Menu

Otterbox Defender? Or another case for iPhone 5 s

Ginevra

Experience/opinions needed. I'm getting DD a new (refurbished) iPhone 5s for her birthday. She needs a new case as well.she had a Lifeproof, but it cracked. Her screen is also cracked. She doesn't want another LP.

I would like to get an Otterbox, but I'm a little confused on what is available. Ideally, I wanted a clear back and a screen protector all in one unit. I bought the gold phone because she likes the gold color but that seems dopey if I'm going to put it in a solid colored case. I also wanted something that is waterproof as well as screen protective, since the entire reason we got the LP case was because she dropped her phone in the toilet. Some of the Otterboxes have a case, but no screen protector, which makes no sense to me. The screens are vulnerable from minute one. Her screen cracked because it got a hairline crack before she had the LP case, and the crack spread in subsequent incidents.

Sorry for the dissertation. I would like to order something today so it will be here by this weekend. Thanks.

I always get an Otterbox when I get a new phone. I've never had a clear one. We always add a screen protector, but I'm sure the whole thing is not water proof.

I drop my phone a lot--that's the protection I needed. Water protection would be nice, but I don't know if it's available.

Good luck with your search

• Like 2

Any of the really protective cases are going to cover the color of the back of the phone.

My son had an Otterbox Defender but he fiddles with things so much, he picked away at/ruined the silicone wrapper that goes over the back and side of the hard interlocking plastic cover. We've had more success with the Otterbox Commuter- smaller profile, fits in and out of his pocket better and no silicone to rip at. There is a screen protector with it, but it's not as protective as the Defender or the Lifeproof cases.

• Like 4

The Defender has the screen cover and protective nature, but it's not waterproof. The Lifeproof cases claim to be, but they get mixed reviews. I have never seen a clear-backed protective cover. The inside layer is a hard plastic shell and outside layer is silicone. I've only broken one iPhone screen, and it was the one time I had a non-Defender case. It was a Speck something.

• Like 1

I have a SE (same size as a 5) and use a Speck case. I wanted something that would protect the phone without adding a ton of bulk (the whole reason I went with the SE is because I wanted something that would fit in my pocket). The Speck was the least bulky-but-still-good case I could find.

• Like 1

The rubbery/soft part of my Otterbox started peeling within a few months under normal use, so I was not impressed even though we've had better results with Otterboxes on other devices. I've been pretty happy with my Candyshell Speck case on my 5s. I have this one but got it cheaper on eBay. Not familiar with any waterproof ones, but it seems easy enough to avoid another toilet incident, especially since she's already learned that lesson from experience.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

We've got Spigen cases on our iPhones and I like them a lot. Our phones get dropped all the time and we've never had any damage.

Loved my Spigen case for my iphone 5s! I dropped that thing all the time and it never had even a scratch. The one I had wasn't waterproof (although I did drop my phone in the pool and it was fine). 

I now have a lifeproof case for my phone and I love it. 

• Like 2

I used a Defender for over two years on an iPhone 5 and then a 5s. It held up very well. The only issue I had with it was getting small "oil slick" looking things under the screen protector. I don't know what caused it, but if I dismantled it and cleaned everything the "oil slick" would go away. I needed to clean it every few months, so it was't a huge deal. But I finally got tired of it and cut away the screen protector part. The case worked fine (even better IMO) w/o it.

For my iPhone 6 I wanted something a bit lighter/slimmer profile. I debated between the Spigen and an Otterbox Commuter and ended up going with the Commuter just because that's what the boys have always used and (knock wood) their phones have withstood a lot of abuse w/o a problem. But I did like the Spigen. I'm not particularly concerned with screen protection--iPhone screens are pretty darn durable and not something we've ever had a problem with.

But I'm not sure any of the Otterbox cases are clear?

I've really, really wanted to like the Speck cases. They're cute. I've bought two of them and returned them within a day or two. They just don't compare to the Otterboxes (or to the Spigen I considered). They're much more difficult for me to hold--just not as "grippy" plus my main priority is protection. They do win in the cute category!

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I used to use otterboxes but they peel too easily. They're also bulky. I switched to a Unicorn Beetle. They're the best cases I've ever used! I get them on Amazon. They're a great price and protect very well. I drop my iPhone 7 all the time. We now have about 5 that are used in our house and many of my friends and family switched to them as well.

I was very impressed with the pristine condition of my DS's phone after being encased in an Otterbox Defender for over a year.   I had to take the entire thing apart recently to switch out the SIM card, and the phone itself looked brand new (also a iPhone 5s....hand-me-down, so it was 3+ years old).   DS is not very gentle with his phone - it gets thrown in a bag for track practice, thrown in a backpack, dropped, or stuffed into his athletic shorts pockets.

The Defender case is not waterproof.

I've also been very pleased with my own Otterbox Symmetry case.   I use that together with a tempered glass screen protector from Maxboost.   I've had no issues, but I am generally more gentle with my phone.

My daughters have destroyed three Otterbox defenders.  One died after being stepped on by high heel shoes, the other two died after being dropped on concrete.  Two were replaced under the otterbox warranty (apparently it doesn't cover "death by shoe").

These days, they are using Speck cases.  No Speck cases have died so far, which is hopeful.

Speck Clear case for 5s - military grade protection

http://www.speckproducts.com/apple/iphone-cases/iphone-5s-cases.html#prefn1=productExtras1&prefn2=productExtras2&prefv1=Clear%20Case&prefv2=Military%20Grade%20Protection

I use a ballistic glass cover that sticks on - made by Tech Armor

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Armor-2-Way-Privacy-Ballistic/dp/B00LMU5K20

but I think Speck sells something similiar called a FacePlate.

• Like 1

I've really, really wanted to like the Speck cases. They're cute. I've bought two of them and returned them within a day or two. They just don't compare to the Otterboxes (or to the Spigen I considered). They're much more difficult for me to hold--just not as "grippy" plus my main priority is protection. They do win in the cute category!

I disagree that they aren't cute and protective. My iPhone has been hurled to the blacktop face down before in a Speck case with no damage. 

• Like 1

It appears to be a total craps shoot. 😬. My own phone is in a Lifeproof and it is in perfect condition. My DH's phone is in an Otterbox and he works construction and has had no failures from Otterbox. My DS17 is walking around with his iPhone 6 totally naked and it is fine (so far - this worries me everytime I see it, but it's not my circus if it breaks). DS12 has an ipod in a LP. So...I just don't know. I like the "glitter gold" Speck. Their little marketing video certainly does make it seem like dropping is not an issue. But the water thing does make me nervous; DD goes to a waterfront college. Sitting on the pier is a thing. Even throwing a student in the pond is a thing, though it hasn't happened to DD (yet).

Maybe i'll just draw a brand name out of a hat and go with it.

I used to use otterboxes but they peel too easily. They're also bulky. I switched to a Unicorn Beetle. They're the best cases I've ever used! I get them on Amazon. They're a great price and protect very well. I drop my iPhone 7 all the time. We now have about 5 that are used in our house and many of my friends and family switched to them as well.

With such an awesome name, one would think they'd be cuter! :)

• Like 2

Dropping a phone off the end of a pier, I wouldn't expect it to survive no matter what case it was in.

We put DD's and mine in LP's. DD's last phone had a pink protective cover. I'm not sure of the brand, but she liked that it was also decorative. However, that phone didn't last long enough so now she's stuck with LP whether she likes it or not.

• Like 1

Dropping a phone off the end of a pier, I wouldn't expect it to survive no matter what case it was in.

We put DD's and mine in LP's. DD's last phone had a pink protective cover. I'm not sure of the brand, but she liked that it was also decorative. However, that phone didn't last long enough so now she's stuck with LP whether she likes it or not.

I have a pouch for my phone that floats and is waterproof, but it's not a sub for a case that protects against impact. I use it when I have my phone out at the pool. https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Tag-Dark-Floating-Waterproof-Universal/dp/B01DS8AESI/

• Like 3

I have a pouch for my phone that floats and is waterproof, but it's not a sub for a case that protects against impact. I use it when I have my phone out at the pool. https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Tag-Dark-Floating-Waterproof-Universal/dp/B01DS8AESI/

This is one thing I'm getting. I'm getting a Speck with the ballistic glass cover thing. I don't know if this is ideal, but it is what it is at this point!