Menu

does anyone else get "puffy/fluffy" in the summer?

HollyDay

I have struggled with fluid retention/weight gain in the warmer months for the last 8-10 years starting with perimenopause and continuing into menopause.  Some years are better than others.  It is already starting this year.  Granted, the temperatures are already in the upper 80s/low 90s.  So, summer is here.  I have hypertension, so my GP has said if I can't keep the water weight gain down and my BP is affected, she will try a diuretic.  We don't want to go that route, so looking for alternative ideas. 

I know to increase water intake and watch sodium intake.  I'm already gluten free (this is by choice for inflammation, not an allergy) and dairy free (again, by choice, not allergy). 

My diet does not particularly change in the summer so I'm thinking it is not a calorie load problem.  Although, fresh berries and cherries are available now so those are in my meal plans. 

No chips or sodas or boxed/processed meals.  No salad dressings.  I've looked pretty hard at hidden sodium and junk.  We do occasionally eat out but not regularly.  Dd's senior banquet was last night and I'm pretty sure there was some gluten in one of the side dishes and who knows about the dressing...but again, that was a special occasion.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for keeping fluid retention/weight gain to a minimum in the summer?  We will be 100+ again this summer.  I'd like to get ahead of the heat if at all possible.....

I have water retention and what helps me is seeing an acupuncturist.

I wason a diuretic for a short time and the dr asked me to look at more natural options,this was 10+ years ago. 

Looks like you are in Texas,I'm guessing here.

I live in Dallas and its like you are describing the weather here.

Anyway if you live in Dfw need an acupuncturist,please pm me

Same here.  I noticed yesterday that my Fitbit Blaze band had to be loosened throughout the day because I was getting puffy.  I'm active and drink plenty of water during the day.  During the summer my body seems to hold the water all day long and then I am up multiple times during the night in the bathroom.

I think some amount of fluid retention is going to happen to most of us during the summer, especially in more humid climates. I guess the question is when does it cross the line from normal and expected into the problem area. As someone who keeps an eagle eye on food/calorie intake and weight (and who has hypothyroidism) -- yeah, it's definitely aggravating because even though I *think* I know when a higher number is related to fluid there's really no way to know for sure it's not due to needing my thyroid medication adjusted. I've never had a BP problem, but nurses and doctors have always said it's normal here for it to go up in the summer. One time mine was more than a bit high and the nurse said just walking across the parking lot from my air conditioned car to the air conditioned office would have been enough to do it. IIRC it was close to 100 that day and the humidity was very high.

Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live/End of Diabetes plan actually solved this for me, finally...it's a very extreme diet, but it seems to be the answer to all my health problems, from lupus to diabetes to water retention. I can't even describe to you, how it feels to not swell up and suffer in the heat (after almost 20 years of that). It's a little like being a kid again.

• Like 2

Last summer it was particularly bad.  I wore compression socks.  Since, I've lost weight, went on a low carb diet, exercised, etc.  So far no swelling whatsoever.  I hate to say low carb is the answer to everything, but it's starting to feel that way because it has solved so many of my problems!

• Like 1

I'm sure I'm not getting enough protein. My provider looked at my meal plan last visit and said everything else looked great but not enough protein. I've tried to adjust that but I keep reverting back to more veggies. Dinner last night was lentils. Breakfast yesterday was one egg, steal cut oats with cherrries. Lunch is usually a salad. All my carb and veggie and fruit choices are wise, lower GI choices, but I'm thinking I'm lacking protein.

• Like 1

Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live/End of Diabetes plan actually solved this for me, finally...it's a very extreme diet, but it seems to be the answer to all my health problems, from lupus to diabetes to water retention. I can't even describe to you, how it feels to not swell up and suffer in the heat (after almost 20 years of that). It's a little like being a kid again.

Thanks for posting this.

Google tells me that this plan is vegan...is that correct?

I feel best physically and mentally when following a vegan diet but after my sister died in December I just sort of said 'screw it' and ate horribly.

Even though my numbers are horrible right now this post gives me hope that I can feel better and hopefully improve my numbers.

Thanks for the kick in the pants!

Yep! But I have issues all year, just worse in the summer. It started in high school for me, so it's not just weight, BP, etc.as I was thin, in decent shape, and had very low BP at that point. I had a reprieve for a couple of years (who knows why?), and it's back as bad as it ever gets. 

Besides the discomfort of clothes that fit differently, the annoyance of looking heavier than I should, and just feeling icky from being so saturated, it's just plain embarrassing to never know if you'll need to be near a bathroom all day or fine to go on that hike, etc. Of course, then the hike makes it worse...I'm so sick of feeling like I'm in my dotage.

• Like 1