Menu

Is there anything that has classes that are online, teacher graded but self - paced *and* affordable

So my oldest is off to CC and I'm not needing the rigor of TPS for my younger dd.  She is a different kid and will take a lot of classes at our local co-op...She doesn't desire to sit through long intense live lessons and we are trying to be more frugal with our at-home courses, so we can afford our co-op courses (and other things like horseback riding!)

We will NOT be consistent with mom-graded courses.  When put into the mix with co-op courses, they kept on taking a back burner this year and it was seriously a struggle to make them a priority. Basic American level of education is fine.  Doesn't need to be Classical (that dream died a while ago..)

So I am looking for :

Teacher graded/Auto-Graded

Self Paced

Affordable

Goes through most of high school so we don't have to reinvent the wheel every year

NOT cartoony (aka NOT Time4Learning..)

So far my thoughts are 

Monarch Online (I would have to tweak grades, and monitor but it would work ok)

Acellus?  Does that fit this description?

More ideas appreciated.  Thanks!

• Like 1

mommyoffive-- Yes, but I heard or read somewhere that even at the high school level the people have a gimmicky, unprofessional way of acting, either using slang, slang gestures or even acting like they are other social group than they are, in order to try to be "cool."  I looked at some of the vidoes and was not impressed.  The vidoes have the feel of Brain Pop- lots of action, lots of noise, and lots of pictures...I would be very concerned that my child would learn to be "edutained" and would not make it in college when reading long, long textbooks :)

• Like 2

Yes that was me LOL! Yes it is good for super easy course or super git-er-done but not so much for real learning that you can count on to carry to the future..

LOL!!!! When I was answering on my phone, I thought it was you ! But hard to go back and search, plus the avatars don't always show up on my phone (and that's how I "remember" most people on here ).

Sorry I'm no help. Just starting to research high school stuff my self.

I assume you have looked at the classes on homeschoolbuyersco-op ? I know they have some good online programs that I have my eye on.

• Like 1

Homeschool Connections. It's a Catholic online-class program.

They have "live" classes and then they have recorded classes that are self-paced, but have the option of teacher-grading and feedback. I think for some subjects they even have tutoring attached as an option for the recorded classes? 

Very affordable, imo.

• Like 3

Homeschool Connections. It's a Catholic online-class program.

They have "live" classes and then they have recorded classes that are self-paced, but have the option of teacher-grading and feedback. I think for some subjects they even have tutoring attached as an option for the recorded classes?

Very affordable, imo.

Never heard of this; thanks!

Forgot about Shmoop, thanks!

That's what we're doing for 2 classes. I haven't signed up yet, thought I read somewhere that there is a discount at homeschool coop website. But I need 2 classes on shmoop so that I can claim we did it and that the classes are UC approved. I hope the high school courses are not too difficult for a middle school kid, but I really need them to be UC approved so that the high school won't question them.

• Like 1

That's what we're doing for 2 classes. I haven't signed up yet, thought I read somewhere that there is a discount at homeschool coop website. But I need 2 classes on shmoop so that I can claim we did it and that the classes are UC approved. I hope the high school courses are not too difficult for a middle school kid, but I really need them to be UC approved so that the high school won't question them.

I can't find on the website where shmoop says it grades the work- I guess it does otherwise they couldn't be UC approved. But, is it auto-graded? What about writing and essays?

Warning - Shmoop is only UC approved if you have some kind of cover school that already has an established a-g course list. They are an online publisher, not an accredited school (just like Time4Learning).

Edited by CinV
  • Like 2

Warning - Shmoop is only UC approved if you have some kind of cover school that already has an established a-g course list. They are an online publisher, not an accredited school (just like Time4Learning).

Ah, I remember we had some sort of discussion about this on the HS board.

I did chat with SVHS and they do provide transcripts. I think for my purposes (just to give us a high school option) I don't mind git-er-done courses. I may supplement with writing and outside reading and put that all down on a transcript. I was thinking of social studies and English because that's what the district wants to see. I had to google social studies. 😊

I can't find on the website where shmoop says it grades the work- I guess it does otherwise they couldn't be UC approved. But, is it auto-graded? What about writing and essays?

Some parts are auto graded. For essays, the student submits the work and the teacher grades the work. There are guidelines for the teacher as to what is expected for each essay or free response question.

• Like 1