Menu

Frivolous question - advice on furnishing a sun room

PrincessMommy

We bought a house with a 3 season sunroom that we hope to someday make into a 4 season one.  It has baseboard heat that can be turned on when it's in use, but otherwise it is like having a garage... unheated/air conditioned.

We got rid of our old couch when we were preparing to put the other house on the market because it was old and dilapidated.  I would like to put a small sectional type couch in the sun room.   I'm wondering about the type though.  

Would you buy a patio type sectional because of the heat/cold issues when the room is not in use?  Or would you buy a traditional living room type sofa/sectional?

I'm concerned about a big couch not heating up/cooling off easily, and dealing with mildew.  I live in a very humid climate.   OTOH, how comfortable are those patio couches?  I plan to use this room like a family room/dining room (there is room for a big family table too).  

I'm thinking about something like this:

https://www.wayfair.com/Birch-Lane%E2%84%A2-Brookhaven-Sectional-with-Cushions-BL12806.html

or this for traditional:

https://www.wayfair.com/Red-Barrel-Studio-Bloomquist-Sleeper-Sectional-RDBL1816.html

Congrats on your new house!

Because of the humidity, I would opt for patio furniture.

We have a 4 season sunroom and I use it as my office. I love it because of all the light, but despite being heated, it still gets pretty chilly in there in the winter because of all the glass.

• Like 1

I like the wicker for a sunroom because I just like the way it looks. Comfort probably matters more here it this turns out to be everyone's favorite room. Papasan furniture could work on a porch and is crazy comfortable. It would be easy to pull in the cushions during the off season. I had a friend who put a little potbelly stove in her sunroom so they could use it year-around and if was a wonderful space. I'd love yo have that room.

• Like 4

My grandma furnished it with lawn furniture type stuff. But I have friends that went with house type furniture. For grandma, it felt more outdoorsy. It was added on and the entrance to the sunroom was the actual backdoor. For my friends, the sunroom was more like just a less formal room to the back of the house.

I like the wicker for a sunroom because I just like the way it looks. Comfort probably matters more here it this turns out to be everyone's favorite room. Papasan furniture could work on a porch and is crazy comfortable. It would be easy to pull in the cushions during the off season. I had a friend who put a little potbelly stove in her sunroom so they could use it year-around and if was a wonderful space. I'd love yo have that room.

We're considering some kind of free standing stove (wood or pellet) in the future.  I've got so many ideas running in my head but no money!!  Can't wait until the other house sells.  

Congrats!   :hurray:

I vote for wicker with removable cushions (assuming you have climate-controlled space to store the cushions).  If you feel strongly about comfort and the 4-season idea and can make it happen soon, just focus on getting it done before buying furniture.

• Like 2

We have typical indoor (leather) furniture and a TV in ours but . . . ours has heat and AC (built in ancient unit that supplies both) and good vertical blinds to control sun exposure. We use it almost year round, on all but the hottest and coldest days. Even on those days we keep it heated/cooled enough that there are no worries about the furniture or TV.

Without heat/AC I'd lean towards wicker or outdoor type furniture.

That looks like a pretty comfortable set, except that there is no cushioning over the arms.  That would be a deal breaker for us as DH likes to doze with his head on a sofa arm.

Also, just in general, I hate to buy upholstered furniture without sitting on it.  It's often the case that it's too deep for me, since I have short legs.  That picture looks pretty cushy though.

I have sat on enough brands of outdoor furniture to be pretty confident that Portofino 'fits' me pretty well.  It's not too high, and not too deep, and it has great deep cushiness.  So I actually bought Portofino chaise lounges from Costco without ever sitting on them, and they worked out great.  If I were getting a sectional, I'd look for that brand because I already know it works for me.  YMMV, but it's a pretty good method if you don't have a showroom with your exact model available in the area.

• Like 1

for those with patio furniture, how comfy is it. Is it comfortable enough to say...nap on? Or is it woven plasticy?

If buying online, I'd look for something with lots of or very thorough reviews. Comfort always comes up in furniture reviews. If it's possible to buy in person, try it out!
  • Like 1