Menu

Living rooom furniture....anyone buy from Costco or Sam's club?

Ottakee

I am looking for basic COMFORTABLE and sturdy living room/family room furniture.  A friend said she saw some nice stuff at Sam's Club and Costco but has never bought any from there.  I was just wondering how well it holds up and if it is quality made.  I want matching furniture that is comfy and inviting to friends and family to sit on, lay on, curl up on, etc.

We've bought from Costco. We had one couch that survived serious abuse for ten years and looked brand new. Multiple moves, a flood while sitting on its side in storage, big dogs, toddlers using it as an acrobatic prop. Loved it. We gave it away when remodeling and it had a few more years, at least. It was fabric, but not microfiber.

Our current set is Costco leather. I have not been as ecstatic, but Costco no longer does business with that brand, I think because they had complaints. We've had it 9 years though, so not bad. But we had to have the cushions re-covered to stretch it this long.

We are looking again now, and I'm eyeing Costco because overall our experience has been positive, and the prices are generally good. We will buy leather again, due to asthma.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

My friend's house is almost completely furnished from Costco.  It looks beautiful.  She did buy it after her kids were grown, so it doesn't get rough use.

We have thought about it, but we have been fortunate to find great furniture used and much prefer those prices.

• Like 1

I've looked at Costco stuff.

Their furniture tends to be sold only in big sets, and I'm not a matchy matchy kind of decorator.

When I want a couch and maybe a loveseat, to have a whole set that includes those plus a chair and end tables and an ottoman...doesn't work for me.

However, when I have bought outdoor furniture there I've been very pleased with it, and their quality seems to be medium high.

my sil has bought quite a bit from costco - it seems sturdy and comfortable enough.

my dd bought a sofa and loveseat (separately - as they bought them at different costcos that stocked them) that they're happy with.  this is their first house, and probably first new-new furniture purchase.

but as the granddaughter/neice of furniture/cabinet makers, I can complain about higher end/name-brand have their own store furniture's lacking details . . .

• Like 1

I've looked at Costco stuff.

Their furniture tends to be sold only in big sets, and I'm not a matchy matchy kind of decorator.

When I want a couch and maybe a loveseat, to have a whole set that includes those plus a chair and end tables and an ottoman...doesn't work for me.

However, when I have bought outdoor furniture there I've been very pleased with it, and their quality seems to be medium high.

We have only bought single pieces at a time. No mitchy matchy here either. :)

I am totally open to doing Craig's list, etc. IF I can find quality pieces at a good price that are clean.  That said, I like to have fewer choices if I go into a store.  I hate having to decide between 153 couches.  Give me 10 and I can decide, even 5 choices is often enough.  I get easily overwhelmed.

Basically, I wanted my friend to just sell me all of her furniture when she moved as I loved what she had, but alas, so did she.

• Like 2

I have a large sectional couch from Costco. I bought it with the young kid years in mind and have always intended to replace it some day, when the kids are grown or half-grown or whatever.

Cons: it's not entirely to my taste - it's dark and boxy. It's a little too big for us. The last time I saw it at Costco it was being sold with one less section, which I think I would have preferred. The sections come apart easily unless it's on a rug/carpet or being treated very carefully (a foreign concept in my household...).

Pros: I can endlessly reconfigure it. Kids are bored on a rainy day? Make forts or mazes. Movie night or mega read-aloud afternoon? Turn it into a gigantic bed. While it's darker than I would like, it hides stains really well. I was really glad about that when my son had a procedure done in the ER less than one week after we bought it, and the sedatives they gave him made him keep losing his bladder. I shudder when I think of the fancy-schmancy 5x more expensive stuff I almost bought instead. The fabric and internal structure seem really sturdy, and we all find it firm and comfortable. I thought it was a great place to recovery from a c-section and establish breastfeeding while entertaining two other kids at the same time. It's mainly just the pieces that lock the sections together that could be better. I think the price was very good for what we want out of it - mainly getting us through the cuddly but messy years.

Oh, one final Con. You have to get it home yourself. They wouldn't let DH drive it home a piece or two at a time in the van because they didn't want the liability if anything happened to the rest of it in the store, but they did kindly recommend that he rent a small moving truck and trailer from the Home Depot down the road. They helped him load it, though. I was 7 months pregnant at the time and good for nothing in that department. But maybe you can order the furniture online and not have to worry about that.

Oh, one final Con. You have to get it home yourself. They wouldn't let DH drive it home a piece or two at a time in the van because they didn't want the liability if anything happened to the rest of it in the store, but they did kindly recommend that he rent a small moving truck and trailer from the Home Depot down the road. They helped him load it, though. I was 7 months pregnant at the time and good for nothing in that department. But maybe you can order the furniture online and not have to worry about that.

That is not a big deal for us as we have a horse trailer, a stock trailer, and another trailer.......2 of them with ramps :-)  I can see though that for most people that would be a big con.

You may be able to see some reviews for specific pieces online. I find the specific item makes a big difference- for example I have several IKEA pieces that have made it through multiple moves, several years and look great. Other styles from them would NOT be okay at this point.

My son,s family just bought a sectional from Costco. They have one they bought off Craigslist a few years ago. It is a better quality overall than th Costcomone. However, they bought their first house and needed a new sectional for the basement theater room. It works and was only 900.00. They have 3 kids and that is the movie watching, pizza eating room. They figure if they get 5 years out of it, it's just fine.

We bought a sofa and love seat from Talsma( outtake will know this name). It's just two,of us here, and we don't spend that much time in that room. We are very unhappy with it after just one year.

If I could fit a sectional,in that room, I would be shopping at Costco. Online seems to be nothing but leather, which we don't want.

Katie sorry to hear you are not happy with Talsma. That was one of my top places to look if Sam's Club or Costco didn't work. They have a good reputation in the area. Art Van though just seems to sell stuff that looks great but doesn't hold up....Unless that is wrong now.

When we were looking for furniture a year ago, we looked at Sam's Club but everything was so dark and bulky looking. We ended up purchasing two pretty Flexsteel couches from a local store in town for a better price than the Sam's club one. We picked a high performance fabric and they are just so comfy and nice. They look brand new still and it has been a year of rough wear.

Katie sorry to hear you are not happy with Talsma. That was one of my top places to look if Sam's Club or Costco didn't work. They have a good reputation in the area. Art Van though just seems to sell stuff that looks great but doesn't hold up....Unless that is wrong now.

It might be hit or miss. Our daughter bought a sectional from Art Van that held up extremely well for 9'years. They left it with the house when they moved recently.

I don't know where to shop anymore. Have you look at Broene's? They are close to you. We didn't find the salespeople very helpful and many of their brands are the same as Talsma. We just didn't find what we were looking for there.