Menu

car seat gurus - best convertible seat for infant?

ktgrok

Update: I'm impulsive and hormonal and had a registry completion coupon, plus my red card. So I went ahead and bought the Graco Contender 65 in a pretty pink. Will be here next wednesday. Got if for $113 after my discounts, with free shipping!!!

Keeping in mind I don't have tiny babies...smallest was my first (different father) at 7 lbs 13 oz, next was 9 lbs, next was 10 lbs. Fairly tall at about 22 inches. This baby shouldn't be 10 pounds, but not tiny. I don't tend to take that stupid heavy bucket in and out anyway, so am looking at just doing a convertible seat. And we almost never switch the seats from one car to the other...in fact they won't all fit in my husband's truck anyway, so that's not an issue. So, convertible makes more sense. ON the one hand, one that grows with them until booster is great, on the other we've never made it that long without an accident and needing a new seat (thank you Orlando traffic..sigh).  So that's not a HUGE issue, if we need to rebuy in a few years, whatever. But something that will work the first few years, rearfacing, is my goal. And be comfy. Some feel so uncomfy to me when I touch them, and those new head restraint things on the sides seem like they would drive a baby crazy. My kids all have hated car rides as babies, so don't want to make that worse. 

Easy to adjust straps are a big bonus. A cup holder for later is good. Easy to install isn't as big a deal as we don't move them very often. (obviously impossible super hard to install would be bad). 

We've had in the past Tru fit recline seats, and now the kids are in Graco Nautilus seats (4 and 7 years old) and I've been happy with them. We've also had a radian and it was fine. 

I drive a mini van, so most seats should fit I would think. 

Looking at this list, and at pricing, I'm thinking a Graco 65 maybe? The deep recline is great for an infant, but I would expect a "big kid" would eventually want to be more upright from what I remember seeing of these seats (my sister had one at one point). But at that price, replacing it in  2 years would be fine with me I think. Looks like the Contender 65 has the no rethread harness.

Oh, and my kids don't STAY big....they just are born big. The 4 year old is still only 37 pounds. 

Edited by ktgrok

I like a Nextfit for babies.  It goes from small babies to a good sized kid.  Though Chicco did just come out with the Fit2, which is a bucket, but is rather nifty.  It changes the recline and has a headrest that extends to make it go to age 2 (and isn't much bigger than the Keyfit).  It might be worth a consideration if you think of changing to a forward facing 5pt/booster combo seat later.

The huge side head things were awful, so we were down to the foonf and the primo viaggio and based on our tiny car, we went with the primo viaggio. We actually tried a ton of seats in our car and only 2 fit :/ We didn't use it until he was over a year, but it has held a 6lb newborn well, and I'm pleased with it.

Easy to install, comfortable, high rear-facing weight limit, 65-pound overall limit, but doesn't have 10 million reclining positions, cup holder is extra and is $$$.

My youngest (almost 3) is in a Chicco Nextfit. She's still RF in it comfortably at 30lbs, and she's 90% height. It looks comfier than any other car seat we've had. I would also look at the Britax convertibles that you can adjust without reinstalling if I were buying again today.

ETA: She was my smallest newborn at 8.5 lbs, and it worked well. There's a removable insert (part of the seat, NOT an unsafe aftermarket thing) for babies.

Edited by zoobie

Graco Extend 2 fit

I had another excellent, cute, super safe seat. It was NOT for big babies. My latest kid is a BEAST and he grew out of it by the time he was 9 months old. It was supposed to go through til they need a booster.

Enter Extend 2 fit for the save.

We are currently using a Graco MyRide 65, but I would rethink that if I were to start over. Dh picked it out and ordered it without my knowledge. I decided it was fine, but I've realized it's HUGE and in some ways that's a bad thing. In other ways it's fine because it has two cup holders which we love (we put a stuffed toy or food in one side and once in a while a drink in the other side). We make a few long trips during the year (3 or so hours) and frequently make 45 min. drives so I figure at least it looks fairy comfy.

The thing is, it's one of the larger models of convertible seats. Dh is tall. We cannot put her in the middle or behind the driver's seat because dh and I share a car and he also prefers to drive when we go out as a family. We have a booster seat for ds behind the driver's side and her huge carseat behind the passenger side. My tech friend sent me a picture of a few different car seats with side by side comparison. It is clear from the photos that the Graco My Ride is on the larger side as it's similar to one of the larger ones in the photo (the photo showed a model called Apt 50. Looks like Cosco makes that one). This may or may not matter in your van.

My toddler is 2 and kinda slouches in her seat so I haven't adjusted the harness lately. But here is a video on it:

The woman in the video says she can't use that seat rear facing on her third row?? Edited by heartlikealion

Thank! I'm now looking more at the Graco Contender 65, which has just the one cup holder, isn't as huge, and has the no rethread harness (which I really really want). Space isn't a huge deal really, but good to know. We'd have it in the second row, I can't imagine putting an infant in the third row..I want the one that can't buckle themselves easier to access!  Will definitely be in the second row, although now sure which spot yet. 

• Like 1

Wait, earlier did you mean MyRide 65 or Contender 65? I didn't realize Graco had more than one 65.

doesn't matter, just saw your new post lol

I saw a meme comparing Graco 4Ever Extend2Fit vs Graco Extend2Fit. I'm so confused. I thought the 4Ever didn't extend. So there's actually one called Graco 4Ever Extend2fit apparently. Anyway, the gist of the meme was that they are basically the same but one is more babyish and when your child is ready for the booster they probably wouldn't want the 4 Ever design?

Also, I stumbled upon this. Apparently there were a few recalls due to a label being wrong? I don't know how that affects the seat installation or what it means.

http://csftl.org/recall-graco-extend2fit

Edited by heartlikealion

Wait, earlier did you mean MyRide 65 or Contender 65? I didn't realize Graco had more than one 65.

doesn't matter, just saw your new post lol

I saw a meme comparing Graco 4Ever Extend2Fit vs Graco Extend2Fit. I'm so confused. I thought the 4Ever didn't extend. So there's actually one called Graco 4Ever Extend2fit apparently. Anyway, the gist of the meme was that they are basically the same but one is more babyish and when your child is ready for the booster they probably wouldn't want the 4 Ever design?

Also, I stumbled upon this. Apparently there were a few recalls due to a label being wrong? I don't know how that affects the seat installation or what it means.

http://csftl.org/recall-graco-extend2fit

The Graco 4ever Extend2Fit just came out recently. 

Side note: Every year in Oct and April (I think?) there is something called the ABC Expo in Las Vegas.  It's a showcase of all the new baby and child items coming out (though Chicco did release their Fit2 with little fanfare in Dec rather than at the show).  You can see slideshows and video of the various booths there online.  Some of the products are fascinating. Some are meh.  It's always interesting, though!  And if you're looking for a car seat it's the first place to see the new features. :)  (plus see which companies will be having their older products go on sale because they're making minor changes to an existing product, like a new seat cover pattern).

• Like 1

My Evenflo has where you squeeze the straps at the top and it allowed you to move the straps up and down. I love this! I hate having to uninstall and re-install to adjust the straps to a different height. It used to be called the Triumph, but I think it might have a different name now.

I have loved my Radians for my 9lb and 9lb 10oz newborns.  My kids rear face in them until around 4 years. They are like your kids in that they are big at birth, but not so much later.  Be prepared for people to be confused about why you can't just bring the baby inside in the carseat. I've had to explain surprisingly often that the carseat stays in the car.

Is it bad that I have six kids and am still not sure what is meant by a convertible car seat? Like, convertible to a booster or something?

We used britax marathons with the older kids and no baby bucket at all, just cloth wraps for carriers. Then when I finally ran out of hands we got a britax b-safe and b-ready stroller combo which was very useful, and when we outgrew that we got a clek fllo. The baby is also in the b-safe and we will likely get him another clek, as they fit better with a bunch of other car seats than the marathons did.

Is it bad that I have six kids and am still not sure what is meant by a convertible car seat? Like, convertible to a booster or something?

We used britax marathons with the older kids and no baby bucket at all, just cloth wraps for carriers. Then when I finally ran out of hands we got a britax b-safe and b-ready stroller combo which was very useful, and when we outgrew that we got a clek fllo. The baby is also in the b-safe and we will likely get him another clek, as they fit better with a bunch of other car seats than the marathons did.

LOL, convertible means it goes from rear facing newborn to forward facing toddler :)

Planning on using a cloth carrier as well :)

Ah ha, okay. Yes we have used and loved both the britax marathon and clek fllo then. I think the britaxes are more comfortable for them but space might be an issue. Your graco should be on the cushier side like the marathon.

Graco has one that allows rear facing up to 60 50 pounds.  I can't remember which one, but I found it on Amazon.

ETA:  I was wrong, it's rear facing up to 50 pounds.  It's the Extend to Fit convertible seat:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019EGMGR0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=Z764WBELCQ1E&coliid=IB7XIJZ5B7I3Y&th=1

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

I used Radians for my living babies. They all weighed around 9lbs, so they fit at birth. My seven year old is still in his (though will soon get bumped to a Nautilus so I can put a new baby in there: no, it hasn't expired yet), and he's not petite. My three year old is still rear facing in his. 

• Like 1