Menu

what have you done in this situation?

ProudGrandma

I bought some used books from a gal (not from WTM)....she sent them media.  (the set was about $40).  But that was about 3 weeks ago.  Because they are media, the tracking doesn't say where they are...just that they are "out there" somewhere.   

How long do you give it before you decide that they are just not coming???  I do not think it's a deal of wrong doing on the seller's side...she has offered to refund my money.   

But I just am not sure how to handle things now.  

I have NEVER had this happen and I have bought and sold many used things...and sent them media.

what would you do?

I think media mail says two weeks, but those may be business days, so 14 days not counting sat/sun? Also, there may be a bit of "gosh I let another day go by without making it to the post office" since it was purchase from an individual.

If I were you I'd email the seller and politely say you haven't received them yet, and ask what day they were mailed so you will know better when to expect them.

• Like 1

Usually when I order from a company and they send it media mail I get the books within a week to two.  It seems when media mail comes from an individual it takes at least 3 weeks.  I have to assume that they like me take a couple days (sometimes more) to get it to the P.O. then the local P.O. is often slow to get it to the bigger distribution hubs (whereas companies are more likely to be in those distribution hubs already).  So I'd wait another week, unless you have to file a claim in a particular amount of time.

I have official information as to when it was mailed...and I am not really in a big hurry.  I told the gal (she has sincerely been so kind and polite about the whole thing) that unless I find another used set, I am not in a big hurry.  I won't buy new until closer to the school year....next fall. 

So I will be patient a bit longer.  

• Like 2

Just to let her know you are on top of this, I would contact her and let her know you haven't received them. Perhaps ask her for a copy of her post office receipt and/or ask her the specific day she mailed them so you can inquire with the post office.

I received an item once from a seller that was far from what she advertised. I was persistant and she eventually refunded me. I think she was waiting for me to give up.

I would give it another week. If you don't have them by then, ask her to refund the $ - how nice, and unusual that she has offered! Then, in another month, when it finally shows up, you can send her the money back. I've had this happen buying from Amazon sellers before, except that it was a business and they specifically told me to keep it if it shows up.

that is actually what we sort of talked about.  But instead of passing money back and forth, I decided to wait until either the books show up or I find another used set.  If I do find a used set AND then later they show I will send them back to her.  But I really hope that doesn't happen.

It could be she got one number in your zip code wrong or something like that.  That has happened to us, and the package was returned to sender.  I bet it will turn up eventually, either at your address or hers.  Did she put her return address on the package, do you know?