Menu

Introvert Life: I rock at email, but I am a doofus on the phone.

Hyacinth

Yep. Email, texting, I don't even mind talking in person. I can do the phone better with strangers (like calling to make an appointment) than with acquaintances. It just feels awkward. In the working world, if I had an important phone call to make, I would often write out key phrases beforehand.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 2

I hate talking on the phone.  Some of it is introversion, some of it is asynchronous communication (I hate to bother someone to ask a question, so I dislike calling but an email--hey, they opened it up....) and but a good part of it started with the nativity of the cell phone because the speakers are so dang tiny that it is hard to hear and the calls getting dropped (early days) just retrained me to do email.  Now that I have hearing loss, even more so!  

When I do have to talk to someone on the phone, I usually go out to my car and put the call through BluTooth, yes, sitting in my driveway.  My car is 50% 4-wheeled phone booth.  

I used to flat out refuse to leave messages.  I'm better about it now, through forced practice.

DH and I started our dating relationship with written conversations, and still when I have something that's particularly difficult for me/us to talk about (currently it's faith), I write it out for him to read later.  I keep a private blog for that purpose.

Edited by CES2005

Same.

Last week I had to call my SIL to discuss some wedding arrangement, but she didn't answer. So instead, I left this idiotic-sounding, stammering message, in which I tried to cover all the important points while still trying not to leave a ten-minute message, which is what it ended up being anyway. The only vindication was when she called me back and went to my voicemail and sounded equally awkward.

I've never actually done it because it is so immature and this is real life, not the movies, but I've always wanted to call someone on the telephone, say "text me", hang up the phone, and then refuse to answer it when it started ringing.

Basically, do the same exact thing they do to me when they send me a text that says "call me", which is normal and socially acceptable and I'm supposed to just put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

So yea, it's a thing. I have a custom ring tone that is my own recording of silence but I am the queen of tl;dr emails. ;)

The people who love me accept it, the people who can't accept it need to make new friends.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I've never actually done it because it is so immature and this is real life, not the movies, but I've always wanted to call someone on the telephone, say "text me", hang up the phone, and then refuse to answer it when it started ringing.

Basically, do the same exact thing they do to me when they send me a text that says "call me", which is normal and socially acceptable and I'm supposed to just put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

So yea, it's a thing. I have a custom ring tone that is my own recording of silence but I am the queen of tl;dr emails. ;)

The people who love me accept it, the people who can't accept it need to make new friends.

My mother texts me to call her. I hate that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the same way - hate, hate, hate talking on the phone. Leaving a message is terrible, because the only thing worse than having to make a call, is having to answer a return call from someone that I left a message for. 

Well, DH has had some extra time this week, and he's fantastic about making phone calls (and just getting things done in general), so he sweetly offered to help schedule appointments for me, and that's been great. 

So if you can rope someone into playing personal secretary for you, do it!  :laugh:

HATE calling people and talking on the phone.  I am not introverted, so it took me awhile to figure out what my issue with the phone is.  I get so much more understanding from speaking face to face with a person than the phone.  On the phone, I can't read body language and then I question everything.  I have to know someone REALLY well to feel comfortable talking on the phone.   This was the downside to being a receptionist for a company for two years - the job was all on the phone!  

You would think email would be worse for me, but I find email and texting SO MUCH LESS STRESSFUL.  I feel like there is a universal understanding that in text or email recipients should take everything at face value.  

Even my very best friends know to text me and not call.  If I call them, tey assume someone is in the hospital or I have won the powerball jackpot.  

I find it emotionally draining to talk to people anymore. I used to talk on the phone. Now I have the hardest time with that.

I do email. I text.

I talk on the phone sometimes. I have to be "up" for it even with good friends. I check caller ID and sometimes I just don't pick up.