Menu

2017-2018 Morning Time Plans

Ooooh! Me!!! We've never done a formal 'morning time' so I'm really researching this now. Next year we will be doing the Build Your Library geography year. I bought the books from a friend for my oldest dd, who will be in 7th, and then added picture books for my youngest and short chapter books for my middle dd. At last count, I have over 200 books and stories to be read next year!

For now, I'm thinking we will do morning basket for one hour, first thing. We will be studying one continent every 4-6 weeks, so the books will be coordinating. I'll have a picture book, a chapter book, a map to color or fill in, and our poetry daily. I was also thinking about rotating books like Children Like Me, Celebrations, A Life Like Mine, Material World, and What the World Eats. Maybe even showing 15-20 minutes of documentaries? I know we are short on books for Antarctica, so I was wanting to show them the movie Arctic Tale...

Other than geography based books, I want to do composer or artist study. I have about 12 of the Getting To Know The World's Artist books and a collection of 'composer stories for children' books. I have a great coffee table book, World Art, that has nice big pictures.

I'm thinking my voice will tire if I try to read aloud for an hour, so I may have an audio books going as well. And I may have my middle dd read the picture book to the youngest, and my older dd read the chapter book.

I'd love for the girls to put together an 'end of the unit' project or presentation, perhaps highlighting a specific country or person or animal they were interested in from which ever continent we have been studying. This will be very open ended, and completely their project. They can choose to do a poster or write a report or simply stand and talk. I'm wondering if allowing them to work on these things during some of the read aloud time would be too distracting? If it is, I do feel like I'll need some more 'keeping their hands busy' ideas for while I'm reading. Especially for my youngest.

I'd love other ideas fro mm more experienced morning basket folks on what else to incoorperate into our geography year basket!

• Like 2

We are planning to have two parts to our morning time.  One part inside, one part outside. 

Inside:

Devotion (Big Truths for Little Kids)

Storytime (lesson from HOD's Bigger Hearts)

Character (either Laying Down the Rails or a lesson from Beautiful Feet's Character through Literature)

Poetry (lesson from HOD's Preparing Hearts)

Latin (Song School Latin)

Outside:

Either Walk or Nature Study drawing

• Like 1

We are actually cutting way back on Morning Time next year. It was getting a bit bloated and I'm going to have 2 new kindergarteners.

Daily-

-Prayer

-Hymn

-Bible Reading

-Memory Work

-Poetry (AA Milne's Now We Are 6 for the littles first semester then Poems to Learn by Heart for the bigs second semester)

-Daily chapter from a classic, going back mostly to enjoy books the younger two missed (Whinnie the Poo, Charlottes Web, Dahl, ect)

Cycling-

Art Apreciation (Artistic Pursuits)

Faith (Journaling Through the Orthodox Year)

Nature studies (just keeping journals, hiking)

Music Appreciation (uhg, I don't know, this one is always hard for me)

Crafting (sewing/woodworking/embroidery/ect)

• Like 2

Our morning time is at the breakfast table.

The basics stay the same:

- Bible reading (KJV... 9yo asked to learn "Old English" and reading the KJV was the best way I could think of!)

- Prayer

- Memory work - Bible passages, poetry, facts, French

- Daily poem (Favorite Poems anthology)

- Journaling (free writing, copy work, picture study, or lit narration, etc)

If we start the day with those, we have a good and calm foundation.

Things that flex:

- French most days (picture book, GSWF, Petit Ours Brun, flashcards)

- Child's Intro to Art/discussion of Met Art A Day calendar

- Mad Libs

ETA: This is what we are doing this year, but it's been working so well that in planning, I've just spotted in to do the same thing again... maybe switch out a few resources.

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 1

Next year it will be just me and my 14 year old dd.  That will be an adjustment, but it will also give us some freedom to align what we do in MT with her history and literature studies.  I haven't done that in the past.    

Basics:

Grammar - We do Analytical Grammar during this time

Poetry Memorization - I'll preselect poems, but haven't done this yet.

Scripture reading and memorization - We'll be in the Old Testament and memorizing Psalms.

Read aloud - It will be from her ancient literature list. 

Rotating: 

Art appreciation - She's studying ancient history next year, so we'll be studying ancient art.

Composer Study - We've studied Haydn and Mozart this year.  I might look at Professor Carol's sacred music course since we'll be in ancient times.

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 1

We've been doing "morning time" in the afternoons for about 5 years. It worked better to do it when dn (babysitting child) and later our own new addition were napping. We would start with stories for her, include her in some memory work, then send her to naptime and we would continue on with longer read alouds and afternoon school. 

Next year I am moving it back to mornings. We will use our Thinking Tree Journals as our guide. So we will rotate what we do, depending on what page we are on. There are about 10-15 pages in a "day" of a journal if you were using it as your full curriculum. Each page has a different subject in mind. We aren't using these as our full curriculum. We will just open the book and do a page or two each morning. So on the planning page we will look at our calendars and schedules and do prayer. On the map pages, we will label the maps using our geography coloring books. On coloring pages we will listen to our composer CD and I will read from the book on a composer. On the nature study pages we will go outside and draw and label a picture. I am planning on a focus on trees and wildflowers and have a couple of books I want to purchase for identification. On the reading pages with four squares for four different books we will read aloud from a poetry book, a history book, a literature book, and something from the classical times. There are journaling pages and Bible study pages.  So it will kind of just work like a loop through these. We won't hit poetry daily. We won't hit geography daily. But we will circle through these throughout the year. I am a little worried about this not being enough read aloud time, but I will adjust if this doesn't work. Maybe work in the journals together for 30 min each morning and they can continue to color in them while I read aloud daily for the last 30 min of the hour. Something like that. 

I will have my 3.5 yr old at the table with us too. I am hoping to build up the year and have her excited about table time. I will have coloring workbooks for her, plus playdough and table toys for this time daily. So it will end up being like 15 min of reading with her, doing a bit of hands on with her and getting her settled, 30 min of me reading aloud, and 15 min or so on research for the journal page, lol. But I am trying to incorporate her into our school more next year.  Then as they get into quiet studies I can go off with her for some preschool music time or something. 

I don't know if this is going to work out or not. But I am going to try it.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1

Hmmmm.... I'm probably still pretty far away from planning morning time, but it's fun to start thinking about it!  

So, definitely something for Bible / devotional

If nothing else sounds good, I may just read aloud some of my favorite Landmark books.

We could do some diagramming once or twice a week since some of the older ones won't be doing that anymore.

I would like to be more intentional about music appreciation - so that's a maybe.

Other thoughts - depending on what 13yo dd does for history next year, I could read aloud an overview type spine and assign her books that go more in depth.  Also, most of what we've done this year has been over the head of my youngest, so it's possible I could aim closer to her level, but I don't want to waste the older ones' time.  I guess I'm feeling the effect of the age spread more than I used to!  

• Like 1

I'm so excited to try Morning Time this year. I've had so many books and resources I've wanted to use that didn't fit a particular "subject" and I've had trouble knowing where to fit them in. When I read about implementing Morning Time a few weeks ago, I realized that yes, this is where I'm going to poke all those wonderful books and studies and rabbit trails that I just couldn't seem to find room for before.

I'm thinking of using some things everyday and then saving other things for a loop schedule. Here's my list of possible resources:

Church History ABCs

Favorite Poems Old and New

Hymn book

Egermeier's Bible Story Book

Dangerous Journey

Abeka Character Cards

Calendar

Wiggle and Wonder

George Washington's Rules of Civility

The Book of Virtues

Picture Study

• Like 1

I want to start out with 15-30 minutes of physical activity. DD has loved walking or riding her scooter to PS this year (at least when weather permits) so maybe we'll take a morning walk around the block, or go out back to the swingset. Just Dance on the Wii if it's icky out. Just something to really get moving and get the wiggles out before we do seat work. 

Then for morning time once we settle down:

Calendar/day - go over calendar basics for K child (day/date...) and go over what our plans/expectations for the day are for all of us ~5 min

ASL- Just a short session to go over a few words or phrases and introduce a few more. (no curriculum, I sign, I'll make it up as I go) ~5-10 min

Memory work - using IEW poetry memorization book ~ 10-15 min.

Critical thinking - Play a puzzle or two from a logic/thinking game. (eg...IQ twist, rush hour, lazer maze.....) ~15 min. 

We do read-alouds after lunch, not as part of morning-time.

• Like 1

I model our Morning Time off of Simply Convivial's circle time. At the moment we do

Prayer

Pledge

Hymn

Poetry memorization (same poet all year)

1-3 catechism questions

1-3 grammar definitions/recitations

Science Recitation based on what we're studying

Kindergarten Recitations from Memoria Press

I make new booklets every 2 weeks or so with new material, though hymns and longer poems stick around for longer.

We get through everything in 10 mintues or less, which is about all I can manage with the little ones! Most of our read alouds come from Audible at lunch time.

• Like 1

I love Morning Time! We call it "Morning Meeting" here :)

We have a huge age gap here, at least as far as "school-age" students, so we do not do anything super academic during Morning Meeting, and what academic things we do, are scattered.

1. Decade of the rosary. I know this sounds sweet and reverent, but in reality it's not much more than hardly-controlled chaos. The rosary IS said, but it is while DS4 (almost 5) bounces off walls (literally, bounces off walls), DS7 (almost 8) walks on DD15's back, and... well, you get the picture. 

2. Recitation and Fine Arts (recitation includes picture study, saint study, geography, history, practical, and great words)

This upcoming year we are adding in geography (Trail Guide to World Geography, atlases, Geography Through Art, Ultimate Geography and Timeline Book, Eat Your Way Around the World).

We're adding in religion to our Morning Meeting, as we have one with a sacrament coming up.

We are also doing Latin as a group in the mornings with Song School Latin. DD15 is dyslexic and hasn't been able to pull it off so far, but she really enjoys teaching her younger brothers, so we may be able to get in some Latin this way :)

All in all, I expect our Morning Meeting will take up about 1.5 hours. It's almost all interactive, though, and hands-on.

• Like 2

I want to start out with 15-30 minutes of physical activity. DD has loved walking or riding her scooter to PS this year (at least when weather permits) so maybe we'll take a morning walk around the block, or go out back to the swingset. Just Dance on the Wii if it's icky out. Just something to really get moving and get the wiggles out before we do seat work.

Then for morning time once we settle down:

Calendar/day - go over calendar basics for K child (day/date...) and go over what our plans/expectations for the day are for all of us ~5 min

ASL- Just a short session to go over a few words or phrases and introduce a few more. (no curriculum, I sign, I'll make it up as I go) ~5-10 min

Memory work - using IEW poetry memorization book ~ 10-15 min.

Critical thinking - Play a puzzle or two from a logic/thinking game. (eg...IQ twist, rush hour, lazer maze.....) ~15 min.

We do read-alouds after lunch, not as part of morning-time.

I've been trying to figure out how to make morning time work for us. This sounds perfect. Like, exactly what I want and nothing I don't. I'm stealing your schedule.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We always begin and end with a prayer.  I'm aiming for us to learn about three new prayers by heart out of the Carmina Gadelica. 

We always have a song we are learning.  I think we'll start with some songs from American heritage, then start including selections from Lingua Angelica.  We also usually have a song in Gaelic that we're learning, but I'm not sure if this will be in MT or not.

We are continually memorize poetry out of The Harp and Laurel Wreath.  I'm adding in some good, old fashioned nursery rhymes for my littles this year.

There will be a few lines from whatever Shakespeare play we are working on to memorize.

We'll review the fifty states and their capitals for a while.  Also Latin vocabulary/phrases/etc.

Sometimes math in the form of skip counting.

Elocution - My two older girls read aloud from McGuffey's....different levels for each.

I read aloud fables from Aesop and one other thing.  The one other thing rotates between American history/culture, Celtic history/culture, and My Book House. 

There are candles and drawings and lots of questions asked.  Works for us and takes round 30 to 40 minutes.

Morning time for us is basically Memory Work, Latin chants, and Story Time. I try to get it done first thing but if we wake up late it gets moved to after lunch. Memory work follows a schedule.

Monday: presidents

States & capitals

World geography

Tuesday: old poem, current poem, current science

Wednesday: old poem, current poem, current science

Thursday: review grammar

Friday: old poem, current poem, current science

Saturday: CC timeline song

Sunday: review of science memory work

This year we did SOTW2 and most of our Reading came from that. We've been doing a lot of Shakespeare for the past couple months. I am still unsure what we will be reading next year. I haven't checked out Volume 3 yet.

I would like to add picture or composer study next year. Those have really fallen by the wayside this year. I'm hoping to pick up a couple of those classical orchestra cd's Pam Barnhill has mentioned on her podcast.

Tentative plan....

Bible

Prayer

Loop:

Easy Peasy Art – Cultures

Classics for Kids podcast

MCT World of Poetry

Philosophy for Kids

Grimm’s or Andersen’s fairytales

Shakespeare

Khan Academy Art Videos

TedEd videos

Considering:

Copywork

Virtue Study

Memory Work

Diagramming a Sentence

This year we’ve done:

Bible

Prayer

1-2 of the following:

The Fallacy Detective

The Thinking Toolbox

Philosophy for Kids

Shakespeare picture book by Colville or Garfield’s Shakespeare

MCT Music of the Hemispheres

Fairytale

Virtue Study

Usborne Children’s Book of Art

Jotham’s Journey (during Advent)

All the Small Poems and Fourteen More

This one always seems a bit odd to me since I only have one teenage daughter. I've decided to do a tea time with her daily since we enjoy that anyway. We'll be doing:

Bible reading

Book on missionaries

Compete on Seterra for fun (geography)

Dictation

Mandarin conversation

I think that's it. She'll be using a good deal of BJU DVD's next year, so a midday break will be really nice.

• Like 1

I'm afterschooling (for now) and though I'd heard of morning time it took me a while to realize that the same concept could be used to ease the transition after my daughter's one hour after school break and soften the blow, as it were, of having to return to academic work after being in school all day. I am mostly focusing on read-alouds, with a heavy focus on poetry which is a great love for both of us. I am really trying to get her into Longfellow, especially after reading on this forum about Ella Frances Lynch and her view of him as the American child's Homer. We have not gotten off the first page of Evangeline yet, nor am I in any rush to do so. I really want those iconic images and rhythms to sink in. But any memorization happens implicitly and by-the-way. I am constantly seeking a balance across types of poetry and readings, so I don't have a set agenda for what I want to cover, but I do have a short list of classic prayers, canticles, etc. that I want to work in over the coming year. Our religious curriculum, on the two days a week we do it, comes at the tail end of our reading time, and includes a hymn from our tradition. I'm thinking I'll start replaying hymns from past lessons on the days we don't do the curriculum.

I like CPSTAnne's idea of including physical activity. Since I hate the summer heat, I'm considering doing sunrise walks in the summer, both to get a chance to appreciate nature before it gets too hot and to start the days off with a sense of vigor. In winter, if she's no longer in PS, I could see us doing the yoga DVD she owns, or something like it, and more music - including us singing, to help create that sense of activity.