Menu

Holiday desserts

Night Elf

I know we all have our tried and true recipes we use every year, but I want to know is there anything new you're going to try?

I baked a batch of almond crescent cookies recently, testing them for Christmas, and I wasn't impressed. I need to find something new to try. I'm thinking some kind of bar cookie. Maybe lemon? I remember tasting one of those years ago and liking it.

What about you?

I know we all have our tried and true recipes we use every year, but I want to know is there anything new you're going to try?

I baked a batch of almond crescent cookies recently, testing them for Christmas, and I wasn't impressed. I need to find something new to try. I'm thinking some kind of bar cookie. Maybe lemon? I remember tasting one of those years ago and liking it.

What about you?

If you want a really good lemon bar recipe, I sell this one at bake sales and get great reviews.

Just need to make 2 changes.  The last 1/4 cup of flour that is used in the filling should be 1/3 cup and use 2/3 cup lemon juice (from a bottles is just fine) instead of squeezing lemons.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10294/the-best-lemon-bars/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%201

I don't try new recipes out for holidays very often because we have so many we already love that I have a hard time limiting it down.  

One year I made over 20 kinds of cookies but my family said it was too many and so now I have to try to pick out just 7-8 favorites.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

If you want a really good lemon bar recipe, I sell this one at bake sales and get great reviews.

Just need to make 2 changes.  The last 1/4 cup of flour that is used in the filling should be 1/3 cup and use 2/3 cup lemon juice (from a bottles is just fine) instead of squeezing lemons.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10294/the-best-lemon-bars/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%201

I don't try new recipes out for holidays very often because we have so many we already love that I have a hard time limiting it down.  

One year I made over 20 kinds of cookies but my family said it was too many and so now I have to try to pick out just 7-8 favorites.

Thank you. That looks like something I can handle. :)

I have two new recipes I'm trying out for Thanksgiving:

Pecan pie bars

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2013/01/the-best-ever-pecan-bars.html

And pumpkin cheesecake balls:

http://whoneedsacape.com/2015/09/no-bake-pumpkin-cheesecake-balls/

Oooo...those pecan pie bars look YUMMY! I’ve just added them to my thanksgiving menu. :) Thanks!

Well Christmas is hot here so I always make coconut ice and jelly slice. My sister in law always makes pavlova.

I have always wanted to try pavlova. It’s not something I see around here often, but I have seen it on offer a time or two, like at a café. Still haven’t tried it yet, though!

• Like 1

if  you want to do bar cookies for Christmas -do nanaimo bars.   they're more festive than many bar cookies.

I'm not sure what I'm doing for Christmas dinner dessert. I'm inclined to do chocolate hazelnut Christmas tree stump again.  http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20021218&slug=cake18

it's extremely rich, easily serves 20. it also takes about three days to make.  it's a stump because it's too fat to be a yule log.

I don't know why it won't let me insert a hyperlink.

• Like 1

I have always wanted to try pavlova. It’s not something I see around here often, but I have seen it on offer a time or two, like at a café. Still haven’t tried it yet, though!

It's delicious! And an aussie staple lol. My SIL is a master pav maker, top with whipped cream and fresh fruit - incl. passion fruit from the backyard grapevine - quintessential aussie dessert. Yum.

• Like 1

if  you want to do bar cookies for Christmas -do nanaimo bars.   they're more festive than many bar cookies.

And they are delicious.

We will make our standards mostly: chocolate chip cookie dough truffles, molasses cookies (my grandma's recipe), sugar cookies (because little kids), and eggwhite cookies with chocolate chips and peppermint.

I would also like to try lemon chocolate truffles this year.

While I love baking, I don't have as much time for it with 4 little kids, so everything has to be fast/easy.

I love this easy peanut butter candy:

Bring 1 cup of white sugar, 1 cup of light Karo, and 1 cup of peanut butter to a boil. Remove from heat. Fold in 6 cups of cornflakes. Drop onto wax paper until firm.

My kids love these and always ask for then. Just make sure the mixture comes to a full boil and immediately remove from heat.

I also love to so sugar cookies the kids can Frost and decorate. We also do peanut butter cookies with chocolate pretzels for antlers, a red M and M for a nose and green M and M for eyes. ETA: to look like reindeer

Edited by meganrussell

I tried a new peppermint cookie recipe last week that was easier than my other one, but not as tasty.  So I'll do the harder one for better taste LOL

This year DS is no longer allergic to nuts.  I'm going all out and we will be doing all new recipes.  peanut butter balls, cookies with nuts in/on them.  Cheesecakes with nut crusts.  I have recipes I've been keeping forever in hopes this allergy would go away.  Now to enjoy them all again.