Menu

"W" on college transcript?

MorningGlory

Are there any significant disadvantages to having a "W" on one's college transcript? 

My son seriously wants to drop a class, but at this point, it would result in a "W" on his transcript. It is a class that is not required for his major, and dropping it would not put him below full-time student status (he has 17 hours right now). At this point he has no grades in the class which is taught by a grad student.  

This son will definitely go to grad school or seminary after undergrad.

My husband and I have encouraged him to stick with it. But I promised ds I would ask you all. ;-)

Thanks!

I have a daughter who is graduating in May who has a W on her transcript in a class for her major and she already has a job. (mechanical engineering)

My other daughter graduated last May. She has a W on her transcript as well as multiple Pass/Fail classes (the first college she attended as a very small liberal arts college and the culture there was to take 18+ credit hours and then pass/fail a class.  EVERYONE did it). She got accepted to multiple grad schools.  (Math BS and Math Phd program.

No one ever asked about either of their W's. The pass/fails did raise questions but explaining the culture of the school answered those and the answers seemed to be satisfactory.

• Like 1

I have 4 on my undergraduate degrees, and 2 on my graduate degree. They were scattered. I only did that when I realized that the course was a very bad fit or because I had to reduce my workload and didn't want a "D" or "F." Both of those are completely normal reasons, and they weren't all in a semester.

I've never, ever been asked about it. I worked 10 years in university research and then in a program management position in the federal government. After that I became an adjunct professor and have jumped around some in my career that way. All of these employers wanted full transcripts.

Maybe someone will question it at some point, but that isn't at all common from what I've heard among other professionals, particularly after the first job or competitive graduate school admission.

• Like 1

A "W"--even several-- on a transcript will not be an issue.  Ws raise questions when a student has a pattern of dropping classes every semester, repeatedly drops the same class, or drops a class and then takes it again and receives a low grade.  The other time questions could arise is if a student drops all or almost all classes during a particular semester--was there an illness, family emergency, or something?

A "W"--even several-- on a transcript will not be an issue.  Ws raise questions when a student has a pattern of dropping classes every semester, repeatedly drops the same class, or drops a class and then takes it again and receives a low grade.  The other time questions could arise is if a student drops all or almost all classes during a particular semester--was there an illness, family emergency, or something?

How this is noted on a transcript varies by university. 

At the university my son attends, when a student takes a class they previously dropped with a "W" the grade replaces the "W" and it no longer appears on the transcript. The student can do this for four classes. There is no way someone who looks at the transcript can tell the class was previously dropped. If a student drops classes for medical reasons or for a family emergency, the classes simply don't appear on the transcript.  There is a great deal of documentation required and the Dean of Students as well as the Medical Director of student health must sign off on this type of withdrawal. 

Students should become familiar with their university policies regarding the following: 

drop/add

medical withdrawal

family emergencies 

grade replacement

Thank you all for your answers!

I guess my biggest hesitation is that my son is just a freshman. He could have some major life event that would require him to drop a class for a W in the future, so there is no need to do it now just because he has certain strong feelings about the class. I think he can survive it. I told him to put a big countdown on his wall and cross off the days until it ends. Only 3 more class meetings until spring break and then only 14 after that! There is light at the end of that tunnel!

The teacher has announced a test for next week, so my son is hoping that the teacher will grade it before the drop date. But none of us are very confident that will happen. Ds is a very "grade conscious" student, so he doesn't like not having ANY idea of how he is doing in a class. He may just have to base his decision on whether to stay in the class or drop by how he feels he did on that test.