Menu

Women's Reading Materials in Hair Salons (yes, this thread belongs here!)

So, I took DSD17 to the hair salon the other day.  She was shocked by the lack of variety in the reading material - magazines filled with celebrities or fashion etc.  She wants to do a study of some sort to see what women would read if given the chance.  She'd like to supply salons with newspapers (both conservative and liberal), books filled with feminist essays etc.  She thought she could develop a short questionnaire for women to fill out.

So - what do you think of the idea?  Any thoughts on how I can help her carry this out?

Thank you!

She wants to leave some Mary Wollstonecraft, but I'm thinking it is not accessible enough to the average person.

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 6

She was shocked by the lack of variety in the reading material - magazines filled with celebrities or fashion etc.

Those magazines are likely for customers to browse for haircut suggestions rather than actual reading. I bring my kindle to read ebooks if I know I will be waiting in a hair salon. I cut my own hair usually but when I do get a haircut, I'll likely be reading BBC news and Forbes news on my phone.

My family dentist and the pediatrician, urgent care clinics we go to have a nice variety of magazines.

They have:

Family,

Parenting,

Condé Nast

Martha Stewart

National Geographic

Highlights magazine for kids

Donated by people (address cut out or blacken out with marker) :

Scientific American

New Scientist

New Yorker

Wired

• Like 5

Thank you all!

I probably should have made it clear that her focus is on adding informative and women-empowering material. "Intelligent" reading.

Love the idea of domestic abuse pamphlets.

I like the New Yorker and Scientific American ideas. DS told me that Teen Vogue has been "killing it" lately with Social Justice issue etc.

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 4

I think those types of reading materials are meant for short, quick, easy browsing and not so much for intellectual stimulation. I mean, I'm in the waiting room at a salon for about ten minutes until my turn, likely after a rough run getting out of the house. I can't see me getting deeply into an intellectual tome under those circumstances, know what I mean?

Honestly: if I am waiting at the hair salon or at the doctor's office, I don't care to read empowering feminist literature. I feel plenty empowered. 
This is the only time I get to read trashy magazines I would never spend a dime on, and I happily spend my ten or so minutes reading Good Housekeeping at the dentist twice a year.

If I want intellectual stimulation, I find larger consecutive chunks of time to read. I don't think heavy literature is suitable to fill these few minutes.

FWIW, I have a graduate degree and am politically liberal.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 15

Hmmm...interesting.  I am usually waiting for 45 mins at a time when I get my grays colored.  I never reach for those magazines; I bring my kindle.  I would love a newspaper to read, though.   Or I would pick up a book filled with vignettes.  Or a magazine that is NOT about celebriities or fashion.  Just not my thing at all.  Not even for a minute or two.

• Like 1

It seems to me women already read what they want to, as they have access to a variety of materials thru the public library and book stores as well as online sources. Myself, I read the New York Magazine while at the salon, since its there and that's one less trip to the library to pick up ILL.

I suspect cost is the deciding factor. One orthodontist I went to had a great range of magazines over all kind of subjects which made me wonder how much he was making? I think that magazine subscription is something they have to do so they just go cheap and get trash. Truthfully because the environment is distracting and you don't want to miss being called I don't want anything too deep anyway.

Honestly I rarely see anyone touch the magazines in salons or doctors offices anymore, unless they're old people without smart phones. Everyone else is on their phone where they can access whatever they feel like reading. I don't think she would get much of a useful sample size.

Honestly I rarely see anyone touch the magazines in salons or doctors offices anymore, unless they're old people without smart phones. Everyone else is on their phone where they can access whatever they feel like reading. I don't think she would get much of a useful sample size.

Same here. The salon I go to has a pretty good selection of magazines (news, fashion, sports), but I never see anyone reading them.

• Like 1

Honestly: if I am waiting at the hair salon or at the doctor's office, I don't care to read empowering feminist literature. I feel plenty empowered. 

This is the only time I get to read trashy magazines I would never spend a dime on, and I happily spend my ten or so minutes reading Good Housekeeping at the dentist twice a year.

If I want intellectual stimulation, I find larger consecutive chunks of time to read. I don't think heavy literature is suitable to fill these few minutes.

LOL. I'm a conservative feminist, and I feel the same way. I usually carry a book with me, but sometimes I read what is there.

My salon carries two newspapers, National Geographic, and several outdoor magazines that I like. So not all women's magazines.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

I am so glad I touched base here!  I will pass along your thoughts to dd.  Her mind is consumed by women's issues and racial issues lately.  It is the filter through which she sees the world - a budding, wanna be activist.  She is just looking for something to do with her energy!

Thanks again.  :)

• Like 4

Funny, I nicely complained about this at my salon - a small two person salon in one of those buildings of individual salons.  All of the magazines were People magazine type.  I did notice she started getting Good Housekeeping. (Btw, anyone look at that magazine lately? Not what it was 20 years ago - almost all ads, many thinly disguised by GH as buying guides or informational articles featuring products.  But I digress...)

I would love to see a variety such as Arcadia listed.  I really don't like reading my smart phone there - I like flipping through a magazine while under the dryer! 

She should also remember that a few males (mostly husbands and sons of clients) go to these salons as well.

• Like 1

:hurray:  Thank you regentrude, for breaking the ice -- I was too embarrassed to post this same thought. I heavily read and research classic lit. and all kinds of deeper topics every day. I have a giant stack of books and journals I'm always wading through, and can take with me if I have to wait in an office. I don't do facebook or social media, I don't watch TV, and my contact with pop culture is very limited. So I actually look forward to my 30 minutes 4x/year under the dryer at the hair salon getting to flip through celebrity magazines and touching base with pop culture, and then I enjoy the rest of my time at the salon chatting with my hairdresser and feeling like I'm getting treated to a relaxing spa kind of treatment. Since I run HARD with teaching, researching, writing, and thinking most of the time, I NEED that kind of a break at the salon!  :laugh:

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Many businesses get magazines free, so they aren't going to spend much money to increase their magazine options. My dh gets a whole pile of magazines that are somewhat related to his profession and we don't pay for any of them. I also agree with others that I really don't want to be reading woman empowering or social justice magazines in the few unfocused minutes when I'm in a waiting room.

• Like 2

She might consider if there is a need and also receptiveness at waiting rooms where people do wait a long time.

Emergency rooms

surgery waiting areas

Employment Insurance offices

Aid agency offices

Social security

DMV

She should be prepared to take no as a response that isn't personal. Some places may have no reading material so they can't be seen as promoting any viewpoint.

• Like 3

Even if I would like to read more interesting articles in waiting rooms, I can't focus when I know I will be called any minute. This is the same reason I can read a message board or skim news in the day time, but find it difficult to focus on deeper reading unless it is early in the morning before children need me, or at bed time. Fifteen or twenty years ago, this was not the case. Then, I could bring focus in and out and would carry long novels with me everywhere. That has something to do with having children, something to do with age, and maybe something to do with the internet, since it does have effects on the brain, although I don't seem to have trouble focusing on books when other distractions aren't present in the way I hear some people say they do.

Also in a hair salon, while waiting, I am usually thinking about what I will say to my stylist about how I want my hair done, since I don't usually think about it ahead of time.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 3