and he loved it.   I was a huge Natalie Merchant fan back "in the day" and loved the song too.

I'm really curious to see the movie.

• Like 7

On the list of 21 things, I do #4 all the time. I have used the strangest things as a bookmark. Necessity is the mother of creativity. I am not a monster! (#5)  Anyone want to guess what my bookcase looks like? ;) 

Well, then I'm rude. I had no idea this was considered rude. 

• Like 7

I've been exploring bingo and bookology plans for 2018 and have ended up following quite a few rabbit trails.  So much fun!!!!

What would you all like to see highlighted next year?  I'm thinking another trip around the world - hopping about in no particular order.  We've already have an Asian read, and england mystery road trip.  I'm feeling drawn to icelandic and scandinavian mysteries.  At this point, tipping into the mystery area pretty heavily.  Any suggestions for authors both male and female, books or authors or different historical periods or internationally,  you've been  meaning to check out, but haven't.   

• Like 7

Great links.  Okay, I'll admit i may have used a sock in a pinch for a bookmark.  I've used pens, paperclips, mail when I'm feeling a bit too lazy to go searching for a bookmark.  At least I've got hubby using book marks. He used to just lay the book face down.   :svengo:

Books backward?  Hmmm!  It's a bit odd but I can see how someone could use to decorate with all the pages showing rather than facing outwards. I'd never do it.   I didn't know it was rude to peruse other people's bookshelves when visiting.   I love seeing what other people are reading.  Since we have books everywhere in our house, there really wouldn't be a safe place to look, if that were the case.   :tongue_smilie:   Always stirs up conversation.   If there are books I don't want people to see, they are relegated to the bedroom in the double parked shelves.  :lol:  

• Like 5

I  finished #50. Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It was en endearing read. Now I can go see the movie.

James speech therapist just mentioned it today since she went to see it this weekend!  I just watched the trailer. Now I want to read the book and see the movie.  :001_smile:

• Like 7

Now I'm super curious about the books people are hiding in their bedrooms! My nightstand is stacked high with books that I intend to read very very soon. So soon that I've had to start dusting them. I need more time for reading!!!

• Like 5

Consider yourself warned that if you invite me into your house I'm going to snoop at your bookshelves. This is how I decide if we can be friends or not. If you don't have bookshelves then I will wonder where you've hidden all your books. Since I live in the midwest and we have such a different idea of rude than most of the world I will happily let any of my guests browse my bookshelves. I will also give them a tour of my house. (I only recently learned that giving a full house tour is a midwest thing!"

I've been exploring bingo and bookology plans for 2018 and have ended up following quite a few rabbit trails.  So much fun!!!!

What would you all like to see highlighted next year?  I'm thinking another trip around the world - hopping about in no particular order.  We've already have an Asian read, and england mystery road trip.  I'm feeling drawn to icelandic and scandinavian mysteries.  At this point, tipping into the mystery area pretty heavily.  Any suggestions for authors both male and female, books or authors or different historical periods or internationally,  you've been  meaning to check out, but haven't.   

I've had zero success with the birthstone challenges but I enjoy seeing what other people are reading. 

Some bookish posts ~

21 Things Book Lovers Feel Slightly Guilty About (this has a War and Peace cartoon!)

I love this. I've forwarded it onto all my bookclub people just now. And I had to laugh because I posted my nightstand confession earlier before reading the link and I see they talk about the nightstand. 

I frequently use another book as a bookmark because my books seem to travel in pairs. Or I use my phone. Sometimes I use my kindle which doesn't even make sense. 

• Like 8

Finished 3 books this week...

138. The Beet Queen by Louise Erdrich - In spite of all the characters in this novel being incredibly flawed, I somehow still found them sympathetic.  I found it interesting that in a post-note Erdrich said that this was her most autobiographical novel, in that she saw herself in Dot, who is perhaps the most flawed character of all - although she noted that Dot is who she felt like inside, and how I think she wished she could act, but in real life she was supposed to be a 'good girl' and never vented her rage or hung out with all the 'bad' kids as Dot did.  For the "Queen in the Title' square, as I moved Mongol Queens to the 'Silk Road' square.  4 stars.

139. Greenglass House by Kate Milford (ebook) - This is a nice little mid-grades mystery.  Odd cast of characters shows up mysteriously the week before Christmas at main character's parents' inn.  Location and time unspecified.  Smugglers abound, but they're the good guys.  Boy and his new friend, who has also just showed up, attempt to figure out what's really going on.  For the Edgar Award square. 3.5 stars.

140. Engelsstimme/Voices by Arnaldur Indriðason - another nice addition to the Inspector Erlendur mysteries.  I like the thread of character development among the main characters from book to book, and we also get some more back story about Erlendur's obsession with missing people in the snow.  For either the 'Book bought used' or 'Iceland' square, depending on where I'll need it most.  And yes, I've read I think 6 books from Iceland this year and still haven't got anything in that box... 4 stars.

And weird synergy, I realized that two of the books I was reading were mysteries set in hotels over Christmas (both of them end on Christmas Eve).

Currently reading:

Going Postal (audiobook) - I couldn't bring it up with me on the long car ride I took with dh this weekend as I didn't think he'd want to listen to it and it's on CD so I can't listen to it anywhere else but the car and can't use earbuds for that either.  

The Map Thief (audiobook) by Michael Blanding - so I started a second audiobook (on my phone).  Actually started listening to it with dh in car on the way back, as I thought he might enjoy it as well.  Nonfiction about a rare antiquarian maps dealer who stole a lot of what he sold; includes a lot of history of cartography and cartographers.  

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver (ebook) - not that far in yet.

Coming up:

I think my next hardcopy book is going to be El olvido que seremos rather grimly titled Oblivion: A Memoir in English.  It's a book about the author's father who was killed by the Colombian drug cartels.  That sounds depressing, but the reviews were really good.  Needed a book set in South America (I know, irony, see 'Iceland' above...).  And I think I will try starting in on Women of the Klondike in case it drags on so I have enough time to finish it if I can only manage a bit at a time... (unless there's another last-minute suggestion for 'Gold Rush' that anyone wants to add   :bigear: )

• Like 9

Now I'm super curious about the books people are hiding in their bedrooms! ...

I have some R- and X-rated books in my bedroom,  Admittedly, I also shelve JD Robb, Star Trek, romances of every stripe, Calvin and Hobbes, the Far Side, my Don Camillo collection, and many other books in the bedroom as the living room book shelves are filled with other books.

Just for fun: I'd never seen this even though it is years old.  You?

Hogwarts Spam

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Matryoshka, The only gold rush books I have read recently are The Sister's Brothers and The Boneshaker. I was not a fan of The Sister's Brothers but someone liked it, enough sad. The Boneshaker is a stretch but it had gold mining in Seattle, I think. It's steampunk.

• Like 8

I've been exploring bingo and bookology plans for 2018 and have ended up following quite a few rabbit trails. So much fun!!!!

What would you all like to see highlighted next year? I'm thinking another trip around the world - hopping about in no particular order. We've already have an Asian read, and england mystery road trip. I'm feeling drawn to icelandic and scandinavian mysteries. At this point, tipping into the mystery area pretty heavily. Any suggestions for authors both male and female, books or authors or different historical periods or internationally, you've been meaning to check out, but haven't.

I have started going through my wish lists at libraries and trying to organize by country/continent. I seem to have way more ideas than I ever expected! I have been collecting these for three years so I guess it's understandable. Many are mysteries..... No surprise there! I will try and post them tomorrow.

• Like 8

Hello friends!  It's the craziest time of year in the life of a freelance musician. I have 7 different music gigs, 9 concerts total, between the 1st and 10th of December. Then I have 5 days to clean house, buy groceries and get ready for the Japan boy who is coming home for Christmas.  :party:

Audiobooks are my friend this time of year. I'm 2/5 of the way through Oathbringer, the Brandon Sanderson epic fantasy.  Why 2/5? Because the audible download is broken into 5 parts and I've just finished the 2nd part. My other audiobook is my annual re-listen to Hogfather, which is what I listen to at bedtime to shut down my brain.

I will drop in when I can, if only to  :seeya:

• Like 9

Hello friends! It's the craziest time of year in the life of a freelance musician. I have 7 different music gigs, 9 concerts total, between the 1st and 10th of December. Then I have 5 days to clean house, buy groceries and get ready for the Japan boy who is coming home for Christmas. :party:

Audiobooks are my friend this time of year. I'm 2/5 of the way through Oathbringer, the Brandon Sanderson epic fantasy. Why 2/5? Because the audible download is broken into 5 parts and I've just finished the 2nd part. My other audiobook is my annual re-listen to Hogfather, which is what I listen to at bedtime to shut down my brain.

I will drop in when I can, if only to :seeya:

Don’t forget to enjoy the music!

I wish I could drop in and listen to you :)

• Like 9

I have been trying to figure out how to EASILY share a list of my Asia plans for next year. I think this might be the easiest way for everyone. Think of it as my Dream List ;) ..some I have already read but plan to read more by the author. If I manage six of these I will be pleased.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/51042385?shelf=asia

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 9

I think I read all the Kinsey Millhone novels up to M or N. They were some of my favorites but then either my tastes changed or they became a little repetitive. I'll have to read Z when it comes out and see how it ends for her. 

This is interesting also for Kinsey fans. It's bits from her journal as she was writing different books.

http://www.suegrafton.com/journal-notes.php

125/125 books :)

https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/6886062

But some of them were less then 100 pages (compensating my 400+ Pages) books

Yay!

Hello friends!  It's the craziest time of year in the life of a freelance musician. I have 7 different music gigs, 9 concerts total, between the 1st and 10th of December. Then I have 5 days to clean house, buy groceries and get ready for the Japan boy who is coming home for Christmas.  :party:

Audiobooks are my friend this time of year. I'm 2/5 of the way through Oathbringer, the Brandon Sanderson epic fantasy.  Why 2/5? Because the audible download is broken into 5 parts and I've just finished the 2nd part. My other audiobook is my annual re-listen to Hogfather, which is what I listen to at bedtime to shut down my brain.

I will drop in when I can, if only to  :seeya:

What a fun and fantastic December! How long will your son be in town for?

• Like 6

Matryoshka, The only gold rush books I have read recently are The Sister's Brothers and The Boneshaker. I was not a fan of The Sister's Brothers but someone liked it, enough sad. The Boneshaker is a stretch but it had gold mining in Seattle, I think. It's steampunk.

I think I might get both of these out of the library just to have on hand in case the Klondike book is a dud... thanks :)

• Like 6

I think I read all the Kinsey Millhone novels up to M or N. They were some of my favorites but then either my tastes changed or they became a little repetitive. 

I did the same thing. I don't even remember why I stopped but every time I think about going back to finish it just doesn't appeal to me. Also, I don't remember exactly where I ended and even when I read the synopsis of the few where I think I stopped it doesn't help. That's probably because they all started sounding the same after a while.

• Like 6