Menu

Hostess gift idea

AmandaVT

My cousin and her husband invited us to their new home for brunch this weekend. I'd like to bring a hostess gift/congratulations on the new house gift, but I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas right now. 

They are not knick knack people or fussy people at all. Their new home is in the middle of 200 acres and they love to hike and ski.  

I'm contemplating a plant of some kind. Something that they could keep inside and plant in the spring? Does that exist? I also thought about maybe a jar of homemade granola and a bag of good coffee beans. Neither of those sounds exactly right though. 

Any suggestions?

Granola and coffee sounds lovely. Give them in pretty, but neutral, reusable storage containers.

Decorative plants - only if you know that they garden. I would not like having to take care of an indoor plant until spring.

Fancy hand made soap, a bottle of wine, something baked, home made jam. Consumable is good. And easily regiftable (I would for example, re-gift any candles I get)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

It's a great time of year to give a bird feeder and seed. It sounds like they are both outdoorsy and situated to enjoy it, too. Maybe throw in a bird book, too.

I love this idea too.

If you don't want to give a feeder (which would require them to refill later on their own), you can find shaped seed/suet cakes that can be hung on branches. Like this one, shaped like a house. Get a few to put on their property near their house. If you have specialty bird stores in the area, they usually carry things like that.

ETA:

Another idea is paperwhite bulbs planted in a shallow container to keep indoors. They're lovely. This page explains how to plant them. My sil once gave me some in a shallow terra cotta baking dish, planted in pebbles. The flowers were lovely & after they were done growing/blooming, I had a nice baking dish. You don't need potting soil. The linked page explains how to do it.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

If you get a candle, which is a perfect idea, get an unscented beeswax candle. My dear and sweet SIL gets us a candle every year--beautiful sculpted things--but they make me ill even when I open them.

I have ordered from this monastery for many years. Their candles are beautiful. http://www.monasteryofstjohn.org/candles/

ETA: you have no idea how hard it is to get the word "unscented" past auto-correct.