Menu

Oh, the angst of being a teen ...

Dd is fighting back the tears.  Dd attends the high school part-time.  Today was the first day that the seniors at school were gone.  Most of dd's friends are seniors.  They are a good group of kids ... kind, fun loving, good students, no trouble makers.  Tonight is the graduation ceremony.  She chose skip climbing practice with the blessing of her coach and go to the ceremony with another junior she knows in a similar boat.    Dd has a few acquaintances who are not seniors, but are not close friends.   Over this past year, she saw her senior friends pulling away a bit, doing "senior" things together.  Dd understood it and tried her best not to be hurt by it.  She poured herself into her other activities and became very close with her climbing teammates, but she still talked with her "senior" friends every day at school and occasionally did things with them.  The one who introduced her to these friends has been her friend since she was 9. 

The graduation is supposed to be outside in the stadium.  She knew that she would not have the "family" ticket so she and her friends were going to sit with all the other people who didn't get the family tickets.  And she knew that, in case of rain, she would not be allowed in the indoor venue and would have to be satisfied with watching the graduation streaming on large screens in the cafeteria.  She mainly wanted to go to meet up with her friends afterwards.  Well, the person she was supposed to go with bailed with a stomach virus.  The other person she thought she could join has not gotten back to her.  The ceremony starts in 15 minutes and a thunderstorm is sweeping through.  And she is crying. 

I know that she is processing the changes coming.  That they will all go their separate ways.    She is usually quite self-posessed and doesn't usually make mountains out of molehills.  She is angry with herself for crying when she knows she should be using this time to get other school work done.  She is regretting staying home from climbing.  Doing her best not to be too prickly right now and feeling bad that she is bumming everyone else out.  

Can I go back for a minute to those days where I could just kiss it and make it better? 

I realize now is *not* the time to say this to her, but people do return home to visit, for the summer or to move back to their hometown. Keeping in touch long distance has never been easier with all the social media accounts. I hope her older friends stay in touch with her.

I realize now is *not* the time to say this to her, but people do return home to visit, for the summer or to move back to their hometown. Keeping in touch long distance has never been easier with all the social media accounts. I hope her older friends stay in touch with her.

Yeah, now is probably not the time to say this ;) .  But, I think it is about how their relationships are changing.  She was always included, until she isn't.  This is a journey that happens later for her.  Dd is very savvy at social media and manages to keep in close contact with her climbing team friends with social media despite most of them living an hour or more away.  She'll figure it out.  I just need to let her grieve this change. 

• Like 1

I remember being in a similar boat. All of my friends were always older. It kind of took the gloss off of my senior year. I was just killing time waiting to graduate and move on with college because all of my friends graduated a year ahead of me. Hugs to you both. It's rough.