Menu

Old apples?

solascriptura

I don't even like to make apple crisp with apples like that.  I'd toss them.  Apples are not nutritious enough to want to eat them if they don't taste good.  Not worth the calories IMO.

The bolded is such a bizarre statement. The main point of eating is to consume calories. Those apples are a valuable source of calories, and the idea of throwing them away as "not nutritious enough" is just alien to me. My mom went begging for food as a child, and this would have been a crime in our house. There are many people who don't get enough to eat.

• Like 3

The bolded is such a bizarre statement. The main point of eating is to consume calories. Those apples are a valuable source of calories, and the idea of throwing them away as "not nutritious enough" is just alien to me. My mom went begging for food as a child, and this would have been a crime in our house. There are many people who don't get enough to eat.

LOL, that's me, bizarre.

My view is that they are not nutritious enough to be worth eating if they don't taste good.

I used to try to rescue whatever food we had around no matter what, but now I reserve that for food that has the nutrition that I specifically need.

I similarly feel no obligation to finish a dessert that I don't care for--again, it's not nutritious enough on balance to be worthwhile putting into my limited calorie intake if it doesn't have either a lot of protein or vitamins.

Apples are not bad for you, but they are fairly high in sugar and low in vitamins compared to most fruits.  They do have rather a lot of pectin, right under the skin, which is healthy, but they are not vitamin powerhouses like berries or tomatoes. 

• Like 1

I'd grate them into muffins or chop them an add them to oatmeal or make carmelized apples or make a crisp (easier than pie), make sauce, or a make smoorthy. The options are endless. Apples are almost always salvageable in my books.

• Like 1

I'd grate them into muffins or chop them an add them to oatmeal or make carmelized apples or make a crisp (easier than pie), make sauce, or a make smoorthy. The options are endless. Apples are almost always salvageable in my books.

Yup, I use a lot of apples in winter when other fruit tend to be imported.  By March they aren't as flavourful as they might be, but you can still spruce them up.

OP, most of the suggestions have been sweets, but they might also be good in something savoury.  You could try cooking some up with pork, or red cabbage is good because the vinegar adds some zing to the apples.  Or I like to put them in a pie with leeks, ham, and potatoes, mixed up with a white sauce made with hard cider.

• Like 2