Menu

When the magic is gone from Christmas

DawnM

I have been adding in new events, more to make Christmas sweet rather than exciting. I now wake the boys while dressed as a reindeer.

A few years ago I started decorating the porch.

This year we will have new candle chimes on the sitting room table.

When three of the grandparents died, the dog started giving gifts (signed with a paw print) of clothes, as she worries we are cold without fur. That's five more gifts under the tree, but not junk.

We read The Journey of the Magi by Eliot.

Little things.

We do all sorts of little things and variations and dress up and I make a special breakfast and noon meal, we have cider, we give gifts to neighbors and friends, etc......

That isn't really what I was getting at.

I will still enjoy the season. I will enjoy the parties, festivities, planning, gift giving, decorations, and season.

I will still miss *MY* kids getting excited in the same way they used to when they were little.

• Like 5

Seared on my mind is Hobbes' face the first year I poked my head around the door, antlers first. Rarely have I seen someone's jaw actually drop.

:lol:

Maybe I should get a Santa suit.  I think my younger kid would fip about that.  He only recently figured it out and I swear he is still on the fence about the truth.  :laugh:

• Like 1

DawnM, I believe this thread is so large that people are extrapolating and replying to others' and possibly giving ideas to help all different kinds of people and situations that feel this way.

I think it can be helpful to a wide variety of people and myself have been appreciating ALL the different kinds of ideas that are being offered up. 😀 It's okay that their ideas might not apply to you and your family, because the ideas might help someone else. It seems to be a wide issue that affects families in different ways.

• Like 3

DawnM, I believe this thread is so large that people are extrapolating and replying to others' and possibly giving ideas to help all different kinds of people and situations that feel this way.

I think it can be helpful to a wide variety of people and myself have been appreciating ALL the different kinds of ideas that are being offered up. 😀 It's okay that their ideas might not apply to you and your family, because the ideas might help someone else. It seems to be a wide issue that affects families in different ways.

Yeah, that is why I asked.

It's ok, I just always appreciate when people quote who they are responding to, esp if it is somewhat specific, like, "Maybe you should" and it doesn't seem to fit the OP.  This isn't just for this thread, just in general.

• Like 2

My kids still look forward to their stockings the most.  Gets harder and harder to find some useful little things, but they really look for the magic there.  We also still do the Christmas Eve service together, and some years we'll drive around looking at lights afterwards.

After the gift opening, we watch an old movie together.  Right now we love It Happened on Fifth Avenue.  Then we play games.  A few years ago we pulled out the Lego bin.  The boys had a great time visiting and building again.  :)  Once in a while we'll go out to a movie.  It's a good lazy day for us workaholics.

This year we're trying to get all the now married grandkids to get together at my parents, which we've done all their growing up years.  They've balked at joining the adult gift exchange (we drew names) a few years back, so we don't do that anymore, although my mom and one sister and I like to gift small items yet.  We do continue to have a white elephant exchange tho, which keeps us all laughing and takes a while, since there are now 16 of us.  The stuff can be new, used, or freebies you collected-- my dad's famous for a box of freebies from Menards. 

Thinking we need to shake it up this year with some new traditions since my parents' house is getting to be a tight fit.  I'm going to suggest a trip to Bentleyville (huge light display) to get most everyone out for a while.  And maybe the women can check out my mom's favorite mansion that's all decked out while the guys have some peace for a good card game.  If we each bring an appetizer, that will save mom lots of work cooking.  Otherwise, we play lots of card games, or some other game for a crowd.

And I am taking the time to enjoy the season this year, for a change.  Spent the weekend doing some decorating, and hope to have the tree up this week.  Usually it's all done more as an afterthought close to Christmas Eve.  I WANT TO ENJOY THE SEASON THIS YEAR!  And I've been thinking about sending out Christmas cards, too, which I haven't done lately.  Thinking it's up to me to set the joyful tone, something I've left out the weeks leading up to Christmas the last few years.

Edited by Tina
  • Like 2

Yeah, it just isn't quite the same for me.  

(and I don't think a boob mug would work for our white elephant exchanges, as they are mostly at church!  :lol: )

I did a questionable white elephant at church once.  Made 'slippers' out of women's pads.  Packaged it with some stationery that would point to someone else. lol  She called me on it afterwards, laughing.

• Like 1

We get ds his big gift that he asks for, or money if he wants that, but we still manage to find things to wrap up for him that he has no clue about. He also really enjoys picking out gifts and giving them to others. We try to do a few activities during December, too. We usually go to an old church in Sleepy Hollow to see a story teller perform Dicken's 'Christmas Carol' and go out for dinner afterwards. We've done this for 5 years now. We are also planning on visiting a drive-through Christmas light display. Christmas eve we have a large family dinner and exchange gifts with family, and then we do a quieter gift exchange after everyone leaves. We have a silly tradition of hiding a small gift for each of us in the tree that ds started when he was younger, and we still enjoy doing that. A few years ago we started having a big basket of bagels, cream cheeses, pastries and muffins delivered Christmas morning. It's a nice treat and we can relax instead of making a big breakfast. We all love Christmas, especially dh, and he will never let the magic die, lol. Christmas when ds was younger was actually very stressful (Asperger's and Christmas don't often play nicely together!) so it is more fun now in a way than it was in the younger years. To satisfy our toy buying urges we do the angel tree at church. 

• Like 2

We get ds his big gift that he asks for, or money if he wants that, but we still manage to find things to wrap up for him that he has no clue about. He also really enjoys picking out gifts and giving them to others. We try to do a few activities during December, too. We usually go to an old church in Sleepy Hollow to see a story teller perform Dicken's 'Christmas Carol' and go out for dinner afterwards. We've done this for 5 years now. We are also planning on visiting a drive-through Christmas light display. Christmas eve we have a large family dinner and exchange gifts with family, and then we do a quieter gift exchange after everyone leaves. We have a silly tradition of hiding a small gift for each of us in the tree that ds started when he was younger, and we still enjoy doing that. A few years ago we started having a big basket of bagels, cream cheeses, pastries and muffins delivered Christmas morning. It's a nice treat and we can relax instead of making a big breakfast. We all love Christmas, especially dh, and he will never let the magic die, lol. Christmas when ds was younger was actually very stressful (Asperger's and Christmas don't often play nicely together!) so it is more fun now in a way than it was in the younger years. To satisfy our toy buying urges we do the angel tree at church. 

You might like the German tradition of hiding a pickle ornament on the tree.  There's a special gift for whomever finds the pickle.  :)

• Like 1

You might like the German tradition of hiding a pickle ornament on the tree.  There's a special gift for whomever finds the pickle.  :)

My oldest loves pickles!  In fact, he was really excited to find out one of the schools he was interested in has a mascot of The Pickle!  (It is UNCSA if anyone is interested in searching.)

I JAWY, but I also have a suggestion. I really look out for little things that are unexpected. Like last year my oldest got one of those beach couches. At some point during the year she off-handedly mentioned wanting one and I bookmarked it in pinterest. Christmas morning, it was $20 of delight as she took up the entire living room with it. 

My kids generally get the one big thing and a really small smattering of other gifts. To me, the big things feel impersonal, but those little gifts are where the magic is at. When I say small, I'm talking maybe 3 other gifts. We keep things pretty mellow on Christmas.

One of my biggest hits was a personal jar of pickles for each family member.

• Like 1

I JAWY, but I also have a suggestion. I really look out for little things that are unexpected. Like last year my oldest got one of those beach couches. At some point during the year she off-handedly mentioned wanting one and I bookmarked it in pinterest. Christmas morning, it was $20 of delight as she took up the entire living room with it. 

My kids generally get the one big thing and a really small smattering of other gifts. To me, the big things feel impersonal, but those little gifts are where the magic is at. When I say small, I'm talking maybe 3 other gifts. We keep things pretty mellow on Christmas.

One of my biggest hits was a personal jar of pickles for each family member.

Thanks.  We do that.  I get way more excited than they do.  Teen boys.....I may get a smile and thank you, but never a "delight."  Last year it was hammocks and musical things they had said they wanted  but didn't put on their list.

Yes, we do lists.....that doesn't mean my children aren't grateful for what they have already or what they might get, nor are they angry or upset if they don't get what is on their list  (this last part isn't directed at you, just the general.)

Same here. Mine are in college. Youngest and I were in Target shopping for Angel Tree gifts, and I felt sad. The kid we were buying for wanted an Uno game and some crafty things. No more. No Legos or Nerf guns either.

Thankfully I've got nearly everything for the two of them ordered. My older one primarily wants high-end makeup and a few books, and my older one is headed out to bootcamp in January, so I've bought certain things he'll need for that and a new pair of running shoes. I figured out a few things they didn't ask for too.

The good thing about this phase of raising them is that they have become such interesting young adults. They perpetually awe me with their observations and wisdom.

• Like 1

Thanks. We do that. I get way more excited than they do. Teen boys.....I may get a smile and thank you, but never a "delight." Last year it was hammocks and musical things they had said they wanted but didn't put on their list.

Yes, we do lists.....that doesn't mean my children aren't grateful for what they have already or what they might get, nor are they angry or upset if they don't get what is on their list (this last part isn't directed at you, just the general.)

Oh, I totally hear you with those teen boys. I definitely benefit from having the 2 girls to bring the energy up.

My personal Christmas bummer is that I don’t think my oldest is going to make it home. That will completely change our Christmas morning energy and it makes me super sad.

Oh, I totally hear you with those teen boys. I definitely benefit from having the 2 girls to bring the energy up.

My personal Christmas bummer is that I don’t think my oldest is going to make it home. That will completely change our Christmas morning energy and it makes me super sad.

My middle son will be gone, too.  :(