Menu

TSA and souvenirs

ProudGrandma

I would just try to bring it through and warn the boys that it might not make it. TSA will either toss it or ignore it.

Last time I went through the airport I brought a big, full water bottle on accident and they didn't even notice it. Let's all try not to think too hard about how effective the TSA really is.

• Like 3

I'd send it to myself in the mail. 

Or, I'd check a bag. 

Or, I'd stick it in the carry on and hope for the best, but be willing and ready to cheerfully apologize and let them discard it. (And be prepared for a full body search including a pat down of the genital area, which is very likely to happen if you get busted with it. So, put it in whoever's carryon is ready to risk that.)

• Like 2

Could you divide it into ziploc bags or other small containers? If you put them in different containers but then all of them fit into one quart size bag you should be fine. Each container has to have like 3 ounces or less but you can put as many of those as you want into the allowed quart size baggie. 

For instance, I can't bring a 9 ounce bottle of shampoo but I can bring three three ounce bottles as long as they are all in the quart size bag. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 3

Could you divide it into ziploc bags or other small containers? If you put them in different containers but then all of them fit into one quart size bag you should be fine. Each container has to have like 3 ounces or less but you can put as many of those as you want into the allowed quart size baggie.

For instance, I can't bring a 9 ounce bottle of shampoo but I can bring three three ounce bottles as long as they are all in the quart size bag.

I had a mini yogurt container (from a 6 pack), clearly less than 3 oz but because the size was not on label they tossed it.

I agree it's doubtful it will make it through security.

• Like 1

I had a mini yogurt container (from a 6 pack), clearly less than 3 oz but because the size was not on label they tossed it.

I agree it's doubtful it will make it through security.

Our refillable travel shampoo containers aren't labeled with the capacity and they've never been questioned.  I don't think the rules are uniform. Which makes it super annoying for passengers. 

• Like 2

I would probably put it in the zip bag with the toiletries and hope it got through. Last time we flew I forgot to take the zip bag out of my carry-on (on 3 of 4 legs of our trip) but didn't get flagged for it.

Funny side note: my bag did get flagged for something that looked like a grenade on the screen. Turned out to be a zip bag of loose change. 

• Like 1

Funny side note: my bag did get flagged for something that looked like a grenade on the screen. Turned out to be a zip bag of loose change. 

I had one of those mini M and M containers with quarters and pennies for Disney pressed pennies and the TSA agents scrutinized that thing for 10 minutes! I finally figured out what was puzzling them and told them to open it. Oh. Change. Ok, lady, move along.   It's funny the stuff that triggers their suspicions!

• Like 1

What about filling one carryon with the heaviest stuff you don't need on the flight (extra shoes, guidebooks), along with laundry and the Mars Mud, and checking that one bag? Imagine how free you will feel skipping through the airport unburdened! If they lose the bag, not a big deal, they can deliver it to you at home, surrounded by the extra shoes and clothes you have there that you didn't lug with you. Lost bags rarely stay lost forever.

• Like 2

Well, first, I probably wouldn't have let my kid buy the stuff in that scenario, given that you aren't checking anything.  I would have sent it in  checked bags.

BUT, I don't think shipping would be a reasonable cost here.

SO....what I would do?  I would probably pack it, wrapping it up as best as I could within some clothes.  I am sure however that that rarely helps anything.

So then....I would make the TSA agent tell my crying child why they were confiscating it.  I completely understand that that is the rule.  But I would NOT be the bad guy here.  When they pull it out and say "ma'am, we need to confiscate this" I would call my kid forward, and tell the TSA that the kid bought it so they would need to explain it to the kid.  I would let them deal with the kid's fit.  I mean, I wouldn't be mean or anything, but I would just be matter of fact and not try to keep my kid from throwing a fit over what is basically a lack of common sense.  I wouldn't create a scene.....but I am also not going to try to keep my kid from creating one when the kid's toy is OBVIOUSLY not a security risk. 

If I was choosing to knowingly have my child violate a well known and stated rule, no matter how ridiculous I find the rule, I wouldn't force the TSA agent into a stand-off or unpleasant scene with my child over it. 

To the OP, I've had TSA agents toss an unopened jar of peanut butter I was taking internationally (we couldn't buy peanut butter) when I didn't realize that "liquid" meant "or peanut butter consistency" -- at the same time as they missed/ignored the half-drunk bottle of water in the same bag. 

On the other hand, I've had one scrutinize a can of  Coke that came off Flight A on our way to Flight B (international flight w/a layover in the US), and when I realized what they were looking at and commented it came from our flight, and they saw my over-tired, tantruming preschooler, let me have it (even though clearly a "liquid" in violation of the rules). 

I wouldn't risk knowingly bringing a souvenir back that doesn't meet the guidelines; check one of the bags, or find some other way to get the stuff home. 

• Like 1

Well, as I said....I wouldn't have let my kid buy this in this type of scenario.  So for our family, I would have headed this off before it was an issue..."Sorry DD8, this particular souvenier won't make it through security.  You need to find something else.  How about you buy a bunch postcards from the places we go and when we get home we will make a poster (or pins, or the pics we take, or whatever.)"  So yes, in that sense, I agree.  I wouldn't let my kid buy it knowing that it will violate the rule and create an unpleasant scene. 

But, the OP is past that point. 

Right, me too, but then hiding it in clothes and hoping to sneak it through is not the TSA agents fault or problem to deal with once someone lets it get to that point. 

• Like 2

If you decide to check it, you don't need to use a suitcase.  You can check something in a sturdy box.  If you are flying Southwest or another carrier that doesn't charge for checked bags, that would be an option.  If you're flying an airline that charges, though, you're best off with putting it in the liquids bag.  Remember that each person is entitled to a liquids bag of their own, so no need to mix it with other things if you don't have too many toiletries.

• Like 1

If it is in a carry-on, I would not try to camouflage it.  They will see it on the scanner image. I would have it at the top, so if they want to see what it is, it is readily accessible.  If they make you toss it, lesson learned. BTDT.   Things that one might think would not be OK, are (sometimes) no problem. We were concerned about 1 or 2 things (Harry Potter and/or Star Wars) DD bought in Orlando, but the airline let her take them in the cabin. They were a non-issue.  On the other hand, the large can of shaving cream I had in my carry-on, TSA spotted that in the scanner and I had to place that into the trash. Have a safe trip home!

ETA: They sometimes open checked luggage, but I believe the rules about what can go into checked luggage are much more flexible.  We had one checked suitcase which was stuffed with almost everything we bought in Orlando. After we got to the baggage claim in Colombia, when I saw the (hard-sided) suitcase, there was a large quantity of TSA Tape holding it closed. They had opened it, to inspect the contents, which probably looked strange on the scanner. It is an old suitcase that does not have TSA Locks, so they broke a lock to get into it.   As far as we know, everything we bought was inside the bag when we opened it at home. Possibly that was because of our destination country also... I learned a lesson from that and in the future will either attach the key to the suitcase or not lock a suitcase and close it with 2 of those Baggage Straps and hope for the best...

ETA #2: If it is a soft-sided piece of checked luggage, with a Zipper and "Lock", those can be opened (by thieves or TSA) in 1 or 2 seconds.  When we were waiting for the Avianca ticket counter in Orlando to open, an airline employee (not sure which airline) who was on his break, showed us a video on his phone. I think they use a key or credit card or something. That was May 1, 2016;  and I cannot remember what was used to open the bag in the video, but it was something incredibly common and legal.  You would not believe how fast those zippers  on bags can be opened and then closed and would never know the bag had been opened in that manner...

Edited by Lanny