Menu

Grammar curriculum help for next year 6th grader

Mom28kds

I'm looking for some grammar ideas to do next year for my next year 6th grader. I'm currently using CLE 400 (which I like) but wonder if CLE 500 will to be too much for my DD next year. I currently have a child using the 500 books and I know how detailed they are. I think I need something that is spiral but not as many problems because I think alot of problems would be overwhelming for her. My son who will be in 5th could handle it but she struggles this year so I'm pretty sure next year could be pretty rough and set her up for failure if I continue with CLE. There is so much curriculum knowledge on here that I thought I'd see what good options there are so I could do further research. 

Current grades: 4th, 5th, 6th 

Edited by Mom28kds

I used CLE for many years and found it to be too much at times for my ds, so I understand. It is very good, though, and I'm glad I didn't abandon it early. He needed a change, and I'm trying BJU 9th grade grammar now.

When I used it, I didn't use the penmanship part. I only used the spelling vocabulary and alphabetical exercises and didn't do spelling tests. I would mark off a few grammar things each lesson if I knew he had mastered them. I looked ahead and quizzes and tests and made sure each set of lessons before those I had him doing enough to cover what was on those. 

If you want to look at something else, I've been curious about this program but never tried it. I don't know how spiral the exercises are; however, the description is that it builds on itself. 

Description and samples of all 3

Sold at Rainbow Resource, too. 

Analytical Grammar might be good, too. Our co-op has used one of the writing curriculum sets this year and plans to use two others next year. We don't do grammar there, though. 

• Like 1

I used CLE for many years and found it to be too much at times for my ds, so I understand. It is very good, though, and I'm glad I didn't abandon it early. He needed a change, and I'm trying BJU 9th grade grammar now.

When I used it, I didn't use the penmanship part. I only used the spelling vocabulary and alphabetical exercises and didn't do spelling tests. I would mark off a few grammar things each lesson if I knew he had mastered them. I looked ahead and quizzes and tests and made sure each set of lessons before those I had him doing enough to cover what was on those. 

If you want to look at something else, I've been curious about this program but never tried it. I don't know how spiral the exercises are; however, the description is that it builds on itself. 

Description and samples of all 3

Sold at Rainbow Resource, too. 

Analytical Grammar might be good, too. Our co-op has used one of the writing curriculum sets this year and plans to use two others next year. We don't do grammar there, though. 

Thanks! I'm looking further into the Analytical Grammar :)

• Like 1

I'm looking for some grammar ideas to do next year for my next year 6th grader. I'm currently using CLE 400 (which I like) but wonder if CLE 500 will to be too much for my DD next year. I currently have a child using the 500 books and I know how detailed they are. I think I need something that is spiral but not as many problems because I think alot of problems would be overwhelming for her. My son who will be in 5th could handle it but she struggles this year so I'm pretty sure next year could be pretty rough and set her up for failure if I continue with CLE. There is so much curriculum knowledge on here that I thought I'd see what good options there are so I could do further research. 

Current grades: 4th, 5th, 6th 

If you don't have to have diagramming, and if you have something else for writing, you might like Easy Grammar.

• Like 1

OK I just checked. 500 isn't the new edition yet. Perhaps give them a call to see if the new edition will be ready when you need it? It is better to just stick with what works than to jump ship.

I have a rising 4th and 6th grader, and grammar/writing is the one subject I can't place for next year. I'm torn between Hake Grammar & Writing, Analytical Grammar (JAG probably), Essentials in Writing, or Treasured Conversations.

I've been going back and forth for weeks...

I was looking at EIW also. I do like the option of video DVD if needed for both programs. JAG seems to get better reviews on this board though. I'm keeping my options open though for sure as I research the recommendations :)

Edited by Mom28kds

We are die hard Analytical Grammar fans here. :)

We use it as written, separated into 3 seasons using 1 season for each year 6th - 8th. The first two seasons can be challenging, but since they are only for a few weeks each, we don't get overwhelmed or bogged down. The review and reinforcement books keep skills sharp in between seasons. Highly recommend!

• Like 1

I have a rising 4th and 6th grader, and grammar/writing is the one subject I can't place for next year. I'm torn between Hake Grammar & Writing, Analytical Grammar (JAG probably), Essentials in Writing, or Treasured Conversations.

I've been thinking about possibly getting FLL for my rising 4th grader, and JAG for the 6th grader. Right now they're both using CLE.

• Like 1

We use it as written, separated into 3 seasons using 1 season for each year 6th - 8th. The first two seasons can be challenging, but since they are only for a few weeks each, we don't get overwhelmed or bogged down. The review and reinforcement books keep skills sharp in between seasons. Highly recommend!

Thank you for sharing this! 😊

• Like 1

SWB has confirmed that ALL will be available this coming school year. ðŸ˜

This is what I'm waiting for!

We tried Hake this past year and didn't love it.

We've tried Fix It in the past but it sometimes felt like it jumped around or something. I'm not sure. We didn't love it either.

I like the looks of JAG but I've never been clear on exactly what to purchase and how long it will take us to cover the material.

I'm hoping that ALL is what we're looking for.

Have you used JAG? My 4th and 5th graders are doing the same levels this year and I plan to keep them together.

Have you used JAG? My 4th and 5th graders are doing the same levels this year and I plan to keep them together.

No, no JAG. We do FLL 3 and 4 slowly over 3 years (3rd-5th) every other week interspersed with writing, and then head straight into AG in 6th. So far that's been plenty of grammar for us. 😊

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Curious as to why you are changing from CLE also.

I LOVE using CLE Language Arts, but my kids have been through the revised 2nd Edition Sunrise levels, and I'm not wild about the format of the older editions, so we're looking for something else. CLE is VERY good, though!! ;)

I was just looking at programs and I realized that JAG is grammar only. I decided that EIW might be a better fit for me because I want more than grammar (and the DVD is a bonus). Just thought I'd throw that out there in case it helped you :) Still not ready to buy but I'm leaning that way for sure.

CLE grammar is pretty intense. I made the decision this year to use CLE, but to let one year's worth take us two years to complete. This means we only do grammar twice a week. This has helped my son to learn things, interestingly enough. It's because even though there's longer time between lessons, there are fewer lessons to stuff into his head.

Also, as he goes through the book, I stop and check his answers after every 4 or 5 problems--you know how the different types of problems are grouped together with 4 or 5 for each type? We stop and discuss a lot through the entire lesson. I used to teach him the new lesson and send him off to work on the review alone, but then half of them were wrong. But when we pause and do them little by little, with immediate feedback, the information sinks in better.

I'm thinking that next year I might not have him to grammar twice a week. We might do it 4 times a week, but do only 1/2 a lesson each time. We'll see how his schedule looks.

• Like 1