Menu

If you make your own stir fry sauce..

SparklyUnicorn

My basic stir-fry sauce is soy sauce, sesame oil (a tad), garlic, ginger, and red chile flakes. For teriyaki-ish flavors, I increase the ginger and add brown sugar and pineapple juice. For Chinese flavours, I sub hoisin for soy sauce and leave out the ginger. For Thai flavors, I decrease the soy, eliminate the sesame oil and add fish sauce, lime juice and Mirin. For Vietnamese (my fave) flavors, I use Mirin, white sugar, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, and garlic-chili paste (no soy sauce) for a basic Nuoc mam. Add a bit of cornstarch if you like thicker sauces.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

I use soy sauce, chx or beef stock, rice vinegar, sesame oil, a little brown sugar and arrowroot as a thickener.

Lots of garlic and ginger, plus some crushed red pepper. Not too much heat, since dh will add Siracha generously to his portion.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

Sometimes I add a bit of mirin (rice wine) as well.

I tend to stay away from fish sauce because of the very high sodium content. 

Mirin is very difficult to find.  Never saw it in a liquor store and they can't sell liquor of any kind in grocery stores (so not even an Asian market would carry it).

I probably could order it on-line.

Mirin is very difficult to find. Never saw it in a liquor store and they can't sell liquor of any kind in grocery stores (so not even an Asian market would carry it).

I probably could order it on-line.

Whole Foods and our natural foods coop sell it. I'll check the local grocery; I'm pretty sure they do too. It's typically found in the Asian section--it's not liquor. Unless NY has extra crazy laws?! Rice vinegar can be substituted at any rate.

A favourite super simple sauce (yummy on salads too):

4 Tbs soy sauce/tamari

4 Tbs toasted sesame oil

2 Tbs brown rice vinegar

Another:

1/4 cup soy sauce/tamari

1 Tbs toasted sesame oil

1 Tbs sriracha

1 Tbs rice vinegar

1 tsp curry powder

The dc still living at home don't care for teriyaki flavors so for stir fry I use the sesame chicken sauce from Budget Bytes. I double most of the ingredients except the cornstarch and ginger (dc don't like ginger). I also omit the sesame seeds. I don't follow her directions for the chicken prep--I just do my regular stir-fry with chicken and lots of veggies.

Some combo of:

soy sauce

oyster sauce 

fish sauce

for the base, then a sweetener- such as brown sugar, honey, orange juice, white sugar, etc, 

then an acid, such as lime juice, rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar, and then I usually throw in things like: ginger or ginger paste, hot chili garlic paste, garlic, scallion, sesame seeds and or sesame oil. 

Then I throw in a little cornstarch/water slurry at the end to thicken.