Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW34: Solar Eclipse

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week 34 in our 2017 adventurous prime reading year. Greetings to all our readers and those following our progress. Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

Years ago when I worked in the teacher education department at CSUS, a solar eclipse occurred midday.  Classes and the daily business of running the campus paused as students, staff and faculty gathered in and around the quad for the event. Solar glasses and viewers passed from hand to hand, strangers became friends and for a couple hours, we all enjoyed nature's show.  This year thousands are traipsing up the highways and byways from Oregon to Georgia to view the eclipse and Bonnie Tyler will be reprising one of my favorite songs from years gone by, Total Eclipse of the Heart, from a stage on the Royal Caribbean's Total Eclipse Cruise to commemorate the event. If you can't get outside or don't have any means to look at the eclipse safely, watch it streamed online through NASA

Since the eclipse is on everyone's minds this week, your book mission is to read a book with eclipse in the title or words associated with the eclipse such as solar, shadow, sun, obscured, total, brilliant, obscure or phenomenon to name a few.  Dip your toes into the celestial darkness or soar with the sun.  

"From out yon nimbus cloud, the mighty sun

Sweeps o'er the raptured woods his golden beams,

And wakens in my soul such dulcet chords

As harp or breathing organ never swelled.

~James Rigg, "The Poet's Ramble in October"

War and Peace:  Read Volume Three  â€“ Part One

Chat about what stood out for you, thoughts on storyline, setting, characters and motives as well as favorite quotes prior to this week’s reading.

What are you reading this week?

Link to Week 33

• Like 16

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be back later with current books but I don't want to lose my quotes from last week. :lol:

Hi everyone! I'm incredibly behind. :( I need to catch up so I started the Louise Penny Inspector Gamache novels. (I'm sure I butchered his name.) I think I can knock like 4 out this week, they are addicting and quick!

I have been listening to this series the past couple of weeks. They are very addictive!

tonight at BBC 1 TV: Far from the madding crowd 20:00 Local time

Thank you! I set it up to record after seeing your post.

• Like 15

This was a vacation with no kids?  I need one of those again.  We had one once.  2 more years and our youngest will be out, so I think that's the next time we'll have a chance....

Greece is great!  We had our honeymoon on the islands.  I would have thought a lot of what we ate was gluten-free - souvlaki and rice with tzatziki sauce, stuffed grape leaves, Greek salads (everywhere we were these had no lettuce at all but were cubed cukes, tomatoes, pepper and red onion with a slab of sliced feta cheese, sprinkled with oregano and a dash of olive oil, not vinaigrette - and a few olives I picked out),  Are you sensitive enough that you have to worry about cross-contamination?

Moussaka would be easy to make gluten free but it's probably impossible to get that way in a restaurant (the only wheat should be the flour in the bechamel sauce).  The big obvious no-nos would be spanakopita and baklava.  The above things are pretty much all we ate in Greece.  With a side of ouzo. ;)

Yes, our first vacation sans kids since we had kids. Also, yes, theoretically it should be easy for someone to eat gf in Greece. However, that is not the case for most celiacs. I've yet to meet a celiac who does not get sick from cross contamination. When the party you are with gets breadcrumbs into all the food for lack of understanding, despite you trying to explain, you quickly let it go and don't eat. When the waiter says, "Yes, yes, I bring you no gluten" and then brings your utensils wrapped up WITH bread in a cloth then you lose your confidence that you can trust the food. When you see the how the watermelon slices were just cut on the counter covered with breadcrumbs and with the bread knife then you don't eat the melon even though everyone around you thinks you're being dramatic. Same goes for the huge slices of feta cheese....cut with the bread knife. Yeah, just better to not eat. I'm not going to risk losing my vacation just to eat at a restaurant. 

Not much reading as happened since I've come home. Trying to get the house back in order, had to take ds to the doctor, and jet lag kicked my butt this trip. Both ways. I was a mess for a week in Greece and now I'm a mess at home. Tis not like it was when I traveled in my 20's and jet lag was an unknown to me. I am trying to read John Bunyan but boy my mind is sluggish. 

I need to check my bingo and see what I need to read to finish by the end of the year. 

Oh Matryoshka, I finally made it through the 2 weeks worth of mail. Thank you for the book. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 20

I finished a book! Finished youngest's summer reading for freshman honors lit, Into the Beautiful North. Both of her books (Spare Parts was the other) look at the human side of illegal immigration, myths and realities of the northern "promised land", etc. This one had a sense of humor and I enjoyed many of the characters. Still haven't finished older dd's Rogue River Journal but I started her other book, Refuge. Both of hers are non-fiction by poets/literary non-fiction authors with alternating chapters on nature and the issues the authors wish to explore.

W&P--oh, Natasha. You fool. And can someone just kill off Dolokhov please? (Sorry, my comments aren't super-literary. Mostly reading for plot here.)

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 21

I read How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big - 5 Stars - This is probably the best book that I’ve read on how to get my life together. It’s encouraging, motivating, and it helps that the author is entertaining, which one would expect, since he’s the creator of Dilbert. I’m not a Dilbert fan, but that didn’t stop me from loving this book. I really enjoyed his direct and simple writing style. I wish that this book had been published earlier in my life. This book was so good that I plan on re-reading it from time to time. 

Some of my favorite quotes:

“The most important form of selfishness involves spending time on your fitness, eating right, pursuing your career, and still spending quality time with your family and friends. If you neglect your health or your career, you slip into the second category—stupid—which is a short slide to becoming a burden on society.â€

“I blame society for the sad state of adult fitness in the Western world. We’re raised to believe that giving of ourselves is noble and good. If you’re religious, you might have twice as much pressure to be unselfish. All our lives we are told it’s better to give than to receive. We’re programmed for unselfish behavior by society, our parents, and even our genes to some extent. The problem is that our obsession with generosity causes people to think in the short term. We skip exercise to spend an extra hour helping at home. We buy fast food to save time to help a coworker with a problem. At every turn, we cheat our own future to appear generous today. So how can you make the right long-term choices for yourself, thus being a benefit to others in the long run, without looking like a selfish turd in your daily choices? There’s no instant cure, but a step in the right direction involves the power of permission. I’m giving you permission to take care of yourself first, so you can do a better job of being generous in the long run.â€

“You’ve seen for yourself that when a sad person enters a room, the mood in the room drops. And when you talk to a cheerful person who is full of energy, you automatically feel a boost. I’m suggesting that by becoming a person with good energy, you lift the people around you. That positive change will improve your social life, your love life, your family life, and your career. When I talk about increasing your personal energy, I don’t mean the frenetic, caffeine-fueled, bounce-off-the-walls type of energy. I’m talking about a calm, focused energy. To others it will simply appear that you are in a good mood. And you will be.â€

9781591847748.jpg

Sharing a picture that we took of of Monet's wife's (Alice) bedroom. I know that a few of us have enjoyed the book on Monet's House.

"In its unadorned simplicity, it is a far cry from the nineteenth century woman's boudoir and seems to have been planned specifically as a place to which Alice could withdraw from the bustle of the household for moments of contemplation on her own. It was here that she wrote her diary and did her correspondence."

935ad612fc518684b5602de0c58e2f42.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 19

Greetings to all my Baw friends! And happy eclipse viewing!

I finished a book! Finished youngest's summer reading for freshman honors lit, Into the Beautiful North. Both of her books (Spare Parts was the other) look at the human side of illegal immigration, myths and realities of the northern "promised land", etc. This one had a sense of humor and I enjoyed many of the characters. Still haven't finished older dd's Rogue River Journal but I started her other book, Refuge. Both of hers are non-fiction by poets/literary non-fiction authors with alternating chapters on nature and the issues the authors wish to explore.

W&P--oh, Natasha. You fool. And can someone just kill off Dolokhov please? (Sorry, my comments aren't super-literary. Mostly reading for plot here.)

Ayup.  This was the incident that kept me turning pages and not going to sleep the other night.

I do prefer the W&P town and country estate scenes to those of the battlegrounds and diplomatic maneuvers.  This reader has a harder time sorting through the military/diplomatic personalities--or caring about their intentions. 

So it occurred to me that I should read something completely different than W&P so why not a Western novel?  I'm reading Shane by Jack Schaeffer with its background of the large rancher vs. the small homesteaders, a theme not far removed from modern America with corporate interests vs. the little guys.  Shane is the classic stoic gunslinger who endears himself to a homesteading family.  The tale is narrated by a boy on the homestead although at a future date so the voice is not childish.  He states his observations of the time and admits that certain things were not understood until years down the road. Beautiful writing.

• Like 20

I am still working on my August birthstones because I picked Peridot but quickly realized my book choices were crossing over so might as well officially do Spinel also using many of the same books. I need an E and a N. Both letters are in the stack so hopefully by next Sunday I will have finished at least one of the letters.

War and Peace is close to done. I am someplace in the Epilogue with 4 hours to go. Hopefully tomorrow.......

My Kindle reader goes off tomorrow because two of the books I am in the middle of will return to Overdrive in the afternoon.

A Climate of Fear seems to be a good police procedural, translated from French, which I think I will finish quickly when I just have that to read.

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. is wonderful so far but huge at 756 pages. The only criticism is too much use of the word f#ck but otherwise a clean read thus far. It reminds me of a combination of Jonathan Strange meets the Time Travellers Wife so I think many here would enjoy it. At this point I am only 36% through so I am hoping to continue to enjoy it. I keep thinking that I hated TTW at the end and really hope this book doesn't disappoint me.

I am still busy quilting for the show. I promised 4 quilts and have 2 totally complete with a couple of crib quilts to finish. I think I might actually manage to do this. Part of my desire to show all of these has to do with the fact my favourite quilt teacher is the judge this year. I don't expect to win but am looking forward to hearing her ideas for improvement. Because her classes are quite a distance from where we live I don't indulge very often. Working with her is a treat and both dd and I are excited that she is coming to our village show. :) I have been reading a stack of quilting books because I am planning what to do next. ;)

• Like 17

I actually read a book this week. :party: 

And it is a delightful book by Jane Gardam, with the odd and off-putting title Old Filth. "Filth" is an acronym the title character gave himself -- "Failed in London, Try Hong Kong". He is an orphan of the British Empire, much as Kipling was, torn from his home to be educated in England and his story is told in bittersweet, non-chronological vignettes. I loved the writing, loved the character and the author's imagining of what it must have been like to be a "Raj Orphan". 

I am somewhere in the midst of Volume IV of War and Peace, still mired in 1812, getting every possible viewpoint of the history and of each character. I have to admit I'm losing a little steam, but am still plugging away in fits and starts. 

I should give Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicles more of my time -- I started it a few months ago but put it aside and only read a few pages now and again. It requires more attention and focus than I can give it this summer. So instead I'll probably read some more genre fiction until things quiet back down around here. 

• Like 18

52 in 2017

1. I'm Judging You: The Do-Better Manual // Luvvie Ajayi

2. No-Drama Discipline // Daniel J. Siegel

3. Song of Solomon // Toni Morrison

4. Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives // Gretchen Rubin

5. Men We Reaped // Jesmyn Ward

6. Not Buying It: Stop Overspending and Start Raising Happier, Healthier, More Successful Kids // Brett Graff

7. Commonwealth // Ann Patchett

8. How Children Learn // John Holt

9. Born A Crime // Trevor Noah

10. The Underground Railroad // Colson Whitehead

11. The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving A F*ck // Sarah Knight

12. Upstream // Mary Oliver

13. The Handmaid's Tale // Margaret Atwood

14. Show Your Work // Austin Kleon

15. How to Raise A Wild Child // Scott D Sampson

16. A Course of Love // Alain de Botton

17. Bird by Bird // Anne Lamott

18. How to Be a Badass At Making Money // Jen Sincero

19. Long Divison // Kiese Laymon

20. Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? And other questions you should have answers to while working in the White House. // Alyssa Mastromonaco

21. The Yamas and Nayamas // Deborah Adele

22. The Dance of the Dissedent Daughter // Sue Monk Kidd

23. Still Life // Louise Penny

Currently reading: Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I'm 10 books behind but plan on reading more of the Louise Penny books to catch up. I WILL do it this year!!!

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 18

A one day only currently free science fiction classic for Kindle readers ~

A Voyage to Arcturus  by David Lindsay

"One of the most original and acclaimed science fiction novels of the twentieth century

This landmark work of speculative fiction follows the adventurer Maskull as he travels to Tormance, the lone planet revolving around the double star system Arcturus. Each new land that Maskull visits is ruled by a different philosophy, and he must navigate each in succession as his body changes in response to the varying environments in which he finds himself. Never sure of his surroundings, Maskull must determine what we will and will not do to survive—a metaphysical inquiry that propels him toward an unforgettable final realization.

A major influence on C. S. Lewis’s Space Trilogy, A Voyage to Arcturus is a surreal and masterful investigation into the meaning of good and evil, the nature of God, and the origins of the universe."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13

I read one non-fiction book, one play, 3 light fiction books, and one read-aloud:

Don't Even Think About It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change: This was a fascinating, important book... but rather discouraging. I am involved in climate activism and am eternally hopeful that the urgency of this issue and the systemic steps needed to address it can be conveyed effectively and catastrophe prevented.... so seeing all the challenges laid out so clearly was intensely painful.  But knowing the challenges is essential to being able to surmount them.

Oslo: a play about the development of the Oslo Accords.  Amusing at times, a little moving at others, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Cousinly Connection: another Flufferton book by Sheila Simonson.  I think this is my favorite of hers - the plot is much less absurd and the characters just as sweet and the romantic pairing as mutually respectful.

Every Last One: This was a more satisfying beach read that the other Quindlen book I read last week.  (The main plot event it incredibly harrowing, so this isn't a happy, warm-fuzzy book.)  I have been dealing with some layers of grief lately and as today is the anniversary of my older brother's death (he died at 8 months old of Hep B, with no known exposure, before I was born), I have been thinking, again, about how one survives the unthinkable, how one keeps going in a world where the unbearable has happened and can't be undone or even really fully healed from. 

Dead Men Don't Ski: I read a different Moyes mystery last week which was delightful.  This one didn't have the same hilarity and feel a little flat for me... but more because my expectations were off than anything intrinsic to the book itself.  I might read more of these at some point, but am sending them back to the library for now.

The Winged Watchman - I have always loved this book.  This is the sweetest, gentlest introduction one could offer to WWII - it has occupied Holland with underdivers, the Resistance, hardship, and a very personal smidgen of the Holocaust.  I sob through most of the last chapter, but it is a hopeful, positive book, for all the hard things touched upon.  (and it spoke deeply to my little guy... our next read-aloud is the The Ark which looks at post-war Germany.. we'd been going to read Seredy's The Open Gate after that, but I think we might read Chestry Oak instead.  (Or, perhaps, The Singing Tree.... we read The Good Master last year, but I hadn't wanted to go into the intensity of Singing Tree then.)

Also currently free for Kindle readers ~

Ridiculous! (Ridiculous Lovers Book 1) by D. L. Carter

The Watchmaker's Daughter  by C.J. Archer

The Disappearing Client  by Kate Baray

Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen by Hans Christian Andersen

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 14

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:   Tress, I am holding you in my heart. 

Kareni,  how is your mother's recovery going?

Stacia, love, how are you holding up?  I know this has been such an intense year + for you... I think of you often.  :grouphug:

----------------------

We're going to be missing the eclipse tomorrow - there's been a call to action to show up at a hearing that will decide whether a mother of 3, who came to country as a child herself, will be deported - but I look forward to hearing about everyone else's experiences and we'll watch a recording when we get home!

“ So how can you make the right long-term choices for yourself, thus being a benefit to others in the long run, without looking like a selfish turd in your daily choices? There’s no instant cure, but a step in the right direction involves the power of permission. I’m giving you permission to take care of yourself first, so you can do a better job of being generous in the long run.â€

I struggle with this every day.

My mechutanester (Yiddish word = child's parents in law, in this case, my second daughter's mother-in-law), shared an image I have found very helpful:

We often think of ourselves as having a cup, so to speak, of self-hood from which we give out into the world.  ...instead we should envision pouring into to that cup until it overflows... and that overflow enriches all around us.

It is hard to overcome the cultural programming that leaves me feeling that self-care is selfish, but I can see that when I care for myself as I would for a dear friend, when I invest in myself, when I fill my 'cup', that so much of the 'giving' comes about so naturally and instinctively... and leaves me feeling enriched rather than drained.

I am not a Dilbert fan either, but I am interested in reading the book now.  Thank you, love!  (And thank you for the beautiful photos you've been sharing!!)

And it is a delightful book by Jane Gardam, with the odd and off-putting title Old Filth. "Filth" is an acronym the title character gave himself -- "Failed in London, Try Hong Kong". He is an orphan of the British Empire, much as Kipling was, torn from his home to be educated in England and his story is told in bittersweet, non-chronological vignettes. I loved the writing, loved the character and the author's imagining of what it must have been like to be a "Raj Orphan". 

I have that sitting on my shelves and have been meaning to read it.  I read her Hollow Land a year or two ago and appreciated her voice and the richness of her characters and writing.  (I was not completely satisfied by the ending of that one, but, overall, it was a wonderful book.)  Thank you for reminding me I want to be reading this!

Yes, our first vacation sans kids since we had kids. Also, yes, theoretically it should be easy for someone to eat gf in Greece. However, that is not the case for most celiacs. I've yet to meet a celiac who does not get sick from cross contamination. When the party you are with gets breadcrumbs into all the food for lack of understanding, despite you trying to explain, you quickly let it go and don't eat. When the waiter says, "Yes, yes, I bring you no gluten" and then brings your utensils wrapped up WITH bread in a cloth then you lose your confidence that you can trust the food. When you see the how the watermelon slices were just cut on the counter covered with breadcrumbs and with the bread knife then you don't eat the melon even though everyone around you thinks you're being dramatic. Same goes for the huge slices of feta cheese....cut with the bread knife. Yeah, just better to not eat. I'm not going to risk losing my vacation just to eat at a restaurant. 

:grouphug:

When we travel we have kashrus issues and have to make all our own food unless we are in, for example, NYC, so I sympathize.

...and as someone with a serious peanut allergy, I have decided that the risk is not worth it for me even when there are kosher restaurants (unless I know the precautions taken, or there is absolutely no peanut or peanut product in the restaurant at all)  because few folks are informed enough to be as cautious as they need to be to prevent contamination. 

I actually read a book this week. :party: 

I am somewhere in the midst of Volume IV of War and Peace, still mired in 1812, getting every possible viewpoint of the history and of each character. I have to admit I'm losing a little steam, but am still plugging away in fits and starts. 

I should give Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicles more of my time -- I started it a few months ago but put it aside and only read a few pages now and again. It requires more attention and focus than I can give it this summer. So instead I'll probably read some more genre fiction until things quiet back down around here.

I adored Old Filth! The next two volumes in the trilogy are equally satisfying.
  • Like 12

Kareni,  how is your mother's recovery going?

She is supposed to be transferred back to her (pre-fall) assisted living facility tomorrow.  My niece is going to oversee the process as my sister, her husband, and her grandchild are off viewing the eclipse.  Thanks for asking!

And I'll say, once again, that it's nice to have you back, Eliana.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13

I have not participated here for months!  Trying to get back in the groove!

I read a really wonderful book last week that I blogged about:  What Falls from the Sky by Esther Emery.  And then I decided to really some comforting fluff so I am now more than half-way through The Toll-Gate by Georgette Heyer.  It's a good one!   I started An Infamous Army (set before and during the battle of Waterloo) but I just couldn't get through it.  It was very slow and I didn't like the way Heyer took characters from other books and watered them down.  And I just didn't care about the new characters she introduced.  But The Toll-gate is wonderful fun!

• Like 19

Books I've read in the past few weeks ~

Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too: A Book by Jomny Sun

Does the author's last name make this count for this week's challenge, Robin?! 

This is a graphic novel and a quick read that I read on a half hour bus ride today.  I was amused by the nod to The Giving Tree (a book I detest), but overall I think the book fell flat for me.

In the Company of the Courtesan: A Novel by Sarah Dunant.  I read this for my sister's book group which I attended while visiting.  It was an intriguing read, and the conversation was lively.  I think some here might enjoy it.

The book I DID NOT read for my own book group was The Round House: A Novel by Louise Erdrich.  I'm somewhat regretful that I didn't read it as everyone at the meeting loved it.

Be aware that the books below may range from zero to significant adult content.

Beauty Like the Night (The Spymaster Series) by Joanna Bourne.  This is a historical romance by a favorite author which I was eagerly anticipating; it did not disappoint.  I recommend this series.

He Speaks Dead  by Adrienne Wilder.  I enjoyed this male/male romance which featured a non-scary ghost.  The ending went in a direction I wasn't anticipating.

Sarina Bowen's Pipe Dreams (A Brooklyn Bruisers Novel) and Stay (co-author Elle Kennedy).  These were new reads both of which I enjoyed but not as much as Bowen's The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years Book 1) and Blonde Date: An Ivy Years Novella which I reread.

Reread Anne Bishop's Murder of Crows (A Novel of the Others Book 2), Vision In Silver (A Novel of the Others Book 3), and Marked In Flesh (A Novel of the Others Book 4).  Somehow these have become comfort reads.

Amy Crook's Untrue Love (Consulting Magic prequel)  and The Courtship of Julian St. Albans (Consulting Magic Book 1).  These are male/male paranormal romances.  I enjoyed them both, but be aware that food and drink feature prominently in the text.  These would likely be half as long if all the eating and drinking (primarily of tea) were off stage!

Remember When (The Remember Trilogy Book 1) by T. Torrest.  This romance was set in the eighties and featured highschoolers.  It was an enjoyable read, and I may yet read on as the next two books take place when the characters are ten or more years older.

A reread of Aftershock (The Aftershock Book 1) by Jill Sorenson which is a contemporary romance that takes place in the aftermath of an earthquake.

Feel Me: An O'Brien Family Novel (The O'Brien Family)  by Cecy Robson.  An okay read, but I found myself skimming this contemporary romance.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 15

She is supposed to be transferred back to her (pre-fall) assisted living facility tomorrow.  My niece is going to oversee the process as my sister, her husband, and her grandchild are off viewing the eclipse.  Thanks for asking!

And I'll say, once again, that it's nice to have you back, Eliana.

Regards,

Kareni

I am relieved she is able to go back to her previous 'home'... and that she has so much loving support! 

Thank you, love.  I had missed you all dreadfully, so it is wonderful to be back.

Eliana, Old Filth is a lot of fun. I love rich characters in my books, and this is filled with them.

Jane, I will seek out the others after my TBR stack recedes a bit. I just started a book in a series you recommended way back when, an Aurelio Zen mystery. Those books are not in my regular libraries but I happened upon one at a used book store the other week. I'm already drawn in.

No eclipse for me, between the coastal clouds and a doctor's appointment. It will be my first day off in over a week and I'm making good on my commitment to take care of myself this year so am off for a physical. (Eliana, I'm going to keep that image of filling the cup so it overflows!) I would have loved to travel to experience the full eclipse, but am in the middle of a long run of a show. In fact, I should be pulling on my black and heading to the theater...

• Like 13

Finished Area X  and my brain is full and it will take a while to absorb and figure out how I feel about it.  I don't want to instantly say I hated it like I did with the star wars movie - Rogue one - because spoiler alert -   everybody dies and it just seemed senseless and futile. Not to say that's what happens to everyone in this book. I just had the same sense and don't always like when there are ends left up to the imagination.  Need something light and fluffy to read now.    

With this book I have finished spelling out Sardonyx - Yeah! 

S:  Summer Knight - Jim Butcher (#4 Dresden files, paranormal, 371)

A:  Ashes of Honor - Seanan McGuire (#6 October Day, 363, e)

R:  Niccolo Rising - Dorothy Dunnett (#1 House of Niccolo, historical fiction, 496)

D:  The Path of Daggers - Robert Jordan (#8 Wheel of time, fantasy, 669, e)

O:  Where One Goes - B N Toler (paranormal, 265 e)

N:  The Nature of the Beast - Louise Penny (#11 Armand Gamache, 385, e)

Y:  Do You Take This Daddy - Katie Meyer (#3 Paradise Animal Clinic, Romance, 216, e)

X: Area X: Southern Reach Trilogy - Jeff VanderMeer (dystopian, 593) 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 14

Waving hello to Faith, nice to see you again!

Tress, I'm so sorry sweetie.  Hugs!

Jane, Yes, please. That would be so very cool!

Eliana - Love the thought of filling our cups to overflowing in a good way.  

• Like 12

I've been in a dark place today, lots of stress with trying to figure out next steps for Shannon and also a big work stress hit. Actually, I don't know that it's any bigger than usual, but I only have a tiny slice of my usual energy to spend on work right now, so it was enough to feel overwhelming. Plus, we're starting school tomorrow. I don't even know what that means for Shannon, exactly, or what she'll feel capable of accomplishing, but Morgan needs some structure and something to keep her busy so we need to start, ready or not. So, I spent much of the weekend researching Lyme diagnosis and making first week plans.

I did finish a few things this week:

Anne Boleyn:  A New Life of England's Tragic Queen - Joanna Denny. Unlike the Katherine Parr book I read a couple of weeks ago, this one had no pretensions at objectivity. Denny (related to Elizabeth I's minister Sir Anthony Denny) is a strong Anne partisan an has a very clear religious bias that colored the whole book. I appreciated her efforts to debunk the Anne-was-a-witch-and-a-whore mythology, and I didn't mind her vilifying Henry, I tend to agree with that reading. But I thought she was unnecessarily harsh toward Catherine, Mary, and Jane Seymour, in a way that didn't seem supported by the evidence she cited - meaning she put a lot of intention behind words and actions that may or may not have actually been there. In that sense, it was really bad history, but like I said, I did appreciate the picture of Anne that was painted and how it contrasts with most others (and how it was supported by documentary evidence).

The HIdden Life of Trees - Peter Wohlleben. This was a wonderful book. If I had no one depending on me right now, I think I'd go back to school and study holistic forestry. That will never happen, but a girl can dream.

The Glass Castle - Jeanette Walls. I see a lot of you read this book, probably when it came out and was a best-seller, but I had never heard of it till I saw a movie preview. Wow, what a story! I found much of it tremendously entertaining, but felt slightly guilty at being so entertained, because parts were truly horrifying as well. I read in the Book Review that Rose Mary, the mother, now lives in a cottage on Jeanette's farm. I don't know that I'd have been as forgiving as she is. Then I had to wonder: why do I blame the mother more than the father? Is that just internalized sexism? My own family situation's influence? Hard to say. I do think we often hold mothers more responsible than fathers for children's wellbeing. 

Currently I'm listening to a book about autoimmunity, and reading a book about Lyme Disease and another about Craniosacral therapy. Heather, I'm glad to hear Ani has gotten benefit from it, I think we'll definitely try a few more sessions. Also reading State of Wonder by Anne Patchett, Bloodchild and other stories by Octavia Butler, and reading The Elephant's Journey by Saramago.

I love how Saramago writes. Not what he writes about, necessarily: the subject matter doesn't always hold my interest. But how he writes: the specific style. Sort of stream-of-consciousness, sort of self-referentially postmodern, but something I can really sink into and flow with. I can't read it when there are many distractions around, I need to really be able to sink right into it and go with the flow. But when I can hit that groove, I really love it.

• Like 16

I've been in a dark place today, lots of stress with trying to figure out next steps for Shannon and also a big work stress hit. Actually, I don't know that it's any bigger than usual, but I only have a tiny slice of my usual energy to spend on work right now, so it was enough to feel overwhelming. Plus, we're starting school tomorrow. I don't even know what that means for Shannon, exactly, or what she'll feel capable of accomplishing, but Morgan needs some structure and something to keep her busy so we need to start, ready or not. So, I spent much of the weekend researching Lyme diagnosis and making first week plans.

<snip>

another about Craniosacral therapy. Heather, I'm glad to hear Ani has gotten benefit from it, I think we'll definitely try a few more sessions. Also reading State of Wonder by Anne Patchett, Bloodchild and other stories by Octavia Butler, and reading The Elephant's Journey by Saramago.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I hope there are soon rays of light to help you through this rough time, love. 

I've done cranio-sacral therapy and benefited enormously.  I struggle with the cognitive dissonance of being a scientifically minded, evidence based person using a therapy that has elements which don't mesh with that at all.

...but the pain-relief and increased functioning a very real and make coping with fibro so much more do-able that I continue to turn to it.

I hope it offers some relief to Ani... but I know it isn't a panacea!

I really appreciated Bloodchild.  I haven't gotten into other Butler stories - I keep trying and bouncing off, but I found Bloodchild engaging and moving.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I hope there are soon rays of light to help you through this rough time, love. 

I've done cranio-sacral therapy and benefited enormously.  I struggle with the cognitive dissonance of being a scientifically minded, evidence based person using a therapy that has elements which don't mesh with that at all.

...but the pain-relief and increased functioning a very real and make coping with fibro so much more do-able that I continue to turn to it.

Yes, this! When I read the book, it makes a lot of sense to me and I can see the mechanism, and how it could be really helpful to relieve intracranial pressure and help restore CSF flow and vagus nerve function. That all sounds great. But when the practitioner said that Shannon's elbow joints were telling her to spend more time with them, I had a hard time restraining the eye-roll. Not out of disrespect, but I have a hard time imagining a mechanism for this. I always tell my kids that it's important to look for evidence and for a plausible mechanism, so we've definitely had some interesting conversations about the talking elbows already . . . . 

• Like 12

Finished two books this week if  you don't count the one I finished last Sunday, since I included it in last week's tally. :)

90. The Ocean at the End of the Lane (audiobook) - Thanks everyone for encouraging me not to give up on Neil Gaiman entirely after the disappointing American Gods, and also for the recommendation to listen to him narrating it.  Quite liked this one, and he has a lovely reading voice which definitely added to the story.  I think I might also read (listen to) Stardust later this year for the Unicorns! square.  This was for the Neil Gaiman square.  4 stars.

91. Endurance: Shakleton's Incredible Voyage (ebook) - Really liked this one as well.  I've been fascinated by Shakleton's voyage since we learned about it in some history cycle we were doing.  I very much enjoyed reading an even more detailed account of the voyage (or the prolonged sitting-around-waiting-for-the-ice-to-melt-but-not-too-much).   I still can't believe he managed to climb over that mountain with the glacier at the end.  If it weren't true, it would be completely unbelievable as a story. For the Antarctica square. 4 stars.

Currently reading:

- El murmullo de las abejas / The Murmur of the Bees by Sofía Segovia - I don't think this has been translated to English yet, so I'm just literally translating the title.  If it does get translated I'd recommend it.  I'm quite enjoying it.  About a family in northern Mexico during the revolution.  Has some magic realism.  I have to admit I picked it up at B&N because I love the cover.  I totally missed that challenge a few months back, but this is a book I would've chosen for that challenge.  

25213356.jpg

- Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (ebook) - I'd never read anything by this author, but I find I'm quite enjoying his writing style.  I think I may have to read other books by him.  Any suggestions? He seems to have written many.

- My Man Jeeves (audiobook) - I've only seen a couple of the TV shows with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie; this is my first Wodehouse book.  It's fun and silly.  Pip pip and cheerio!  I'm uncertain why this Reggie dude has replaced Bertie in the past couple of stories?

- W&P - continuing to keep up.  I'll agree with everyone who's said Nooooo Natasha!!  

Coming up:

Starship Grifters is in from the library (for my next SciFi bookclub), as is Wee Free Men - not sure which will come next. Erlendur #2 (Todesrosen) - the book before Jar City - is also on the short list.  I have Half a Yellow Sun on hold on Overdrive, which would be perfect for this week's challenge, but I don't think it's going to come through this week. :(  Most likely next ebook is Golem and the Jinni or maybe a book for the Mountain Climbing square - both Into Thin Air and A Woman's Place is at the Top (about an early female mountaineer) are on Overdrive - any opinions either way?  Next audio is most likely You're Never Weird on the Internet which I abandoned earlier this year but checks a bingo box, or Girl in Hyacinth Blue.  

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 17

Yeah, it's a lot harder when you have to worry about cross-contamination.  Most (well, all, I think...) of the gluten-avoiding people I've met IRL are just sensitive and don't have actual celiac.  That's got to be so tough!

It might be actually because so many people are just 'avoiding' or 'cutting back' on gluten these days and that's what most people have experienced that they don't realize how serious it can be for some people.

Oh Matryoshka, I finally made it through the 2 weeks worth of mail. Thank you for the book. 

Glad it got there safe. Hope you enjoy it! :)

• Like 12

I read Outlander #4 this week. I am not sure I will have time during homeschooling to continue the serie, so maybe I should finish it next summervacation.

I continued W&P (Tress too, she is almost done with the book)

And I read: ' met 70 de snelweg op' a book about taking care for your elder becoming parents.

Sometimes too obvious sometimes confronting.

Dd is on french immersion camp and had a bad goodbye, so I'm waiting for the first news

• Like 16

I struggle with this every day.

My mechutanester (Yiddish word = child's parents in law, in this case, my second daughter's mother-in-law), shared an image I have found very helpful:

We often think of ourselves as having a cup, so to speak, of self-hood from which we give out into the world.  ...instead we should envision pouring into to that cup until it overflows... and that overflow enriches all around us.

It is hard to overcome the cultural programming that leaves me feeling that self-care is selfish, but I can see that when I care for myself as I would for a dear friend, when I invest in myself, when I fill my 'cup', that so much of the 'giving' comes about so naturally and instinctively... and leaves me feeling enriched rather than drained.

I am not a Dilbert fan either, but I am interested in reading the book now.  Thank you, love!  (And thank you for the beautiful photos you've been sharing!!)

Eliana, I love your profile picture! You are beautiful. 

Yes, I struggle with that also. I'm getting better with taking care of my self, however. There's nothing like a health scare as a wake up call to put one's health first. I really did enjoy the book and would recommend it highly to homeschooling moms especially. There is a bit of language, but not the worst kind if you know what I mean. 

• Like 12

I haven't been around for a while between trips away and crazy homeschool stuff. Currently reading Dampiers Monkey though I don't think I'll finish it for now. I had an Agatha Christe binge because I picked them up on the library discard pile, finished off some stuff I got free on iBooks (Ross Poldark) and also read Morgan's Run as I had it from the op shop. I've already done some slightly sort of eclipse themed reading earlier this year with Chasing Venus - about the history of the missions to measure the transit of Venus and so calculate the distance from earth to sun.

My library hold list is empty so I'll be looking for suggestions.

• Like 14

The HIdden Life of Trees - Peter Wohlleben. This was a wonderful book. If I had no one depending on me right now, I think I'd go back to school and study holistic forestry. That will never happen, but a girl can dream.

I have been on a permaculture/holistic gardening kick.  And I don't even garden!  This book sounds fascinating to me!  I must put it on my to read list!

• Like 14

Loesje, I hope your dd has a great time! A family friend has been working at summer camps in Belgium this year and commented last week end that he has gotten to know several home school students. He is not there this week so I know he isn't at your dd's French camp.

Stacia, grrr You know how I feel about the closing of libraries. :grouphug: I hope your community protests if needed.

On a side note, Dh was at a community meeting the other day where he learned that the equivalent budget to our professional librarians district wide is now being spent on dog wardens with amazingly little authority. Dogs really honestly are not a big problem and these people have little authority to do anything concerning the few real problems. Essentially pointless but politically looks good apparently. Dh asked a huge number of questions to clarify the real situation. I do not get the logic at all. Access to books can change lives..... and yes I know volunteers are seemingly filling the library gap. But some of the volunteer libraries are starting to discuss closing the doors because the burden has fallen upon too few hands in some villages and the volunteers are understandably tired. I am very concerned about where this will lead to in the future.

Eliana, I hope your court case goes well but feel bad you won't be able to see the eclipse. I am so proud of your dedication!

Kareni, Thank you for today's links, it's wonderful to have you back. Several have been downloaded! :) I'm am so glad your mother is able to return to her original assisted living location.

• Like 14

Loesje, I hope your dd has a great time! A family friend has been working at summer camps in Belgium this year and commented last week end that he has gotten to know several home school students. He is not there this week so I know he isn't at your dd's French camp.

Stacia, grrr You know how I feel about the closing of libraries. :grouphug: I hope your community protests if needed.

On a side note, Dh was at a community meeting the other day where he learned that the equivalent budget to our professional librarians district wide is now being spent on dog wardens with amazingly little authority. Dogs really honestly are not a big problem and these people have little authority to do anything concerning the few real problems. Essentially pointless but politically looks good apparently. Dh asked a huge number of questions to clarify the real situation. I do not get the logic at all. Access to books can change lives..... and yes I know volunteers are seemingly filling the library gap. But some of the volunteer libraries are starting to discuss closing the doors because the burden has fallen upon too few hands in some villages and the volunteers are understandably tired. I am very concerned about where this will lead to in the future.

Eliana, I hope your court case goes well but feel bad you won't be able to see the eclipse. I am so proud of your dedication!

Kareni, Thank you for today's links, it's wonderful to have you back. Several have been downloaded! :) I'm am so glad your mother is able to return to her original assisted living location.

Oh how a frustrating librarian situation!

For both of you!

Are you able to share what organization (s)he worked for? Then I can check if I find another camp for German next year.

So far no news yet.

DD is with a Flemish organization on camp now.

And she is normally the only homeschooled teenager at camps.

• Like 11

I finished a book! Finished youngest's summer reading for freshman honors lit, Into the Beautiful North. Both of her books (Spare Parts was the other) look at the human side of illegal immigration, myths and realities of the northern "promised land", etc. 

I put both of those on my to-read list. Thank you.

Tress,  :grouphug: .

To continue my post from last week, I finished the Goodreads Into the Forest challenge by reading The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera. The cultural and folklore parts of this story were interesting, but the characters were not fleshed out enough and there were too many long names of people and places that I couldn't pronounce so that too often my eyes looked at the page and my brain said, Skip that.

I listened to The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout - nonfiction. This turned out to be a good companion to War and Peace since Dolokhov matches the description of a sociopath and the author, after examining the lives of sociopaths and their effects on others, how successful they are, and how their emotional capacity differs from most people's, seems to come to the same conclusion that Tolstoy does in a couple of chapters about Prince Andrei, Dolokhov and Napoleon--that people who are capable of love and compassion live fuller, more meaningful lives. Also, just an interesting book.

I read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, which made me think, Neil Gaiman light. That seems unfair. Just because his writing makes me think of Gaiman's (but simpler and not as full), doesn't mean he was trying to emulate Gaiman and falling a little short, though it feels like that's what my assessment sort of implies, and can't Ness just be Ness? No comparisons? But anyway, that's what I thought. It was a very sad book. Some characters (the bullies) were not really believable to me. I was ambivalent about some of the stories the monster tells, but the book as a whole still got to me emotionally. Two of my sons are reading it now.

I also read On Writing Horror--a collection of essays (mostly) by various authors. A few of the essays were good. Some of them were just basic info about specific media, like writing horror for old-time radio, video games, RPGs, comic books. Some of them were outdated or just unhelpful, like the list of publishers of horror books...that don't take unsolicited submissions, and the praise for Chizine, a defunct magazine. In the sense that only bits of the book were good/helpful, I'd say it's pretty similar to many (most?) writing books, so one gets used to it.

I got past 52. I counted some writing books in groups of three because they were so short. 

*dusty

55. On Writing Horror various authors (nonfiction)

54. A Monster Calls Patrick Ness (novel, YA)

53. The Sociopath Next Door Martha Stout (nonfiction, audiobook)

52. The Whale Rider Witi Ihimaera (novel, YA)

51. Drawing on the Power of Resonance in Writing David Farland (nonfiction)*

Million Dollar Productivity Kevin J. Anderson (nonfiction)*

Million Dollar Professionalism for Writers Kevin J. Anderson (nonfiction)*

50. A Pocket Guide to Flash Fiction Randall Brown (nonfiction)

49. A Midsummer Night's Dream William Shakespeare (play, re-read)

48. Thomas the Rhymer Ellen Kushner (novel)

47. Don’t Pay Bad for Bad Amos Tutuola (short stories)*

46. The Book of Phoenix Nnedi Okorafor (novel)

45. Killing the Top Ten Sacred Cows of Publishing  Dean Wesley Smith (nonfiction)*

The Myth of Perfection Kristine Kathryn Rusch (nonfiction)*

Creating Imaginary Worlds Charles Christian (nonfiction)*

44. Tree and Leaf J.R.R. Tolkien (nonfiction, short story)

43. Eyes Like Stars Lisa Mantchev (novel, YA)

42. Girl, Interrupted Susana Kaysen (nonfiction)*

41. Freud: The Key Ideas Ruth Snowden (nonfiction)

40. Islam and the Future of Tolerance Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz (nonfiction)*

39. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain (novel)

38. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory Caitlin Doughty (nonfiction, audiobook)

37. Great Expectations Charles Dickens (novel)

36. From the Beast to the Blonde Marina Warner (nonfiction)*

35. Shakespeare: The World as Stage Bill Bryson (nonfiction, audiobook)

34. The Great God Pan Arthur Machen (novella)*

33. Transformations Anne Sexton (poetry)

32. The Pigman Paul Zindel (novel, YA)*

31. The Crucible Arthur Miller (play)

30. Norse Mythology Neil Gaiman (audiobook)

29. Witches, Midwives & Nurses Barbara Ehrenreich and Deirdre English (nonfiction)*

28. Midnight Robber Nalo Hopkinson (novel)

27. Wylding Hall Elizabeth Hand (novella, audiobook)

26. The Wide Window Lemony Snicket (novel)

25. On Becoming a Novelist John Gardner (nonfiction, audiobook)

24. Truck Dance Jeff Landon (flash)*

23. An Experiment in Criticism C.S. Lewis (nonfiction)

22. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Maya Angelou (nonfiction, audiobook)

21. Wild Life Kathy Fish (flash)*

20. A List of Cages Robin Roe (novel, YA)

19. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Hunter S. Thompson (novel)*

18. The Reptile Room Lemony Snicket (novel, re-read)

17. Good Prose Tracy Kidder and Richard Todd (nonfiction)*

16. Breakfast at Tiffany’s Truman Capote (novella, short stories)

15. The Bad Beginning Lemony Snicket (novel, re-read)

14. A Night to Remember Walter Lord (nonfiction, audiobook)

13. The Perks of Being a Wallflower Stephen Chbosky (novel, YA)

12. The Bear and the Nightingale Katherine Arden (novel)

11. The Obesity Code Jason Fung (nonfiction, audiobook)

10. The Frozen Thames Helen Humphreys (short stories)*

9. Believing Is Seeing: Creating the Culture of Art Mary Anny Staniszewski (nonfiction)*

8. One Thousand and One Nights Hanan Al-Shaykh (short stories)

7. Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In Bernie Sanders (nonfiction, audiobook)

6. Saint George and the Dragon Edmund Spenser (poetry)*

5. Norwegian Wood Haruki Murakami (novel)

4. Into the Blue Reach Rainer Maria Rilke (poetry)*

3. The Inquisitive Cook Anne Gardiner and Sue Wilson (nonfiction)

2. Turn Left Before Morning April Salzano (poetry, chapbook)*

1. Kill the Dogs Heather Bell (poetry, chapbook)*

• Like 12

Tress, I am so sorry to hear about your mother.  Kareni, gratified to hear about yours.  Today's my own mom's birthday; we are in the process of finding her a care home...kicking and screaming because she doesn't think anything is wrong, cannot possibly have dementia, etc.  It is so difficult, even when they are not difficult.

Negin, I do adore the photos you share.  Mentally, I am there!  And Eliana, your vacation from BaW coincided with my entry, and I can see why you were missed so dearly!  Rose, Stacia, and Matryoshka, hugs and perseverance.  And OUaT, did you get the job, girl??

I finished two books that were polar opposites in my affections.  The Circle, by Dave Eggers, was a book club book and I...well.  Hate is too strong a word.  I could see every little thing coming and I really do not believe I am clairvoyant as a general rule.  It imagines a world when a successor to one of the big three (Amazon?  Facebook?  Google?) takes over the world and thus us, we are all just data bits, must share all.  The other was War and Turpentine, which I absolutely adored.  This was history, biography, war memoir, all wrapped up in fiction...the writer cites W.G. Sebald as an influence and I can see why.  As fiction, it was very layered, much more so than most straight fictional stories.  I have a BFA in painting so I appreciated all the turpentine references.  It is a loose biography of the author's grandfather, a stalwart WW1 soldier in the Belgian trenches because he had to be...and a painter because he wanted to be (and idolized his father, a fresco painter).  The author is the grandson (in most parts of the book) and he tries to flesh out his grandfather's life.  When re-visiting the Yser front (site of trenches held thru the war) in 2012, he is astonished at the calm, at the lack of obvious "history," as nature has done her work and erased war's bloody show:

To think that this remote, eerily silent place could become the setting for such horrors--it shows once again how any logic of war is utterly opposed to every natural fact, to ordinary time, to the usual course of things, which has no ultimate aim and retains very little of what human beings do.

Someone on here, forgive me for forgetting who, posted an article listing "the" book, or books, that US ambassadors to certain countries pegged as those to read to completely understand their postings.  Of the books I had previously read, many certainly rang true with me (Independent People for Iceland, Atonement for GB, etc.) so I added a few to my TR list and War and Turpentine was the first I was able to snag from the library.  If anyone can re-link the article I would be grateful, as I only tagged two of the books for future reads :)

• Like 13

...Someone on here, forgive me for forgetting who, posted an article listing "the" book, or books, that US ambassadors to certain countries pegged as those to read to completely understand their postings.  Of the books I had previously read, many certainly rang true with me (Independent People for Iceland, Atonement for GB, etc.) so I added a few to my TR list and War and Turpentine was the first I was able to snag from the library.  If anyone can re-link the article I would be grateful, as I only tagged two of the books for future reads :)

Here it is:

22 Ambassadors Recommend the One Book to Read Before Visiting Their Country

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers; I've posted this one before ~

Manalive by G. K. Chesterton

"This audacious allegory transforms the old rule about judging a book by its cover into entertainment of the highest order

A wind sprang high in the west, like a wave of unreasonable happiness, and tore eastward across England, trailing with it the frosty scent of forests and the cold intoxication of the sea.

Seeking shelter from a storm of biblical proportions, a mysterious new tenant by the name of Innocent Smith arrives on the doorsteps of Beacon House. Eccentric, spry, and eager to make new friends, Innocent turns the culture of this ho-hum London boarding establishment upside down. But the fun and games come to an abrupt end when word arrives that the new lodger is wanted on charges of burglary, polygamy, desertion of a spouse, and murder. Only a jury of his peers can determine if Innocent is as guilty as he appears.

Written in upbeat and lighthearted prose, this charming novel of life, salvation, and the human predicament captures G. K. Chesterton at his finest."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I've read The Hummingbird's Daughter by Urrea.  I keep thinking he should be writing in Spanish considering his background and subject matter, but he writes in English.  I looked up this book, though, and it seems he translated it himself into Spanish.  Sounds like it might be worth a read?

Just had to agree with this again. ;)

• Like 13

Finished Area X  and my brain is full and it will take a while to absorb and figure out how I feel about it.  I don't want to instantly say I hated it like I did with the star wars movie - Rogue one - because spoiler alert -   everybody dies and it just seemed senseless and futile. Not to say that's what happens to everyone in this book. I just had the same sense and don't always like when there are ends left up to the imagination.  Need something light and fluffy to read now.    

I read Annihilation earlier this year, felt decidedly 'meh' about it, and decided not to bother continuing even though the book ended in the middle of things, which was also annoying.  I felt like it was 1/3 of a story and the publisher decided to publish the whole thing as three books cut up in random parts for more $.  I'll be curious to know what you think of the whole work once you've had time to process...  I have to say if I'd read 2x more and still not gotten a satisfying ending/explanation for all the random oddness, I'd be even more annoyed...

• Like 12