Menu

What is your long term science plan? (5th-12th grade)

I feel like science is one of the hardest subjects to teach in a homeschool.   For one thing, there are not a lot of quality resources to use.  (Perhaps I am overly picky.   I don't know.)  Every year I feel like I have to invent the wheel and make my own science curriculum.   This isn't impossible to do in elementary, but it is getting harder the older my kids get. 

SO---For those of you who plan ahead, what is your long term science plan once your kids hit logic and rhetoric stage.   How do you plan to teach science in high school?   I'm hoping someone will share an amazing resource I've never heard of.  :)  

My goal for elementary and middle school is just broad exposure through reading lots of books. For high school we transition to textbooks, either high school or college level. I haven't found high school science difficult to teach. There are lots of resources, online courses (both enrolled and independent like Coursera, MIT opencourseware), etc.

• Like 5

I have followed a similar approach as 8FillTheHeart.

For the middle grades, my goal was a broad knowledge base, keeping interest in science and curiosity alive, following child's interest. We used library books, documentaries, science museums, nature centers etc. I did not worry about comprehensive or systematic coverage until high school. For high school, we used introductory college texts which I found of far better quality than most highschool resources. There is a vast amount of resources available; look at the pinned threads on top of the board.

For my kids, this approach led to strong science interest and mastery. DD is a physics/literature double major; DS plans to go into health sciences and conpemplates a physics minor or possibly major.

• Like 5

Agreed with the above. Exposure and interest in the K-8 years followed by formal, textbook style lab science in high school.

More specifically, we took a pretty systematic survey of the sciences in 1-4, similar to the WTM cycle, though we didn't follow that order. I did it with living books and movies as well as hands on experiences. For 5-8, we've been more interest-led. I do think it's important for inspiring kids' interest to try and get hands on with science at least sometimes. I don't think any of it has to be complex though.

I am a little bit nervous about heading into high school science. But I do think we'll swing it.

• Like 1

Well, for all the long term planning I did when mine were younger, come middle school they start having their own opinions and interests.  I could have used my time more effectively than ever researching my own ideas ...but we live and we learn.  

My kids had full choice in middle school.  And it was a crazy mash up of interests

MiddleSchool:

ds:  Rainbow science(chem/phys), earth/geology/astronomy, Physical science.   I know, he did 2 physical science classes.  He liked it.  

dd: earth/geology/astronomy, Life science, Physical science

High School so far:

ds:  Environmental, Biology(2017-18)

dd:  Biology(2017-18)

I'm pretty sure my dd will do astronomy for high school and physics.  My ds however hasn't said what is next...  

I had this plan for lots of traditional and interest sciences, but at this point I just let them decide near the end of a year for the upcoming year and then focus my research efforts.  

I used BFSU to guide science from k-6. This year my olders are going to try a short integrated conceptual science course while they focus on math so that we can hopefully start with some high school level classes next year. I'm still open to independent interest on their parts, but I have a plan if the don't have independent interests at the end of the year...

My goal for elementary and middle school is just broad exposure through reading lots of books. For high school we transition to textbooks, either high school or college level. I haven't found high school science difficult to teach. There are lots of resources, online courses (both enrolled and independent like Coursera, MIT opencourseware), etc.

What are your personal favorite textbooks for high school level?

Also, I was hoping people could share more specifics.   In other words, what specific textbooks or online courses do you recommend?   And why?  How do I find an introductory college level biology textbook?    I'm not so much asking about your instructional philosophy at a high level--- I'm curious about implementation details.  (Either what you have done in the past or what you plan to do.)   

Besides book/course recommendations, what order did you have your child take the science classes?  (For example, do you recommend a physics first approach?   Or a biology first approach?   Maybe a physical science class in 8th grade so they can apply chemistry concepts to their biology class?)   (Assuming you have a child who LOVES math and does well...and assuming you also have a child who loves science.)   

The pinned posts on the high school forum (mentioned above) have hundreds of textbooks and other resources listed.   I feel very overwhelmed and don't know where to even start when I look at that list.  How do I narrow down that list?   

I have already eliminated a few choices.   (For example, I don't think Apologia would be a good fit for our family.   I also think that CPO looks like it would be hard to teach at home.)    But beyond that, I don't even know where to start.  

When my oldest was 4 years old, I *just* started to consider homeschooling.  I didn't know anything.   I remember looking ahead to 1st grade like that was going to be the ultimate test.   ("Oh, if I could only teach my child to read and write and add.")     :)   When I would ask for advice, other moms would ask me what "type" of homeschooler I was?  (???)   Then people would throw out crazy terms like "unschooling" and "classical" and mention some lady I'd never heard of named Charlotte Mason.   It was like they were speaking a foreign language, and I had to somehow quickly classify myself into one of the types.    Then I had to choose a math curriculum :)   and there was all of this conflicting advice about what was the "best" math book.   Everyone had an opinion about what was the best.    Do any of you remember that crazy, overwhelmed feeling?   Well, I have a similar feeling now.  LOL

When I think about that time, I smile at myself now.   And I am sure I will look back at this time in my life and smile.   BUT, in the mean time, what do I use for science??   :) :) 

• Like 3

I'm in a similar state of confusion. I've looked several places.

Here is the link for Oak Meadow High School Science. You can sign up for an online course or teach it yourself. If the latter, be sure and order the Teacher's Guide (listed separately from the package deal).

Beyond this year, I'm looking at Elemental Science and The Well Trained Mind Academy (scroll down for science). My spouse is retiring soon and can teach Anatomy & Physiology, Biology, Ornithology, and Scientific Illustration. We may also look at Community College offerings.

We are not to 5th yet but for 5th- 12th our plan is to use BJU since some of the best science students I met in college were 3 homeschooled people who used BJU. We will follow the typical schedule but I won't do BJU physics. I just think that is the weakest year. We will probably send them to a college class for this.

I do plan on taking one year and designing my own neurobiology curriculum. I have my college stuff and will use a college textbook (Eric Kandel which is the bible of neuroscience) and I have a spiker box so we can run experiments at home. We can do some patch clamping of neurons in our lab after hours. I cannot wait for that year! So excited! I would like to take the whole year at the minimum since it takes at least 2 years to become well rooted in neuroscience and fully understand it. However, I may truncate it and just teach neurophys and brief neuroanatomy so I can squeeze in a semester of genetics. So much science so little time...sigh...

• Like 2

Also, I was hoping people could share more specifics.   In other words, what specific textbooks or online courses do you recommend?   And why?  How do I find an introductory college level biology textbook?    I'm not so much asking about your instructional philosophy at a high level--- I'm curious about implementation details.  (Either what you have done in the past or what you plan to do.)   

Besides book/course recommendations, what order did you have your child take the science classes?  

None of my kids have taken the same approach.   One started with chemistry.  Another with physics.  Another with ecology.  Another with biology.  They have used different textbooks for the most part.  

It really depends on the student, their abilities, and their goals.  My science pursuing sons took different courses/sequence than my literature/language loving dd.  

Trying to narrow down curriculum selections without thinking about the needs of the individual child is just not how we function.  It actually stresses me to think about trying to nail down something that I can't even fathom b/c I don't know my child's abilities.  (I have no clue what my 10th grader will use for science for 11th and 12th.  I am in the thick of thinking about 10th.)  

In terms of how you find them, when you are needing to plan the course within a yr or so, you start inquiring about what textbooks fit the needs of a student with X profile.  It doesn't take yrs of planning ahead to use textbook Y.  

• Like 4

Besides book/course recommendations, what order did you have your child take the science classes?  (For example, do you recommend a physics first approach?   Or a biology first approach?   Maybe a physical science class in 8th grade so they can apply chemistry concepts to their biology class?)   

There is no one size fits all. That's why it is important to look at the various available options, which several posters have taken pains to assemble in the sticky threads. Just because a certain textbook worked for my children does not mean it is a useful resource for yours.

I have used for my kids:

College Physics by Knight, Jones Field

Chang Chemistry: Essential Concepts

Campbell/Reece Biology: Concepts and Connections

DD then took three semesters of calculus based physics at the university in 11th and 12th grades.

DS took Intro to Astronomy at the university in 12th grade

We did not do a full physical science course, but in the middle grades, part of the interest based learning for DS included the Conceptaul Physics text by Hewitt and the Bloomfield How things work text.

I strongly prefer Physics first for philosophical reasons; I definiitely find it beneficial for student sto have taken chemistry before biology. I learned this the hard way when DD did bio as her first high school science in 7th grade. She took physics the following year. With DS, we started with physics in 9th, then chem, then bio.

ETA: You find intro college texts on amazon. Older editions are dirt cheap.

The pinned posts on the high school forum (mentioned above) have hundreds of textbooks and other resources listed.   I feel very overwhelmed and don't know where to even start when I look at that list.  How do I narrow down that list?   

You start by  choosing the subject. Preferably when it gets closer and you have a better idea of your child's learning style, interest level, ability. You don't need to start in 5th grade picking high school texts. Once you have chosen the subject, decide on a level. Then you look through the resources and decide: secular or relligious, video/online or textbook, what level book. Perhaps narrow it down to 2-3 different books, get used copies and compare - or go by recommendations from trusted posters who have similar schooling philosophies and children with similar abilities and interest levels. But it is completely pointless to do this many years in advance. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

When dd was in 4th she took a one-semester geology class with Athena's Advanced Academy. 

In 6th she took life science with Kolbe Academy.

In 7th she took Jetta's Clover Creek Physics class. 

I think Jetta's class was her favorite; she especially loved the projects and the labs.  All three classes were good experiences for her. 

Next year she will take chemistry, and she will probably follow that up with biology in 9th grade.  After that, it depends on what direction she wants to take with her studies.

I have a tentative plan. DS is my oldest and he in 8th technically. So far, we did Sonlight science for 5th and 6th.

CK-12 Life Science for 7th

8th - Novare Accelerated Physics and Chemistry through Wilson Hill Academy

I realize we jumped quite a bit in science. So far it's really been to easy for him.

For high school:

Option 1: continue with Wilson Hill Academy - they use Novare for Chemistry and Miller/Levine Biology if I remember

Option 2: On our own. I've researched some curricula. We're not fans of Apologia either, so this is what I have so far:

Biology - Shepherd

Chemistry - Spectrum

Physics - not sure

AP Biology - Reece/Campbell

Also, I really think I'm going to like Novare Science, so that is probably what we'll do if Wilson Hill Academy works out.

For me second, we'll probably use NOEO science 5th and 6th, then Shepherd Life Science for 7th.

All of my kids are doing something different, but here's what oldest did:

5th-7th: I can't remember, but probably living books on different topics, we did Apologia Anatomy & Physiology at some point

8th: Biology using Holt Biology

9th:  Astronomy and Earth Science using Signs and Seasons Classical Astronomy + booklist + field trips and field studies

10th:  (2 sciences) Human Anatomy using parts of Holt Biology + Living books + Labs I put together AND Ethology using living books (no labs)

Planned for 11th:  (2 sciences) Discovering Design through Chemistry and Genetics (no clue what we will do for that yet)

Planned for 12th:  Probably Apologia Physics and whatever else she wants to do

The only two science textbooks I can say we really liked are Holt Biology (I have Campbell Biology, too, but the kids prefer Holt) and Signs and Seasons Classical Astronomy.

Always subject to change.  ;)

Ds 12

5th: Mystery Science + co-op science classes (completed)

6th: RS4K Building Blocks Levels 5 & 6, Ellen McHenry Brain & Cells, Memoria Press Birds

7th: RS4K Building Blocks Level 7, Ellen McHenry Protozoa & Rocks and Dirt, Memoria Press Insects

8th: RS4K Building Blocks Level 8, WTMA Physics, Memoria Press Trees

9th: Biology (WTMA) Botany (Ellen McHenry)

10th: Chemistry (WTMA) Environmental Science (Oak Meadow)

11th: Botany I & II (DE) Environmental Science (DE) Intro to Chemistry (DE)

12th: Chemistry  I & II (DE) Physics I (DE) Microbiology (DE)

Dd 13

6th: H Science 2 & 3 (FLVS) completed

7th: H Physical Science (FLVS) completed

8th: Physics (WTMA) Advanced Biology: Anatomy & Physiology (Mr. Q) Brain and Cells (McHenry)

- If she does not go to school for 9th-10th

9th: Biology (WTMA) History of Science (elective) (WTMA) 

10th: Chemistry (WTMA) Anatomy & Physiology (WTMA)

- If she goes to school

9th: Advanced Biology, Medical Skills

10th: Advanced Chemistry, Health Sciences I

11th: Chemistry I & II (DE) Biology I (DE)

12th: Physics I & II (DE) Anatomy & Physiology I & II (DE)

And, my other-end-of-the-spectrum absolute non-science child. :)

Dd 17

7th: Science 2 (FLVS) completed

8th: Science 3 (FLVS) completed

9th: Physical Science (FLVS) completed

10th: Biology (FLVS) completed

11th: no science

12th: Intro to Marine Science (DE) Intro to Earth Science (DE)

Short aside:  I recently sat near 2 new moms in a café.  They were so deep in discussion over details like diaper contents, stroller seat angles, baby foods, sleep schedules.  It made me so nostalgic for the days when my first was a baby and those thoughts consumed every waking moment.  :-D  By the fourth, I was just happy if I hadn't lost him somewhere by the end of the day.

Back to topic:  Great post, it's something I need to think about as well.  We are nearing a sort of critical time for deciding when/if oldest will enter the public school system.  The latest he could re-enter would be US 10th grade, but entering in 8th, 9th, or 10th all require relatively rigorous exams.  Entering in 7th would be comparatively simple.  Looking at the exams, they are very do-able with serious study, but each year has a different science of emphasis, so I'd need to align sciences to make the exams possible.  Ack!  

Anyway, that still gives me the next three years- US 5th-7th to do what I want.  I think the material I want to cover is:

- Ellen McHenry Chemistry, Rocks and Dirt, and Carbon Chemistry

- The Way Things Work books, plus a basic physics course.  Possibly Life of Fred Pre Alg with Physics, although that might be too basic. 

- The Way We Work, McHenry's Botany and Cells, The Way Life Works (despite the title, this is not a Macaulay book)

- The Joy of Science great course with Sciences: An Integrated Approach textbook

Considering things in terms of math, it makes sense to delay physics and chemistry a bit.  Until a kid can do some high school math, those classes are going to be pretty low-level content.  

I know I've listed too many materials here, so I'll need to do some picking and choosing, but this is what I'm considering for middle school science.  For high school, if we end up with kids still home for that, I'll be considering EdX or Great Courses offerings with corresponding textbooks.    

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland

I love everything over at sabbathmoodhomeschool.com - her science schedule ideas and resource ideas.  She also has more and more guides that tell you how to use the resources she recommends, all laid out in a day by day lesson format.

• Like 1

Also, I was hoping people could share more specifics. In other words, what specific textbooks or online courses do you recommend? And why? How do I find an introductory college level biology textbook?

We are child-led because my husband and I were given full autonomy over academic choices since we were in 6th grade public school. I don't know what would be considered an introductory college level biology but my kids didn't mind the Campbell AP Biology textbook as they aren't interested in biology and rather read biology than do a course.

AoPS Python online classes - it was a fun summer class for my oldest years ago to keep him from being bored at home. However it wasn't necessary and my youngest did not go for those classes as he doesn't mind a low academic load.

AoPS intermediate number theory - it is stretching my DS12 mentally so he is enjoying whining about how hard it is :)

Edhesive AP Computer Science A - it got the job done. Both my kids did well for the AP exam, a 4 and a 5

Clover Creek Physics - my oldest enjoyed Jetta's (MorningGlory) teaching and her tuition was very affordable. The library free wifi was sufficient for my boy to attend the online class when we were not home.

For science we are rather relaxed and go with the flow.

DS12 has no specific major in mind and his science sequence so far is

6th - Clover Creek Physics (Jetta) for the academics aspect and a homeschool hands on lab class for socializing needs. Miller Levine Biology textbook for an overview

7th - Thinkwell chemistry for an overview and he took the SAT physics test in June and cleared that too.

8th - PAH Chemistry and Physics C. He has already passed AP Calculus BC.

DS11 has a different personality and prefers hands on to reading. He is looking at aeronautical/mechanical engineering for now

6th - Thinkwell chemistry, labpaq chemistry, labpaq biology

7th - Physics with me but have not decided on resources yet. We have lots of Physics books and textbooks in the house as well as lab equipment. I'm not worried about not planning.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

What we did / do:

BJU Science: grade 2 - Lifescience (spread about grade 7+8 supplemented with exam requirements about physical science)

Grade 9-10: combination of IGCSE Complete Physics, IGCSE Complete Chemistry, Parts of M&L Biology.

Grade 11-12: exam preparation for the three sciences.

Space&Earth Science & Environmental Science are covered by Geography during grade 11-12 here (yearly 1/4 credit)

• Like 1

We are using uzinggo as a "spine:" it's an online program that uses games to teach science. my DS loved it last year and retained a lot. We then fill in with living books and documentaries. I also just got great course plus to round out science and history. It's available through HSBC.

In high school I hope to outsource science, either through our local CC or some other means.

That's all I have planned.

ETA: specific books we are reading relating to science this year are The Disappearing Sooon, Reactivity (Marie & Pierre Curie) Brilliant Blunders, A Brief History of Everything by Stephen Hawking, Astronomy for all Ages.

This year us technically earth science and astronomy but DS requested "chemical reactions"!so I might flip this year and next in the logic sequence.

Edited by Runningmom80

My 5th-grader is using Exploration Education this year.

With my firstborn, we did various things for middle school science, but had the best success with McHenry's programs. I plan to use her again for those grades, along with lots of interest-led learning with living (trade) books. 

For the first two years of high school, we did ACE science with the DVDs. I wanted to focus most of our time and money on English and Math (outsourced) those years, and I needed a complete, get 'er done curriculum for science. ACE's DVDs were perfect for this, and they were not as expensive as an online program. Ninth was biology, tenth was an intro to physics and chem.

For the last two years of high school, we are putting a greater focus on science, particularly as it applies to career goals. My DS is going into aviation, so 11th grade will be earth, meteorology, and space science, (earth/met - Novare at home with a Great Course and a few other books, and space - through Excelsior online). 12th will be physics, either online or at the community college.

One of the more helpful bits of advice I've gotten for planning high school is to have nothing set in stone. It has been necessary for us to reevaluate every year. And right now there is an explosion of online classes; I'm sure there will be many more by the time you are at this stage.

My favorites:

Mystery Science through 5th grade.

The videos are engaging, well-taught, and creative.  The activities are simple yet very effective at teaching concepts. My youngest child not only enjoys the program but has also discovered an interest in science.  This is something I never managed to accomplish for any of my children when I was trying to teach them this subject, even though I have an advanced degree in a science field.

BJU 6th, 7th, and 8th grades (using distance learning online).

BJU middle school science online instructors are excellent.  These courses have helped my kids learn how to read a science textbook, take notes, and study for difficult exams.  They have provided excellent preparation for high school.

High school science will be taken at our local high school.