Menu

s/o Sewing Machines for Kids

What kind of sewing machine would you buy for a child? Singer has one for kids that comes with a kit and everything http://www.youngexplorers.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=Y730151&srccode=NXBYGO&kwsrch=nonbrand

But so many people I know say that's a waste of money. I've been told to buy my 9 year old a "grown up" machine. The only problem is, I don't sew:laugh:

Are the books about sewing for kids enough to teach both of us? Or should I get her the "kid" one and see how she does?

Let me just close by saying she is ALWAYS cutting things up and making clothes for her dolls with needle, thread, glue, staples etc. I just don't want to buy a $100 machine and have her break it (does not follow directions very well).

Thanks!

I bought my DD a machine last year at Tuesday Morning on the clearance rack for $35. The box was opened but it was in perfect condition - 30 stitches, real machine. I would not waste the money on a cheap machine. Janome is supposed to have a cute green machine for kids that's really nice.

That machine looked fine to me. I looked closely at the presser foot. Usually, on children's models they put a plastic guard on the needle so the child can't poke a finger with the needle if she gets her hands to close. The problem with that is the plastic guard keeps the needle from penetrating the fabric well and you get poor stitiches. That's just my (long) experience with them.

I didn't see that on this model, but then since it doesn't have a guard, what would be the difference in buying an expensive adult machine? (Unless there is another kind of security feature on it I didn't see.) That way she could grow with it because it would have much more features. Of course, that's assuming she takes to sewing. If she takes to sewing, she may outgrow this quickly.

Thanks guys! The only problem with an "adult" machine at this point is price. I think Walmart has two that are under $80 so I'll probably look there. However, I never thought of Tuesday Morning! Thanks SWM!

Blessedfamily - Thanks! I had no idea that was one of the differences. I knew the pedal is sometimes an issue, as is size. Do you think it should be "full sized?"

Starr - That's a good idea! I'll have to look into that. She's so creative, I know she'll love it, the problem is, she'll also want to take it apart to figure out how it works. It's moments like that that I look at her and think, "I love it that you're inquisitive. You may be driving me crazy, but I know this will pay off some day:lol:"

Thanks again. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free! I'm kind of excited to learn myself. Quilting, here I come!

We recently bought a Janome Jem Gold for our daughter, who is 8. It's a sturdy mechanical machine--no computerized bits. I think it would be hard to break. It's nice and portable, so I'll probably use it for classes (since my machine weighs about 40 lbs.). It cost $250, which is more than I was originally planning, but I became convinced that it would be better to buy something sturdy straight off. This machine should last both kids through high school and maybe college for one of them. I'd rather have something of reasonable quality than a piece of junk, and the fact is that most cheap machines are junk.

She loves the machine and can use it herself for a lot of things. Really, the problem lies with me--I have an awful time being patient and letting her do things! I sent her to quilt camp over the summer so I wouldn't have to teach her the basics. She's very excited about sewing doll clothes on it now.

I should also say that this particular machine would be great for an adult to learn on. Go get a book from the library, or if you want to try quilting, I highly recommend Quilt in a Day's Log Cabin to start with. You can get it at JoAnn's or wherever. Quilt in a Day has excellent detailed instructions with illustrations for every step.

Edited by dangermom

We have a great adult machine, and a hello kitty Janome machine. Both are used and loved. We did a few private sewing classes, then a group class. Now we are learning about quilting, and are looking for a class that would let the kids in. Maybe there are good prices on craigslist? Then you could see if it gets used, and eventually invest in a better model.

my children all use ordinary machines. my 5 year old sews with the old treadle. he made some shorts ( with a little assistance) all the rest use my bernina sewing machines( I have 2)

my boys ( not the 5 year old) do their own mending, and dd 8 ans ds 10 are in the process of making a full size bed quilt on the machine.

I re-read my post and I meant to say buy an inexpenve adult machine, not an expenseive one. I also recommend Janome. I also second the Tuesday Morning recommendation, though that is hit or miss. Sears Kenmore sewing machines used to be made by Janome(and cheaper priced for the same features), but I don't know if they still are or if Sears is still selling sewing machines at all.

I got dd a Janome Hello Kitty machine last year. http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Janome-Hello-Kitty-11706 It runs at half speed and she seems to be doing fine learning on it.

Here is a link to my blog which has a photo of the nightgown she made on her machine: http://ouravalonacademy.blogspot.com/2008_09_01_archive.html

If the link doesn't work it is in the September archives under First Home Ec Project of the Year.

We recently bought a Janome Jem Gold for our daughter, who is 8. It's a sturdy mechanical machine--no computerized bits. I think it would be hard to break. It's nice and portable, so I'll probably use it for classes (since my machine weighs about 40 lbs.). It cost $250, which is more than I was originally planning, but I became convinced that it would be better to buy something sturdy straight off. This machine should last both kids through high school and maybe college for one of them. I'd rather have something of reasonable quality than a piece of junk, and the fact is that most cheap machines are junk.

I wanted to give testimony to Dangermom's argument. When I was ten (decades ago), my parent's bought me a basic, sturdy machine which was not replaced until last month. Granted, it saw years of regular use, followed by years of just sewing a Halloween costume and performing some mending. The machine was there, though, if I wanted to stitch up a gift bag or some cute pajamas for a gift.

My vote is for a reliable machine that will last. Even people who don't sew need to mend things.

Jane

Another vote for an adult machince. My 10 yod loves to sew. She uses my Kenmore. I would recommend getting a machine with a speed control. Being able to move it to turtle speed has made the difference between frustration and success on curves, joints, etc. Definitely worth the $$.

This is the machine I have and I love it. I bought it on sale for almost a $100 less a yr or 2 ago.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02016231000P?mv=cf&vName=For+the+Home&cName=Sewing+Machines+%26+Accessories&sbf=Brand&sbv=Kenmore

Another vote for an adult machince. My 10 yod loves to sew. She uses my Kenmore. I would recommend getting a machine with a speed control. Being able to move it to turtle speed has made the difference between frustration and success on curves, joints, etc. Definitely worth the $$.

This is the machine I have and I love it. I bought it on sale for almost a $100 less a yr or 2 ago.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02016231000P?mv=cf&vName=For+the+Home&cName=Sewing+Machines+%26+Accessories&sbf=Brand&sbv=Kenmore

I've had my machines so long, I hadn't heard of speed control, momof7. I'll have to check into it when/if dd gets a machine.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help. We're going to get one, the question is how to handle it. I agree with everyone who said the "adult machine" was the best buy. The more I look into it, the more I think the machine should go to ALL the girls (me included:001_smile:), and we can learn to sew together.

So, now, what's your favorite "learn to sew" book for little girls and adults?

The more I look into it, the more I think the machine should go to ALL the girls (me included:001_smile:), and we can learn to sew together.

If your dd's have already learned a lot of hand stitching, don't be surprised if they fly ahead of you (skillwise) and take over the machine. Our dd's did that back when I bought a Sears machine for less than $200 (wait for the sales). We wound up buying another one (exact same machine) so they could all sew when they wanted to. Ds's even learned to sew on it (they wanted to make their own costumes for a movie they were all filming).

It's also nice not having a cabinet, too, because they can haul it around and sew in private in their own rooms (also nice for containing the clutter!). 15yod even sews out in the camper. :)

As far as books, they all learned to sew by trial and error with the patterns themselves. I bought a few used books on sewing at a used bookstore (cheap! check net), but only 1 dd ever looked at them much. And I have to say that all dd's sew so much better than I do (I learned when I was 8 or so). Not sure why.

HTH.

PS - The machine will pay for itself as they learn to make clothes for your family. 17yod makes most of my shirts and some of her sisters' shirts.

PSS - One more thing and then I have to run. It's worth it to buy the maintenance thingy from Sears - for a few years anyway - esp. with young dc. Once a year you take it in and they give it a tune up.

Edited by ksva

So, now, what's your favorite "learn to sew" book for little girls and adults?

I would call your Extension Service which may provide free sewing lessons as well 4-H sewing curriculum materials.

Also, keep an eye at library sales or charity shops for the Reader's Digest sewing book. It shows different kinds of techniques (things like seam finishes) and defines sewing terms. A buck or two for a used copy will yield a lot of information.

Happy stitching!

Jane (who is not affiliated with the Sew Mama Sew blog but receives constant inspiration from it)