Menu

If you had found something that belonged to someone else

DawnM

Here is the backstory.  We bought a used car in November.  We drove 3 hours to the coast to get it because of the deal we got (we tried to get the same deal locally, but couldn't.)

We were cleaning out the car this weekend and DH was looking at the spare tire area and pulled up a glasses case with a pair of glasses in it.  There was a receipt for almost $400 in there as they are prescription sunglasses.  Honestly, I am wondering if the pair actually in there are the older pair as they don't look new, but still....I know it is always nice to have a spare pair.

Anyway, the receipt has the eye place listed, but I have been doing some digging hoping to find the owner's number, which I haven't been able to do.  However, I did get an obituary for the wife, which makes me sad.  Spokeo says he is deceased, but I think it was the wife who died as I can't find an obituary for him.

I am going to call the eye exam place at 10am when they open, but sending it to the eye exam place is the best solution, right?  I would rather send it directly to him but then I started thinking he may consider me a stalker if I even could find his phone number.

The receipt is from 2012, hopefully he hasn't been missing them that long!

I'd call the eye doctor's office and see what they have to say.   If the patient is still current with them, the office can have you send the glasses to them, and they will pass them on.  Confidentially is not compromised, and the person will get what they need.  

• Like 3

I have no problem shipping it off, really, it isn't a burden.

If it was a burden, perhaps your church would pick up the shipping.

If it was a burden, perhaps your church would pick up the shipping.

That is odd to me, why would my church pay for shipping of something I found in my car that belonged to someone else?

I could see them helping me get food to feed my family, but I wouldn't even think of going to a church to ask for shipping for something  like this and I wouldn't expect them to pay for them.

• Like 6

Could you send the glasses to the dealership where you bought the car?  I would assume they have the previous owner's contact information.  Or did you buy the car directly from the owner?  

The car had two previous owners.  I assume this is the first owner because his name is William/Bill and his wife's name is Rose.  The owner who turned the car into the dealership was named Dan and Kathy.  I am assuming this anyway because the car's GPS says, "Dan's phone" and "Kathy's phone" when I tried to sync my iphone to the navigation system.  It gives their address too!  But I don't think that is who the glasses belong to.

Anyway, I can't see the car dealership caring nearly as much as the eye place.  

The car had two previous owners.  I assume this is the first owner because his name is William/Bill and his wife's name is Rose.  The owner who turned the car into the dealership was named Dan and Kathy.  I am assuming this anyway because the car's GPS says, "Dan's phone" and "Kathy's phone" when I tried to sync my iphone to the navigation system.  It gives their address too!  But I don't think that is who the glasses belong to.

Anyway, I can't see the car dealership caring nearly as much as the eye place.  

Could be Bill and Rose's kids. 5 years is a long time. I also would call the eyeglass place, but I wouldn't ship them until I heard back. Lion's Clubs take eyeglasses for donations.

ETA: And YIKES on the dealership not wiping out that personal info!

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 1

I would try tho go through the eyeglasses store. If you can reasonably do it, return them. If not, I would not go through the dealership, as I can almost guarantee that the glasses would end up in the garbage can. If you have no luck, donate them to the Lion's Club.

If the glasses are over 5 years old then the prescription is almost certainly out of date.  The only thing useful for the owner might be the frames.  You can call the eye glasses place and see if they still work with the person and maybe they could call to see if the person still wants those glasses back (if they are still alive) but I wouldn't stress too much over this.  Prescriptions change and especially in older people they can change yearly.  They would also almost certainly have had to replace these glasses looooong ago.  If it were a pair lost a few months ago I would be working a lot harder to return them but with glasses that old, and not seeming to be new (so probably the new glasses were what they wore home and the old ones got put in that glasses case) this was probably an old prescription even in 2012.  

Call the eye place but I think probably it will end up making more sense to donate them.

It is very kind of you to want to return them, though.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 5

I would 100% try to find the owners of the glasses. I'd start with the eye doctor. If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure if I'd scare the guy by calling him and asking him for his address. He might feel stalked.

But I'll bet the eye doctor will accept them on his behalf, so he doesn't have to give out his address.

2012? His prescription has probably changed. Speaking as someone that wears glasses. YMMV.

Do you have contact info for who you bought the used car from or was it from a dealership?

I don't think the eye place will be able to do much but it can't hurt, either.

Dealership