Menu

Leg makeup / spray tan?

marbel

Wedding coming up later this month, in Georgia.  I'm wearing a just-above-the knew length dress and sandals; not wearing hose.  

My legs are white and have some spots of varicose veins.  

What's the best product for giving a little color/coverage?  I doubt I want anything thick/dark enough to hide the veins completely. But I'm thinking toning down the blinding whiteness of my legs will help de-emphasize them a bit.

• Like 1

I'd probably go to one of those places that does the spray tan for you. You can choose how much coverage you want. It's not expensive. Around here, it's around $30-$50, depending on how dark you want to go.

• Like 2

I recently went to a local spray tan place and got the lightest tan they offer when I needed to dress up and knew pictures were going to be taken. It lasted about a week and although I was darker than I was used to (I'm very pale!), my sister said it looked like I had just been on vacation all week. It was about $30, too much to do regularly, but fine for a one time event. It looked much better than the couple times I've tried to use self tanner, and didn't have the same weird smell.

• Like 3

If you don't do a pro spray tan and you have time to practice, I've found Fake Bake (imo) to be the best self tanner. Make sure you exfoliate first. You can build layer upon layer over a few days to get to the shade you want. The smell is less obnoxious than some of the other brands and it develops fairly fast, which helps "fix" and mistakes you make. It does take practice though. I wouldn't try it the week of for the first time.

I have never heard of professional spray tan! I will have to look for that!

The wedding is next Saturday. Whoops. Seems like maybe I am a little late on this.

Thank you!

A lot of tanning salons offer them, just call and ask. They may have a first time rate.

• Like 1

I like the Sally Hansen leg makeup (the cream not the spray) for covering up things like the scar from my biopsied mole. Spray doesn't give me enough coverage unless I go really heavy and then it just looks terrible since I'm so fair complexioned. I'm looking for coverage rather than trying to look tanned. The Sally Hansen leg makeup comes in a light enough shade to blend in.

• Like 3

My dancer uses Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs--it is a makeup product not a tanner, goes on beautifully. We spray hair spray over the top to help prevent rubbing off. Quite of few of her Irish dancing friends prefer this product to the tanner products.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Oh, and it is quite spendy on Amazon right now for some reason, but I had great success with St. Tropez bronzing mousse.  I only used it once for a wedding I had to go to in April after a long, cold winter but it was pretty easy to do and looked good for awhile.  No streaks or weird spots.

• Like 1

Does it stay put?  I tried the spray on Sally Hansen and it rubbed off on my clothes.  I didn't want to get it on someone's furniture or my clothes so I quit using it.  I didn't know they have a cream.

The leg makeup cream is similar to cream foundation for one's face. So you want to "set" it with face powder just like you'd set your foundation. After that, I haven't had any major issues with it rubbing off.

Is it outdoor?  Depending on where you'll be, it's as likely to be hot and humid as cool and stormy.  I'd keep an eye on the weather if it's outdoor and if what you use is likely to be affected by water.  Sorry to toss a wrench in the works, but worth mentioning.  Hope it's a fun event, though!  Congrats to the couple.

Yes, check the weather reports. It felt like summer had already started, but today it's only 53F and rainy in my area--northwest metro ATL. Next weekend is expected to be in the low to mid-70s, possible rain. Who knows--it's spring in GA!

• Like 2

I just got my first spray tan today and it was awesome.  Pretty quick and easy, and it isn't supposed to rub off on clothes or furniture.  They sell some special products to help it last longer and fade more evenly.  

I will be doing this again for a wedding in August!

• Like 1

I like the Sally Hansen leg makeup (the cream not the spray) for covering up things like the scar from my biopsied mole. Spray doesn't give me enough coverage unless I go really heavy and then it just looks terrible since I'm so fair complexioned. I'm looking for coverage rather than trying to look tanned. The Sally Hansen leg makeup comes in a light enough shade to blend in.

Exactly this, and cream not spray. I've never used powder though.  I don't put on my clothes until after a few minutes and it hasn't been a problem.

No matter how much I exfoliate, etc, I have trouble getting self tanners to look even. Maybe because I'm fish-belly white? Even two different spray tans, eek.   Sally Hansen is the easiest and most reliable.  Don't go too heavy though, or it will look like makeup.  

The one self tanner I had some success with is this one from Walmart.  I bought a tanning mit to apply.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LA-Tan-Sunless-Mousse-Medium-7-fl-oz/43002398?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227030789343&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=53412265472&wl4=pla-111824286272&wl5=9029007&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_multichannel&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=43002398&wl13=&veh=sem

The mousse really seems to work better than other types for me.

Exactly this, and cream not spray. I've never used powder though. I don't put on my clothes until after a few minutes and it hasn't been a problem.

No matter how much I exfoliate, etc, I have trouble getting self tanners to look even. Maybe because I'm fish-belly white? Even two different spray tans, eek. Sally Hansen is the easiest and most reliable. Don't go too heavy though, or it will look like makeup.

The one self tanner I had some success with is this one from Walmart. I bought a tanning mit to apply.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LA-Tan-Sunless-Mousse-Medium-7-fl-oz/43002398?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227030789343&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=53412265472&wl4=pla-111824286272&wl5=9029007&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_multichannel&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=43002398&wl13=&veh=sem

The mousse really seems to work better than other types for me.

Yes- A mitt is a must for properly applying self tanner! Don't try it without. its much harder to be even!