Menu

Thank you, Spy Car, for bringing this to light. I am gladly discarding my Rival crockpot along with my "made in China" Hometrends dishes which showed up with twice the acceptable lead level on a list of tested dinnerware patterns. I am happily reverting to my less than pretty white Corelle dishes and cherishing even more my old Pfaltgraff pattern that has been a mainstay in our household for twenty years and counting. These were both lead-free on the list.

Thank you, Lisa, for posting this list. Not only did I get rid of my ancient Rival crockot, but I have put our old Franciscan China away. We were using it as everyday dinner wear and It was marked red on the list. :eek:

Went out today and picked up some Fiesta Wear at Kohls. It will take me a while, but I will replace it all. It can be very hard not to know what is safe and what is not. Thankfully we did not use either the crockpot or these dishes when the kids were younger, still I hate that we have used them at all.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it was Hornblower who first brought this to light here on WTM, so she deserves any credit (or blame :D).

Yup, that was me. Trouble maker. :001_smile:

It's hard to assess risk in all these cases. What I'm dealing with is a fundamental failure of trust in not only the manufacturers, but also in the government agencies which are meant to be protecting us.

I think there are still a few companies who are taking their brand seriously and are working hard to protect their reputations with an uncompromising commitment to quality. But I think they're few & far between, and the rest are too busy chasing profits by moving production offshore.

Agreed, or should I say "a greed". Thanks for bringing this to attention. I like to live by the old rule caveat emptor, buyer beware. I think it is extremely important for us all to become self-informed. The government and corporations have their own agendas and we as individual citizens are not on the top of the food chain so to speak. :D

Ugh. I have a Rival crockpot that I don't use often but was using regularly for cooking dried beans, which my son likes a lot. I hate threats from things that are hard to detect; it's very disturbing.

Maybe I'll have to get a pressure cooker and pray it doesn't explode.

Yup, that was me. Trouble maker. :001_smile:

It's hard to assess risk in all these cases. What I'm dealing with is a fundamental failure of trust in not only the manufacturers, but also in the government agencies which are meant to be protecting us.

I think there are still a few companies who are taking their brand seriously and are working hard to protect their reputations with an uncompromising commitment to quality. But I think they're few & far between, and the rest are too busy chasing profits by moving production offshore.

Thank you. Today we threw out the crockpot, most of our dishes, and for good measure threw out the toaster and toaster oven.

We replaced the dishes, the toaster oven with toaster/toaster oven combo, and are waiting on the crock pot.

The electric can opener is next on my list. :D:D

So does anyone know anything about the Cuisinart 6qt or Kitchenaid 7qt slow cookers? I found on another forum that someone had called Cuisinart back in March and they said they were lead free. I'd like to know how well these more expensive cookers cook, though, before I go putting that much money into them . . .

Edited by KH_

So does anyone know anything about the Cuisinart 6qt or Kitchenaid 7qt slow cookers? I found on another forum that someone had called Cuisinart back in March and they said they were lead free. I'd like to know how well these more expensive cookers cook, though, before I go putting that much money into them . . .

Again, kind of a non-answer, but here it is:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) strictly regulates all food-contact containers. All KitchenAid products, regardless of location of manufacture, are tested to ensure that they meet US food safety guidelines. Please stress to the consumer that they can be confident that we are committed to the safety and well-being of our consumers, and that consumer health and safety is our highest priority. KitchenAid products are extensively tested for safety, quality and durability.

All KitchenAid products comply fully comply with the safety standards of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and adhere to the Proposition 65 requirements set forth by the State of California.

Does anyone know about the All Clad slow cooker? That's the one that I have. I have to admit, I haven't used it since this thread started. I checked the list of dishes, and I'm really bummed and disturbed to find out that every brand of Mikasa that they tested was positive for lead. We just bought Mikasa dishes a few months ago. :( I'm glad we found out now though.

Whew, I was glad to see that West Bend *might* be ok? If it does turn out to be lead-free, I can tell you that I like mine a lot. :001_smile: It doesn't run any hotter than my two old Rivals did.

I was also glad to see that Corelle dishes got the green light. Whew again! I bought a set when my kids were just passed the toddler stage; ready for "real" plates, but not for super nice ones. We ended up liking the Corelle so much I bought another set and filled in with matching serving dishes and pasta dishes...lol... inexpensive, pretty pattern, easy to fit in the dishwasher, and now... lead-free!

Whew, I was glad to see that West Bend *might* be ok? If it does turn out to be lead-free, I can tell you that I like mine a lot. :001_smile: It doesn't run any hotter than my two old Rivals did.

I was also glad to see that Corelle dishes got the green light. Whew again! I bought a set when my kids were just passed the toddler stage; ready for "real" plates, but not for super nice ones. We ended up liking the Corelle so much I bought another set and filled in with matching serving dishes and pasta dishes...lol... inexpensive, pretty pattern, easy to fit in the dishwasher, and now... lead-free!

We use Corelle dishes for the very same reason, and my "baby" is 8. I was sorry to see that Noritake didn't do well at all, since we have a setting for 6, and was disappointed that Denby didn't even get on their, since we have 9 place settings for that. However, since the Denby is our company set, and the Noritake for very fancy (and we just don't do very fancy right now), I'm not worried. Tiny lead exposure isn't always harmful, especially if it's not regular and you're eating good anti-oxidants with your meals to help your body eliminate it. There's no way we're ever going to avoid all potential toxins in our lives, and I think it's safe to say that this isn't a new problem, just done differently at different times in history. (roasting on a spit, for eg, loads meat up with carcinogens, just as grilling food does--I rarely eat grilled food for that reason, but need to cook)

I was sorry to see that Noritake didn't do well at all, since we have a setting for 6, and was disappointed that Denby didn't even get on their, since we have 9 place settings for that. However, since the Denby is our company set, and the Noritake for very fancy

Do you mean this list?

http://www.kutv.com/sites/kutv/content/documents/lead-plates-results.pdf

Since Denby isn't on there, I believe that just means it wasn't tested.

FWIW, I used to have a high degree of faith in Denby pottery and their old website used to specifically say their glazes were lead and cadmium free.

Here's a sample of their old website which is currently on a resellers site:

"Denby has been making the highest quality dishes for almost 200 YEARS and they are lead and cadmium free!

High firing vitrifies the stoneware, making it durable and chip resistant. Glazes will not craze or crack and cannot absorb foods or fluids, resulting in a very hygenic product. "

http://www.denby.ws/whydenby.htm

Their new UK site doesn't have any mention of the glazes being lead free though they mention the glassware is lead free & therefore dishwasher safe. :glare:

I have some Denby so I've emailed them to ask what's up.

Do you mean this list?

http://www.kutv.com/sites/kutv/content/documents/lead-plates-results.pdf

Since Denby isn't on there, I believe that just means it wasn't tested.

FWIW, I used to have a high degree of faith in Denby pottery and their old website used to specifically say their glazes were lead and cadmium free.

Here's a sample of their old website which is currently on a resellers site:

"Denby has been making the highest quality dishes for almost 200 YEARS and they are lead and cadmium free!

High firing vitrifies the stoneware, making it durable and chip resistant. Glazes will not craze or crack and cannot absorb foods or fluids, resulting in a very hygenic product. "

http://www.denby.ws/whydenby.htm

Their new UK site doesn't have any mention of the glazes being lead free though they mention the glassware is lead free & therefore dishwasher safe. :glare:

I have some Denby so I've emailed them to ask what's up.

Thanks. I figured that it just wasn't tested, but had wanted to see what it said. Ours are about 15 years old. If Denby answers you, could you share here what they say? Or PM me? I'm going to check this link once I'm done (the page is already open :))

Okay, maybe I'm just dumb, but I'm looking at the link for the dishes that were tested and trying to figure out which to go buy. I have some Martha Stewart brand-white VERY cheap but got a ton of them from Kmart. Martha Stewart was tested, but not white. So are mine okay?

Also, someone else said they went and bought Fiestaware, but it looks like on the list 2 Fiesta's were tested, one was good and one wasn't. Also, I would get Corelle, but all they showed that were tested didn't have any descriptions. Am I safe in assuming ALL Corelle is safe?

Last but not least, is anyone but me really sad because they're afraid to put out their Christmas dishes this year?:(:( Mine are Tracy Porter from Target and are soooo cute. I got a ton on sale and have serving pieces, coffee mugs, everything.:crying: Do I just assume it's not okay?

Okay, maybe I'm just dumb, but I'm looking at the link for the dishes that were tested and trying to figure out which to go buy. I have some Martha Stewart brand-white VERY cheap but got a ton of them from Kmart. Martha Stewart was tested, but not white. So are mine okay?

Also, someone else said they went and bought Fiestaware, but it looks like on the list 2 Fiesta's were tested, one was good and one wasn't. Also, I would get Corelle, but all they showed that were tested didn't have any descriptions. Am I safe in assuming ALL Corelle is safe?

?

I use Corelle. I think it's all safe.

I found reading the chart a little confusing, too. Just a little. :confused: