Menu

Painted Carpet?

Amy in NH

A friend recently told me about spray paint for upholstery--she'd painted a chair she got  at a yard sale. It looked great! I suppose this kind of paint could be used on carpet?

ETA: the fabric on the spray painted chair felt soft ... like the fabric had just been dyed vs "painted".

Edited by Cinder

Listening in. I have an outdoor rug that is faded and I was just wondering if I could paint it.

The laundry is piled up and I hate laundry. I would much rather be outside. If I knew how to paint the rug, I could totally justify doing that and ignoring the laundry a little while longer 😉

• Like 2

I have never painted carpet, nor heard of anyone who has.  And I've never shared this here, or, well, anywhere online.  But I did once paint a twill loveseat.  I'm not sure if the technique I used might help, so I thought I'd share, in case it helps.

This was more than 20 years ago, and done by a very poor college student... There are probably better options now!

I used a basic house paint - not oil based.  I watered it down significantly, and applied with a sponge.  It worked perfectly, but getting the right amount of coverage took some adjusting, I practiced on the underside of a cushion, I think.  The couch was an off white, and the cover could not be removed, so dyeing in the wash wasn't an option.  I had nothing to lose, basically, and just wanted it to look ok for a few more years.  Which it did.  I passed that couch on to another student, when it was time, and it lasted at least a few years after that, too.

Not sure that would work on carpet - the trick was to use mostly water, I think, so that it didn't dry hard and crunchy.

I have a big piece of burlap and some wide outdoor tape in several bright colors.  (Maybe it's colored duct tape?  I can't recall.)  I planned to use it to make a Mondrian style outdoor rug for where my front lawn used to be before I gave it up due to the drought.  Naturally the purchase triggered an immediate end to said drought, and naturally the lawn spot is now a fairly mucky mess.  Had I known it would be so cheap and easy to stop the drought, I would have done it much sooner, LOL.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 5