Menu

Silliness- boys and homeschool

enchantedhome

It might be the death of me.

LOL. Not really. I love my kids and their sense of humor. I love that they love to make each other laugh. But it is taking over school-work time, and making it difficult to get work done. The real culprit is my 7 almost 8 year old son. I think I'm figuring out that boys at that age are all about silly. Correct me if I'm wrong;) He will make everything into a joke, and suddenly, he's in hysterics, he's dragged his sister (10) into it, and we are no longer talking about Ferdinand and Isabella. All morning long I've been trying to drag everyone back from the brink to work on math, copywork, etc. Often my daughter is actually attemping to work and my son is trying to engage her from across the room. It's a bad, bad habit we're in, and it's making every day harder than it needs to be. I don't want to crush the fun, but it does need to be able to be reigned in from time to time. 

Things I've tried: snacks, breaks, outside time, putting the kids in seperate areas. I don't love having to split us all up, especially because they both need my help, and I can't be running from sides of the house to meet everyone's needs. I'm trying not to yell. I don't want to make everyone miserable. But of my goodness: stop giggling and lets get some things done. 

Advice?

• Like 1

I don't think it is a boy thing; just a personality thing.

You could try a positive/negative incentive combo. Say, you plan to work on math for 50 minutes. If he settles down to his work without silliness you subtract 2 minutes for every 1p minutes of focused work (so he could be done in about 42 minutes); any 10 minute period that includes silliness adds 2 minutes.

Or something else, whatever you think has a chance of working with him. He has to do 5 pushups for every silly interlude during school work?

It might be the death of me.

LOL. Not really. I love my kids and their sense of humor. I love that they love to make each other laugh. But it is taking over school-work time, and making it difficult to get work done. The real culprit is my 7 almost 8 year old son. I think I'm figuring out that boys at that age are all about silly. Correct me if I'm wrong;) He will make everything into a joke, and suddenly, he's in hysterics, he's dragged his sister (10) into it, and we are no longer talking about Ferdinand and Isabella. All morning long I've been trying to drag everyone back from the brink to work on math, copywork, etc. Often my daughter is actually attemping to work and my son is trying to engage her from across the room. It's a bad, bad habit we're in, and it's making every day harder than it needs to be. I don't want to crush the fun, but it does need to be able to be reigned in from time to time.

Things I've tried: snacks, breaks, outside time, putting the kids in seperate areas. I don't love having to split us all up, especially because they both need my help, and I can't be running from sides of the house to meet everyone's needs. I'm trying not to yell. I don't want to make everyone miserable. But of my goodness: stop giggling and lets get some things done.

Advice?

No advice, only sympathy. It's really bad when they're actually funny and Mom has no poker face. Somehow they don't take correction seriously when Mom can't keep a straight face. I'd like to tell you it gets better, but I can't.

• Like 2

The quote from Ecclesiastes in the Bible about "There is a time for everything...." adding your own line, "A time to be silly and a time to refrain from being silly." My kids try to be silly during school. When it gets out of hand, I firmly let them know while I do not want our school time to be dull with no humor, I do expect full attention to lessons and will not allow humor to take us off track the learning process. If it gets out of hand, there is a consequence (homework instead of free time, an extra chore I was planning to do but the one who got us off track has to do, and such.) It is a good lesson for the future. While it is okay to cut up and be silly sometimes, it is not going to fly when it disrupts someone from work that has to get done or lessons in a class outside of homeschool.

ETA: I am NOT an expert in this! The above works in theory, not always in reality.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 1

We talk about our "energy" in our home.

Silly energy is not conducive to schoolwork. So, when someone starts getting it, they need to shake it off or they are going to end up in trouble.

IOW, it's something that is addressed in an on-going manner. Starting by naming our feelings, and starting to understand how what we feel inside can affect the people around us, or better but also for worse!

No advice, but I'll send you some sympathetic hugs. :grouphug:

On the bright side, at least they're laughing and not arguing. :)

So true. My kids fight plenty. So when they are getting along and just being silly and rowdy, I actually feel bad getting after them for it. I mean, at least they like each other at the moment. But yes, it's so frustrating when you're trying to get stuff done.

• Like 1

At this point I spend most of the one on one time with the 11 year old.  The 15 year old is fairly independent.  But man...  So he interrupts everything with the silliest questions.  "So when you have an independent clause....."  Mom.....mom....do you think cats dream about grasshoppers?  WHAT?!

It's so silly!

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 1

My DS is almost 16...I miss the sillies...Someday they won't be silly.

You could try taking a break when the sillies happen if you have time, or better, build in breaks. I think 7 and 8 year olds on average have a shorter attention span for academics than most curricula plan for. 20min work, 5-10 min of break. If it's nice, it's even better if they can go outside and swing or run for the time. When they get restless, the sillies come out. You could also try getting them some fidget toys to handle during school. 

• Like 3

My DS is almost 16...I miss the sillies...Someday they won't be silly.

You could try taking a break when the sillies happen if you have time, or better, build in breaks. I think 7 and 8 year olds on average have a shorter attention span for academics than most curricula plan for. 20min work, 5-10 min of break. If it's nice, it's even better if they can go outside and swing or run for the time. When they get restless, the sillies come out. You could also try getting them some fidget toys to handle during school. 

so true

my 15 year old boarders on "stick in the mud" these days....I'm patiently waiting for him to be less...grouchy,....

No experience as I just have little ones, but I've heard it suggested that you get a candle and light it when it is time to work. As soon as kids get off track, silently blow it out. To get it relit they have to be on-task for ten minutes or so. When the candle burns out, there is some reward (so kids want it to keep burning) Those I've heard recommend it say it helps their families not escalate the situation due to mom getting upset and yelling. I'd imagine smallish candles and small rewards would be bestto start with, then graduate to a giant candle and big reward.

We get the sillies here too! I have a DS7 and I'm following with much interest.

Lately there has been silliness and also moaning and groaning which has us both exhausted and grumpy by the end of a lesson.

So far a snack and a play time before school seem to help a little. Also, keeping lessons kinda fun and gamey so there's no need for additional injections of 'humour'.