Menu

Would you get a barely over min. Wage job knowing 40% will go to taxes?

However, in most cases, filing jointly puts you in the best tax bracket as a family.  I think part of the thought is to value the family. When there are two adults in the home, even if one is not getting paid an income, they are providing a definite value to the family, and to the community -- which is becoming more obvious as there are fewer stay at home parents out there.  So things that used to be volunteer driven are now either paid or don't happen.

I can see that, within the current US system.  The UK system values families by not allowing joint filing (which benefits couples rather than necessarily children) but by giving each family an amount of money per week to help support children, whether or not the parents are tax payers.   https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/what-youll-get

• Like 1

I've recently applied for a job that won't pay much. I'm guessing I'd clear $100 a week max. But our situation is different because our kids are grown, so my being out of the house a few hours a day won't be particularly stressful or present any big hassle. The job is something I think I'd absolutely love doing, and while we don't really need the money--hey, a little extra is always nice, isn't it? SS doesn't concern me as there's no way on earth I'd earn enough that I wouldn't be better off getting half of what DH will get. But having something on a resume after a 21 year gap would be nice just in case I ever did need to maximize my earning potential.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I can see that, within the current US system.  The UK system values families by not allowing joint filing (which benefits couples rather than necessarily children) but by giving each family an amount of money per week to help support children, whether or not the parents are tax payers.   https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/what-youll-get

Technically they do that here.  You have to work at least a little, but if you make very little you can get money even if you don't pay any taxes. 

• Like 1

No. I considered it, but even if I went back to teaching in PS, which I considered, my salary would be such a tiny fraction of Dh's that it makes more sense for me to spend my time making it easier for him to do his job. A job isn't important to my personal happiness, though. If it were, my answer would be different.

I'm happy being with my kids and doing things with them. I don't really feel any need for more.

• Like 2

I've recently applied for a job that won't pay much. I'm guessing I'd clear $100 a week max. But our situation is different because our kids are grown, so my being out of the house a few hours a day won't be particularly stressful or present any big hassle. The job is something I think I'd absolutely love doing, and while we don't really need the money--hey, a little extra is always nice, isn't it? SS doesn't concern me as there's no way on earth I'd earn enough that I wouldn't be better off getting half of what DH will get. But having something on a resume after a 21 year gap would be nice just in case I ever did need to maximize my earning potential.

Is there a cap on social security? I thought the cap only applied to the survivor benefits? Or do you mean you're not likely to make the 10 years or whatever the minimum is for any benefit to kick in? I'm trying to learn this.

Is there a cap on social security? I thought the cap only applied to the survivor benefits? Or do you mean you're not likely to make the 10 years or whatever the minimum is for any benefit to kick in? I'm trying to learn this.

I worked for almost 13 years before becoming a SAHM. That's my only job history. I *think* what I'll draw will be supplemented (for lack of a better word) based on half (maximum) of DH's higher monthly entitlement amount  See this page for a few more details (it's still fuzzy). There are calculators you can use to get a good estimate.

I worked for almost 13 years before becoming a SAHM. That's my only job history. I *think* what I'll draw will be supplemented (for lack of a better word) based on half (maximum) of DH's higher monthly entitlement amount See this page for a few more details (it's still fuzzy). There are calculators you can use to get a good estimate.

Interesting! I thought one only collected what one had "earned" via credits, and only if spouse died you got survivor benefits. Thanks for setting me straight. :)
  • Like 1

I strongly suspect that contribution you make through gardening, cooking, etc., would go way down.  Your food budget, etc. is going to go up.  I suspect that $600 will turn into $300 or less right quick.  Now is it worth it?  

The fact that we can go out to eat more when I'm working vs me having to cook is a pro when I add things up.  ;)  It's what we choose to use a bit of my income on - trading a job I enjoy to pay someone else for one I don't.

Gardening doesn't change.  I don't spend all my time in the garden.  My plants can grow without my constant supervision.  Our garden has been the same size regardless of whether I work outside the home or not.  

YMMV

• Like 3

Again I would through out the idea of working from home.  There are so many jobs you can do from home.  I think that makes everything so much better.  No commuting.  No clothes. 

Also can you kids work?  They are teens right?  Can they do something for pay?  Could they work some at the horse place? 

Again I would through out the idea of working from home.  There are so many jobs you can do from home.  I think that makes everything so much better.  No commuting.  No clothes. 

Also can you kids work?  They are teens right?  Can they do something for pay?  Could they work some at the horse place? 

I thought of that too when reading the OP.  Maybe the kid with the horse hobby can either trade barn work for lesson pay or stall rental or whatever, or find a part-time job and contribute to the horse expenses.  

• Like 1

Such as?

• Like 1

Maybe you already considered this, but you could also look at what you might cut.  I do a yearly rate check on insurances.  We cut back on the cable package.  We use cheap prepaid no frills cell service.  Those sorts of things.  Heck, one year I went and relooked at my taxes and found $200.  I filed an amended return.  It's kinda my way of earning some money because most people who are working a lot and too busy just would not bother with a lot of that.  I wouldn't either! 

I thought of that too when reading the OP.  Maybe the kid with the horse hobby can either trade barn work for lesson pay or stall rental or whatever, or find a part-time job and contribute to the horse expenses.  

Yep.  I think that would be a great idea.  That was my first thought. 

I think having skin in the game is important.  

Going back to read about the job as I think I skipped that.  I wouldn't do it for a job at Staples or the same unless I was in a bad situation.  Not to knock that kind of work, but because it comes with added expenses I would want something that paid more.   

• Like 1

Maybe you already considered this, but you could also look at what you might cut.  I do a yearly rate check on insurances.  We cut back on the cable package.  We use cheap prepaid no frills cell service.  Those sorts of things.  Heck, one year I went and relooked at my taxes and found $200.  I filed an amended return.  It's kinda my way of earning some money because most people who are working a lot and too busy just would not bother with a lot of that.  I wouldn't either! 

This is great advice.  Comb over all your bills and look to see what you can cut.

Insurance

Do you get a refund? 

Phones

cable

Do you have a gym fee? 

Food costs?  Can you shop at Aldi?  Coupons? Price matching? 

Do you shop online?  Do you use a cashback site?  Do you buy discounted gift cards and then use a coupon code?  Use all 3 and a credit card that pays you too. 

Do you do the Ibotta and other sites for cash on your shopping? 

Can you do some bank bonuses? 

How about selling things?  Garage sale?  Ebay.  Selling things on CL or FB

Do you have any high paying skills?  Can you tutor?  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

What kinds of jobs are there working from home?  I mean legit and relatively easy to get jobs.

There are so many

This is from Simple Homeschool that was selling a bundle that gave 200 job ideas from home

The Chat Shop (customer support) 

TranscribeMe! (transcription) 

Leapforce (Search Engine Evaluation) 

Wonder (research) 

Proofreading Services (proofreading)

You could start a blog

Do surveys

You can tutor online

Lots of ideas here

http://moneysavingmom.com/downloads/income-earning-ideas

More ideas on ways to save.

http://moneysavingmom.com/series/52-different-ways-to-save-100-per-year

And if you go on pintrest and search work from home there are TONS of ideas. 

But yeah I think your kids need to work too. 

• Like 1

Well, I'm the one hoping to pay for danceclasses.

Dd already works at the studio, but teacher assistants are volunteers, not paid.

Another mom already has the "clean the studio for free dance classes job".

She babysits, butI can make more subbing.

Wow sweet gig.  If i could get that it would save me so much.   All my kids dance. 

I wonder how our teach assistants work.  I would imagine it is volunteer.