Menu

Dr. Hive - nutritionist help (and disordered eating)

Night Elf

So my therapist doesn't think I have a defined eating disorder, but I do have disordered eating. She has worked with clients in the past with this type of issue so she's confident we can work on it without me needing to go to an eating disorder facility, although my psychiatrist suggested I go for an intake appointment, but she told me that before I started therapy. My regular GP gave me a referral to a nutritionist and I have an appointment next week. What do I ask at that appointment? I don't understand what I'm going there for except to ask how healthy weight ranges work. I track food and Weight Watcher points but not calories so if she talks calories I can only give an estimate of how many I eat a day. What else will a nutritionist do for me? Or for someone like me with disordered eating?

BTW, I haven't tossed out the idea of going to an eating disorder facility but I'd like to try to work with my therapist on this first. I looked at the facility's website and they seem to help people with defined disorders. I don't know where I would fit in. So therapy outside a facility is my first choice.

I don't have any specific answers for you, but I think your decision to try working with your therapist instead of immediately going to an eating disorder clinic is very reasonable. I admire you for realizing that you have a problem and for taking active steps to try to get the help you need. The fact that you are so open to getting help leads me to firmly believe you will be successful.

I know I can't usually speak for everyone here, but in this case, I really believe we are all here to support you any time you need to talk. :grouphug:

• Like 6

I don't have any specific answers for you, but I think your decision to try working with your therapist instead of immediately going to an eating disorder clinic is very reasonable. I admire you for realizing that you have a problem and for taking active steps to try to get the help you need. The fact that you are so open to getting help leads me to firmly believe you will be successful.

I know I can't usually speak for everyone here, but in this case, I really believe we are all here to support you any time you need to talk. :grouphug:

Thank you very much. This board is so helpful in so many ways. :)

• Like 1

So glad you are getting help.  Do you like the therapist?  I agree with your decision about sticking with the therapist for now and I think the nutritionist will just make sure you are eating a well-balanced diet.

I need to follow your lead and go for help, too.  I've suffered from eating disorders forever and feel very trapped, but afraid to change.  

There are nutritionists/dietitians that specialize in eating disorders. I assume you would be seeing one that is and not only will you discuss the nutritional aspect but also the emotional and life component of your eating habits. Hopefully this will help steer you away from disordered eating. You may check out the intuitive eating website.

• Like 2

There are nutritionists/dietitians that specialize in eating disorders. I assume you would be seeing one that is and not only will you discuss the nutritional aspect but also the emotional and life component of your eating habits. Hopefully this will help steer you away from disordered eating. You may check out the intuitive eating website.

I have no idea what she knows. I'm going through my insurance, Kaiser Permanente so it's sort of this is what we have, take it or leave it. She's the only nutritionist at a facility near enough to me. My guess is she's used to working with people who are diabetic or who are trying to lose weight.

I do like my therapist. She has an interesting way of looking at things that make me think. 

I have no idea what macro and micro nutrients are. I hope it's not complicated. I get easily confused and that causes me extreme anxiety.

Is that the reason for the disordered eating? Stress makes the body think it has more important things to worry about than ordinary things like eating. Could be that getting the anxiety under control will fix the eating issues.

:grouphug:

I do like my therapist. She has an interesting way of looking at things that make me think.

I have no idea what macro and micro nutrients are. I hope it's not complicated. I get easily confused and that causes me extreme anxiety.

Macronutrients are things like proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Micronutrients are things like vitamins and minerals.

Best of luck to you! It's wonderful that you're willing to address this issue in your life.

• Like 1

The nutrionist will likely have you keep a food diary for a week or 10 days before your appointment so she can get an idea of what and how much you are eating. Then she can advise you of any changes she thinks are necessary for you to get proper nutrition.

I'm sure this kind of information would be really helpful to bring to the appointment. As well as your typical physical activities in a week. Your body's calories needs includes the calories you burn while moving as well as while sedentary.

• Like 2

The nutrionist will likely have you keep a food diary for a week or 10 days before your appointment so she can get an idea of what and how much you are eating. Then she can advise you of any changes she thinks are necessary for you to get proper nutrition.

Actually I got no information from her before the appointment but I had already thought of this situation. I keep a detailed diary of my food because I'm hyper focused on what I eat so I don't overeat. That's obviously part of my problem. But at least I can show her what I've been doing. The only problem is that I count Weight Watcher points not calories so I'll have to estimate calories. From what I read online, 1 WW point is equivalent to about 40 calories. So we can calculate, at least approximately, my daily calories. 

The very first question I plan to ask her is if she's familiar with eating disorders. If she's not, I might be wasting my time with her. I don't know. I'll talk to her about that and see what she thinks.

• Like 1

Actually I got no information from her before the appointment but I had already thought of this situation. I keep a detailed diary of my food because I'm hyper focused on what I eat so I don't overeat. That's obviously part of my problem. But at least I can show her what I've been doing. The only problem is that I count Weight Watcher points not calories so I'll have to estimate calories. From what I read online, 1 WW point is equivalent to about 40 calories. So we can calculate, at least approximately, my daily calories. 

The very first question I plan to ask her is if she's familiar with eating disorders. If she's not, I might be wasting my time with her. I don't know. I'll talk to her about that and see what she thinks.

I don't think that keeping track of your food to avoid overeating is in itself a problem at all. It's one of the characteristics of people who successfully maintain their weight. If you obsess about every little bit of food to the point of not being able to function in other areas of your life, that's when problems start. 

Hopefully you'll get some helpful information about how to choose a variety of foods to make up the calories that fit well with your body and life style from the nutritionist.  

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but 30 min of exercise, such as walking, daily is another characteristic of people who successfully maintain their weight. Diet and exercise go hand in hand for weight maintenance.