Menu

Can you PLEASE recommend a history program for us?

Meadowlark

1st, we're Catholic so nothing anti-Catholic.

2nd, I'm having a hard time getting the other subjects in, so it really REALLY needs to be fairly open and go. Plus, I'm expecting a baby in late July.

3rd, it cannot cost a ton. I'm wasted too much $ in the past for things that have not gotten done, and I won't do it again.

4th, not interested in SOTW, Veritas self-paced (did that), Tapestry (looks crazy complicated) or anything else that is Protestant slant or just too complicated. Connecting with History is Catholic but requires a bunch of books and not much direction.

5th, my 4th and 5th grade boys need to do it together, or at least use the same materials.

Can anyone help? There has got to be something I haven't thought of yet, right? I'm open to textbooks if really well done. I need serious open and go-or it won't get done. At least I've figured that much out. Thanks!

• Like 1

What about something from Catholic Heritage Company? Since your children are so close in age, they could both do the same level of whatever looks more interesting to you.

Fourth Grade

https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6_194&products_id=4182

Fifth Grade

https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/HistoryAndGeography/TextsAndPrograms/FromSeatoShiningSeaTheStoryofAmerica/product_info.html

I have not used these, but am currently considering other CHC products for next year and like the look of their products.

Edited by insertcreativenamehere

How about a year of studying biographies? The Who Was? Series is a great place to start. If you have the time, throw in some notebooking, a craft, art project, or lapbook. Spend some time getting to know the people who made our history. This year, we never followed much of a plan for history because life has just been super busy and challenging. (We moved twice last year). However, we've managed to learn a ton by reading biographies and the "If you were there when..." series. We either shopped at the library or Amazon each month for 1-2 books that seemed interesting. It's worked surprisingly well!

• Like 1

Human Odyssey Volume 1 with some books from the library to supplement??  Possibly the Oxford University Press World in Ancient Times books if you are lucky enough to have a library that carries them??

We did HO Vol 1 with my 5th and 4th grader this year (plus the OUP books, but I bought them)

HO should be cheap used on Amazon. It's currently about $7.39 plus shipping but I think I bought it for less. You could try booksprice.com and see if it is sold for less elsewhere.

• Like 1

What about something from Catholic Heritage Company? Since your children are so close in age, they could both do the same level of whatever looks more interesting to you.

Fourth Grade

https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6_194&products_id=4182

Fifth Grade

https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/HistoryAndGeography/TextsAndPrograms/FromSeatoShiningSeaTheStoryofAmerica/product_info.html

I have not used these, but am currently considering other CHC products for next year and like the look of their products.

Interestingly, I have looked at both of these. The text from CTP (Sea to Shining Sea) looks very advanced to me. I have a very high reader, and it even intimidated me for him. It 's just very very detailed and for grades 5-8, so I'm not sure I want to throw him in there. As for the other text, it's a possibility. I feel like all we've done is American history, and I was hoping for something that we could continue onward with to cover other time periods. Basically, I've really screwed up history. But I will keep looking at the 4th grade one-it's a possibility. Thanks!

I'm Catholic too. Are they interested in any period in particular? As in if you provide materials they could proceed? Or have they done state history? There might be stuff out there on your state that could be open and go. Or maybe they focus on

Geography this year until you get things sorted with new baby. Seterra has lots of maps you can bookmark, and maybe you provide other things too.

How about a year of studying biographies? The Who Was? Series is a great place to start. If you have the time, throw in some notebooking, a craft, art project, or lapbook. Spend some time getting to know the people who made our history. This year, we never followed much of a plan for history because life has just been super busy and challenging. (We moved twice last year). However, we've managed to learn a ton by reading biographies and the "If you were there when..." series. We either shopped at the library or Amazon each month for 1-2 books that seemed interesting. It's worked surprisingly well!

Again, so ironic! I impulse bought about 50 of those books on Amazon a few months ago when they were $2. Because I had a horrible first trimester, my kids just read from these books. Actually, they still are. We scraped our current history program for that-I just knew they had to be exposed to something and those books are awesome. Probably can't do it for another year though ;-)

• Like 1

I'm Catholic too. Are they interested in any period in particular? As in if you provide materials they could proceed? Or have they done state history? There might be stuff out there on your state that could be open and go. Or maybe they focus on

Geography this year until you get things sorted with new baby. Seterra has lots of maps you can bookmark, and maybe you provide other things too.

My 2nd son is very interested in wars, WW1 and 2 in particular. I bought a very expensive history program this year that ended up being a total bust. Then I got pregnant and could barely keep up with the basics, so history fell to the wayside. We left off at the Civil War reconstruction. The 4th grade text from CHC does look promising, but I'm still checking to see what else is out there. Like I said, it does NOT have to be Catholic, just not anti-Catholic. I'm open to anything online either. I don't want to be totally disengaged, but also can't be super teacher intensive either.

Tan released story of civilization ancients last year. https://www.tanhomeschool.com/store/the-story-of-civilization-vol-1-the-ancient-world.html. I would guess they'd release the next volume soon, but you could email to check.

I am pretty sure I got something from homeschool connections about elementary courses coming soon.

Fwiw, I have not been able to find something for the upper grammar level modern times. However, usborne and dk books have served us well. I doubt you will have any trouble with randomly chosen library books for that period.

I read the OUP ancient near eastern world due to the many accolades the series gets on these boards. I found that I was a bit irritated toward the end. Most of the book talked about myths being passed down by word of mouth over many years, but suddenly when it got to the Hebrew the myths were "made up." It struck me as unfair from a secular publisher. I don't expect a Christian viewpoint, but seriously, why didn't the sumerians "make it up?"

Edited by Syllieann

Have you looked at the offerings from OLVS.com?

You can go to the bookstore to see samples:

We used this with success for grade 4: "How Our Nation Began" - (I have it to sell as well for $8 if you want). http://www.olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl.aspx?InvId=10420&GrdId=&InvCatId=

It comes with a handy workbook: http://www.olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl.aspx?InvId=10607&GrdId=&InvCatId=

Or "Before Our Nation Began" http://www.olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl.aspx?InvId=19090&GrdId=&InvCatId=

and it's workbook: http://www.olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl.aspx?InvId=19122&GrdId=&InvCatId=

Or "My World of Neighbors" - we used this successfully in 4-5th grade. They also have a workbook for this.

https://olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl.aspx?InvId=10024&GrdId=&InvCatId=

https://olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl.aspx?InvId=14152&GrdId=&InvCatId=

All the best!

Edited by bluebonnetgirl

How about BiblioPlan? For 5th and 4th you could use Remember the Days as your spine and then add whatever you'd like as far as maps, written questions etc. They have those in ebook form as well as print so if you want to save money you can buy just one ebook and print for both kids. The Family guide gives lots of literature options but you don't have to use them or you can - whatever fits your budget, or library, or interest level. The author is Protestant but it is very even handed. I know it is used by many Catholics

Those ages are perfect for Sonlight (Bookshark is the secular equivalent). You could just buy the books and read them on the couch. Even when we bought the Instructor Guides, we ended up just reading on the couch.

Another even easier plan would be History at Our House. My kids enjoyed Mr. Powell and I liked listening in while I was cooking.

If you ever do want to go with the Catholic Textbook Project, I have a set for sale...but I agree they are better for ~6th or 7th.

I would not do straight Sonlight. Bookshark may be fine, but I remember some stuff that painted Catholics as non-Christians in some of the mission books, especially.

I should have added, there is a yahoo group for Catholics using Sonlight. They have recommendations for substitutions of certain books.

A Childs History of the World? Not sure if it is anti catholic.

I haven't been through it thoroughly, as I have not yet used it to replace a few chapters in SOTW, but fwiw, Kimberly Hahn (Scott Hahn's wife) recommended it in her book on Catholic homeschooling.

We are also Catholic and concerned about many of the same things. We couldn't handle SOTW, so I switched us to The Human Odyssey by k12 (bought used on Amazon). It was MUCH better for us. I am also pregnant (due in August) and have three children, and I really can't do a lot of extra, but we felt that the book itself was engaging enough that we didn't need anything else. My plan was simply to read about five pages aloud and then ask a few questions (whatever I felt were the main points) and then let her dictate or write out the answers in her notebook. I always let her draw on her whiteboard while she listens since this helps her listen better :). Every now and then we'd grab some complimentary books from the library, but not often. We liked having real pictures instead of sparse drawings, and the text was engaging. I felt that it handled church history really well- it was certainly not Anti-Catholic, and it taught about Jesus, the apostles, saints, and even monks factually and favorably. I did skip some parts that I knew we could cover in our reading of the New Testament better than in the history book. Since I haven't come across anything that I like better, we'll be moving on to the next volume this year. I will say that it's intended for 8th graders, so I read aloud with the goal of adapting a bit more to her level as I go.  I hope this helps!