Menu

Help finding cheap flights

Terabith

I would like to go visit a friend, but I would like to do it for under $200. Im totally flexible as to when I go. I'd like to stay about a week, give or take a day. Ideally I would fly out of Greensboro but could also do Charlotte. I'd like to fly into St.Louis but Nashville could also work. Is there a way to look or set alerts for that set of parameters?

• Like 1

Yes. I think they call that an "Agent" on an OTA (Online Travel Agency).   I have several set up on one of the 2 OTAs we use here in Colombia.  With any travel web site you consider buying from, be certain that all taxes, fuel surcharges, security fees, etc., are included in the total price you pay.  Read the Fine Print, before you click to buy.  Set up some "Agents" for the different city pairs that would be acceptable to you (Origin Airport to Destination   Airport).  I am in the  Frequent Flyers clubs of the 3 airlines that we use (Avianca, Latam and COPA, we live in Colombia) and am already receiving emails from COPA, about very low fares. This is an "off peak" season, now that the kids are back in school.   If you are flexible, just set a price that you will be happy with, and when you come up with that price, or lower, check the schedules (total elapsed time between Origin and Destination) and then click to buy and print out your Boarding Passes, ASAP.  Have a nice trip!

How much are checked bags?

It's $25 if you buy at the time you purchase your flight. It's more at the airport. They charge for carry ons that go in the overhead compartment as well. However, each person is allowed a personal item like a backpack that will fit under a seat.

Don't fly Allegiant.  I did for a funeral recently and it didn't go well.  Not a single flight was within 3 hours of our ticket time, not because there were weather issues, but because they had so many planes out of commission they had to charter another airline to fill in for them.  The gates weren't labeled in their sections of the airport, there was no agents there to help when things went wrong.  We paid extra for the family to sit together (baby under 1), and they mixed all the seats up and never offered a refund. By the time all the extra fees were paid it would have cost only $24 more to fly Delta, with significantly better customer service.

Since then I've learned Allegiant is FOUR TIMES more likely to have a catastrophic failure because their average plane is TWICE as old as the industry average.  Seriously for a bit of extra advance planning and less than $50 difference, use kayak and try to fly Delta.  It's worth paying more than twice as much to not have the safety issues and frustration.

• Like 1