Menu

Turning a garage into a room

maize

Do you live in a climate where you need it to be well insulated?  That would be the determining factor for me.

ALthough I do know someone who built a wall 6 inches inside the garage and left the garage door so that it could be put back into a garage if needed.

• Like 2

Do you live in a climate where you need it to be well insulated? That would be the determining factor for me.

ALthough I do know someone who built a wall 6 inches inside the garage and left the garage door so that it could be put back into a garage if needed.

We definitely need good insulation but have considered the false wall inside the door option.

• Like 1

For me it would depend on resale if I would preserve the ability to return it to a garage easily. Here, houses with converted garages or that never had a garage are common and in most instances, the garage being converted (especially in a smaller home) is not going to restrict the owner's ability to sell the house. In some areas, selling a house without a garage is very difficult. The most common garage conversion I see is making it into an extra bedroom in front and, if large enough, a bathroom or utility room in back. These are especially common in houses that were previously ~1000sf 2 or 3 bedroom/1 bath houses.

• Like 5

I'd check local zoning law, too. Adding door, windows, etc might make it a "room" and might need inspections, permits. When selling, you want to be able to prove it was legally converted into a playroom (bedroom as far as zoning law may see it). Just my thoughts.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 3

We are in process (I had hoped to be done by now :glare:  :leaving:) and since resale value may be an issue in the future, we are going with insulating the actual doors, locking them from inside, storing the garage door openers (to reinstall later if needed) and hanging heavy drapes to cover from view (our doors have windows in the top panel, so those will be uncovered).

We looked into adding windows on the sides to add more light, but decided against as that would require permits.

• Like 2

We did a partial garage conversion in our last house many moons ago. I needed an office, so we enclosed one side of the garage, but left room at the front near the garage door. We were able to duct existing AC in there. I put down some carpet, installed a good ceiling light, finished and painted walls, and hung a window looking mirror at the end so it looked sort of like we had outside light.  

We liked that the house looked 'normal' from the outside. We got a lot of use out of that small area for a couple of years before we moved. The new owners loved the space--instant play room. We never parked a car in the other side--used that for storage.

So I say go temporary and use the heck out of the space you make.

• Like 1

Over half of the houses on our street have a permanent garage conversion, including ours. (Our conversion could be ripped out and restored if necessary.) We have half-acre lots with 1960s ranch houses that are 1000 to 1300 sf, so we finish the garage for house space, and then build a garage. Building the new garage is necessary for resale; our climate is harsh enough in winter that nobody's going to buy a house with no garage in a neighborhood like ours.

Most of the new garages are detached, but my driveway is a little longer than usual so we're planning to add an attached garage right in front of the garage we finished, to be as frugal and easy as possible about it. Hoping to get that done within the next three years. DH did the conversion in such a way that he could undo it himself when the kids move out (it's being used as an apartment for the son in college), but now that we've had the use of that room for awhile, we do want to keep it.

• Like 1

I'd check local zoning law, too. Adding door, windows, etc might make it a "room" and might need inspections, permits. When selling, you want to be able to prove it was legally converted into a playroom (bedroom as far as zoning law may see it). Just my thoughts.

This is true here as well. If you add heating and cooling it becomes "conditioned space" - at least in CA and may require permits.

I am doing a permanent one and according to the council don't need permits if built to code. I worry a little about resale but cars are often kept outside here and the garage isn't big enough for a modern car anyway. I am doing a small bedroom plus a laundry/storage area.

• Like 1