Menu

cat sitting - what should I know

summerreading

My friend is going away for a few months. She has a spayed outdoor female cat and I know she hasn't had any of her shots. She's a few years old. 

I have a 6 month old indoor cat that is getting neutered this month (before any cat sitting would happen)

If we were to cat sit I'd ask her to have the cat tested for FIV/FELV. Her cat would not be going outside here, but I feel like I should ask my friend to have all the shots done anyway. Also, I would ask to have a meet and greet first with the 2 cats to make sure they won't hate each other. I plan to ask how they want to handle emergencies b/c I don't have a second cat's emergency fund. 

I'm sure I am missing something here, what else? 

Random thoughts. Friends cat is likely to become yours. I think the new cat will want to go out.if she hasnt given the cat basic shots I would be worried she doesn’t want to pay for them. How will you decide how much vet care if needed? It will take longer than a visit for cats to tolerate each other. And they may not. The list goes on. And no rabies shot?

• Like 1

Random thoughts. Friends cat is likely to become yours. I think the new cat will want to go out.if she hasnt given the cat basic shots I would be worried she doesn’t want to pay for them. How will you decide how much vet care if needed? It will take longer than a visit for cats to tolerate each other. And they may not. The list goes on. And no rabies shot?

It's highly unlikely they'll get along well from the beginning. Most cats just don't do that. Usually there's a period of hissing and growling. Could last anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. So I'm not so sure that an initial meet and greet is useful.

Ok I don't like the idea of fighting for weeks. 

She can have neighbors check on the cat at home. But would this much time in the house basically by herself be bad for the cat?

Ok I don't like the idea of fighting for weeks.

She can have neighbors check on the cat at home. But would this much time in the house basically by herself be bad for the cat?

Can you visit the cat for a few hours each day in her own home, or is there a way to keep the cats separate at your house if they don't get along?

And they might get along. You just can't tell for sure.

I agree that a meeting won't help you anticipate how the months will go.

Does she have a backup sitter with no pets who could take the cat if it isn't working out?

Your vet could be helpful with advice.

Are you close enough to just take care of the cat at her home?

Eta: saw pp that neighbors could watch the cat at home.

Edited by happi duck

Why would you insist on the disease testing.  Just curious.

Because it is like cat HIV and they get it and spread it through fighting. They got her from a shelter so she must have had an initial set of shots, but that was awhile ago.  I guess she would just need a booster. 

To answer the other questions: I'm half an hour away. It wouldn't work out to visit. Our house is small but she could live in our basement if they end up fighting. We'd have to move our cat's litter but he'd have to deal. 

An outdoor cat is likely NOT going to tolerate being locked up inside for months.  We have tried to convert 2 former outdoor cats and have ended up with mangled mini-blinds and screens as well as door dashers. If the cat were left alone in the friend's house, it would likely become feral within just a few weeks.  If the neighbors are willing to care for her where she can stay home in her own habitat with regular interaction, it would likely be best. 

• Like 1

If the cat is an outdoor cat, she will probably not like being in the house. So the idea of transplanting an outdoor cat into your house is a bad one, for that reason alone. Adding a second cat into the mix makes it worse.

Why can the cat not stay where she is, with somebody going to put food into her usual spot? 

ETA: Our cat left her former owners and moved onto our property because she did not tolerate the other cats they had acquired.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I don't think that taking an outdoor cat and putting it in your house is a good idea.

1) Outdoor cat is not going to get along with your cat.  We have introduced many cats to each other.  In the best case scenario it too a couple of weeks.  Then, we had two cats that about 4 months to even be in the same room without fighting.  It took lots of patience and was pretty stressful.  I'm not certain I would want to go through that for a cat that wasn't mine, and we would just be giving back.

2)  I do not think that this is a good idea for said cat who lives outside to go to a brand new location and be locked in a basement.  Stressed cats do weird things.  We had a stressed cat lick all their fur off their belly one time.

I do not have any ideas for you.  But, I would seriously consider that this is not going to work out like you think it is.  

• Like 1

I am currently cat sitting for a guy who moved several states away, until February (gov't job). I go over to his house and scoop boxes and feed/water his two cats 3X a week. He pays me $15 a visit plus a little extra, and provides all food and litter. I clean up puke, too...

It's sad, really. The cats took two MONTHS to come to me. They are scared, nearly feral, and really, it just would be so much better to have someone foster them. 

So, I don't agree with making visits, even daily. (And you can't, anyway.)

One solution, if you feel you must cat sit--go ahead and let the cat be an indoor/outdoor cat at your place. Use a leash if possible to acclimate the cat to your surroundings, and then make sure yours doesn't go out. 

It would be difficult, but it can be done.

Otherwise, I'd gently suggest to your friend that she find a true foster situation, or a pet sitter who doesn't have a cat. Or a house sitter. Or anyone, except you.