Menu

I don't mean to be ungrateful, honestly.

Night Elf

DH took a vacation day today and I've been doing some cleaning. We had a discussion about how I do laundry. Our methods differ. I'm not bothered by his way, it's just funny that we're so different. He put in one load and I put in the second, so we shared the work in a funny way. Then I swept the main rooms in the house. Usually I also sweep the stairway but it's something I hate doing so I asked if he would do it for me. He was happy to oblige. I told him I realize he has two college degrees but did he want me to explain how I do it. He said since he was doing it, he'd do it his way. Ok. That's fair. So I'm sitting here in the living room listening to him sweeping. What normally takes me less than 5 minutes took him about 10. I have NO idea what he was doing that took so long and I'm not going to ask. I'm grateful he did it for me today.

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 1

I'm the slow one in my house.  But I've never asked my dh how he manages to do things so quickly.  I always assumed that I was daydreaming and he was focused and that's how he is so fast, but now I wonder if there's actually a different technique he's using.  Hmmm.  

I hate it when someone else does certain housework around here, because they make it seem like SUCH A CHORE, while I usually do it so fast that nobody even notices.  If I must allow other people to do it, I hide in my room "working" so I don't have to hear the sighs ....

In fairness, it's the other way around with some things.  Like conference calls.  Just shoot me instead.

I am the slow one. I do everything very carefully. When I have gone on mission trips dh is so proud of how he kept up the house while I was gone... except he didn't, lol. But not everyone thinks the same way so you can't expect any two people to do the same job the same way. 

Hehe. A lot of times I will do the dishes simply because I do them sooo much faster than dh. In the time I get the dishes done he can clean the bathrooms, which I take forever cleaning. We just do things differently but we've learned who is more efficient at what task and we stick to those tasks

I am faster at some things, my husband is faster at others.  It just depends on how much practice we've had with the task.

It always amazes me how long it takes him to chop an onion.  But he is an engineer, so I'm sure his onion pieces are close to the same size.  By the time he's done, I'm ready to get it wherever it's going, I don't notice. 

But I have chopped thousands of onions over my cooking life.  He's got a ways to go to catch up to me.

I hate it when my husband does the dishes or other mundane cleaning.  I hate the waste of his time. There are other tasks around here that only he can do, or do well.  

Ha, yep- we're all different!  In our house, my dh is very detailed and thorough with housekeeping, and I'm mostly not.  Our kids always wanted my approval for their job being completed, not my dh's.  :)

It's funny because now that they're mostly grown up, some take after my dh and some take after me.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say either of us are totally detailed when it comes to cleaning. We do have tasks each of us does but really only because one of us doesn't like doing something so the other one does it. The only exception is laundry. I usually do it all because I actually like doing laundry. I get a happy feeling when I hear the washer and dryer running. I fold and put away clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer so the chore isn't overwhelming. The one thing I absolutely hate doing is cooking. I have never liked cooking. I usually time dinner so that DH can finish it when he comes home. There are some dishes I can do on my own, but really I hate cooking meat. DH does it perfectly every time. I'm always afraid I'll undercook it and we'll all spend the night in the bathroom or worse, in the hospital.

• Like 1

Dh can be so slow at chores.

We have wooden stairs. Once he swept them. Instead of starting at the top and sweeping down, he swept each individual stair and caught the dust/debris in the dust pan, then went to the next stair. He had trouble balancing the broom, and dust pan moving from stair to stair. So he asked me to help him do it by holding the dust pan.

I showed m the right way to do it. :p

• Like 1