Menu

Do you like Van Gogh's art works?

eve55

Do people think of Van Gogh as a southern painter? I never have. Definitely northern spirit; there is an explosion of colour that occurs in the spring and summer of the north, which is intense but fleeting. 

We went to a Van Gogh exhibition in our city last weekend. It said he was heavily inspired by Japanese art. I could really see it in some of his paintings once the nice info plaques told me how to look.  :laugh:

Do people think of Van Gogh as a southern painter? I never have. Definitely northern spirit; there is an explosion of colour that occurs in the spring and summer of the north, which is intense but fleeting.

He is both. He lived in the north and then moved to the south of France, and from what I remember, he would rave about the light in the south. He changed the way he used color/light when he moved farther south. He loved the light and colors in the south. You can tell by looking at the paintings when he moved.

Edited by Garga

... This one is another I like, same subject. 

oooh!  The irises.

The irises are at the Getty in Santa Monica, California. Whenever we have to drive to the far south of California, we stop at the Getty Museum and just relax and take in the artwork and gardens.  Sitting awhile before such evocative beauty takes the hard edge off of California freeway travel (Google CA 405 freeway for perspective).  Sigh. Highly recommended.  Van Gogh never knew...

• Like 1

Maybe they don't, and it's just me!  I think it must be because I associate him so much with Arles, but you're right of course, that isn't really a fair assessment.

I don't dislike Van Gogh, but to be honest Impressionism doesn't usually "speak" to me.  Yesterday we spent the day at the museum at an exhibit of the early years of Monet.  It was interesting to see his work as he tried to make work that would be acceptable to the Paris salon scene that would make him a commercial success, and to see the techniques of impressionism struggling to get out.  Apparently, it couldn't be denied :)

I think I'd need to see the above posted piece in person to experience the brushstrokes & technique to make a judgement.  

Amber in SJ

He is both. He lived in the north and then moved to the south of France, and from what I remember, he would rave about the light in the south. He changed the way he used color/light when he moved farther south. He loved the light and colors in the south. You can tell by looking at the paintings when he moved.

I guess I never looked at his works chronologically/geographically. I just assumed the bright, summery ones were of summer scenes in Europe somewhere. The whole continent isn't very large, so a move from Holland to southern France isn't very far - not by North American standards. ;)

Many years ago, I took my two young daughters and baby son to see a Van Gogh exhibit that traveled to "our" art museum. We were just starting out, and I had to spend quite a bit of our food budget on those tickets, and it was a ridiculous extravagance.  :laugh:  It was totally worth it! 

• Like 2

I agree entirely.

For me, my best AhHa moment was seeing my favorite Degas (The Ballet Rehearsal 1873) up close. I had always been in love with that scene,but being a couple of feet from it and just studying the brush strokes, the depth which cannot be conveyed by photo...it was an amazing moment.

Okay, so I should admit that part of the romance may have been seeing it in the Muses d'Orsay in Paris! :D

But still...photos are wonderful but they do not convey the light, the brush strokes, the depth.

Bucket list alert!

Monet is my favorite, but I like some of Van Gogh. I would love to see that Degas in person. And I want to see the giant clock face.

This is just from another perspective : If you love Van Gogh, you gotta love all his works, lol.

FWIW, I disagree on that point, whether you're talking about artists, musicians, or writers. I love a lot of creative works of various types, but I don't have to love everything a person creates to love or appreciate that creator.

• Like 2

There is something to seeing a piece in person.  A couple years ago a Vermeer exhibit came to my favorite museum in SF.  I appreciate Vermeer's work, but " Girl With a Pearl Earring," was never at the top of my list.  When I saw her though.......I could have stood there all day & stared.  Something about it makes you open up and let the beauty pour in.  

I had the same experience with a Degas exhibit.  Because I was a serious dancer throughout my childhood & teenage years people were always giving me things with Degas prints and I always felt *meh* about them.  And then I saw them.  I have never come so close to touching a piece of art in my life :)

The Picasso exhibit didn't elicit the same feeling.  Most of Picasso makes me feel like he is playing a colossal joke, right?

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ