Please make a selection for the Nov/Dec book  

1. 1. Please make a selection for the Nov/Dec book

• Bridge of Sighs
    • Run
    • Snow
    • The Razor's Edge
    • The Painted Veil
    • The Woman in White

I have started a social group for readers and I am posting a poll so the members may vote for our first book selection.

The choices are

Bridge of Sighs (Richard Russo)

Run (Ann Patchett)

Snow (Orhan Pamuk)

The Razor's Edge (W. Somerset Maugham)

The Painted Veil (W. Somerset Maugham)

The Woman in White (Wilkie Collins)

By the way, A Reader's Group is public, so if you are interested in joining us, please do!

My vote is for the Painted Veil.

I'd love to read The Woman in White, but I don't have the time for an 800 page book.

Eeep. I just voted for the WIW not knowing it was 800 pages. I'm reading, "Atlas Shrugged", right now. I'm not sure I can do an 800 pager after that.

I'd change my vote to one of the WSM books.

Eeep. I just voted for the WIW not knowing it was 800 pages. I'm reading, "Atlas Shrugged", right now. I'm not sure I can do an 800 pager after that.

I'd change my vote to one of the WSM books.

How do you like Atlas Shrugged? I read Fountainhead last year, and enjoyed it for the most part (I felt it dragged in plot and philosophy at times), and Atlas Shrugged is on my very, very long list of books to read. My dh listened to it on tape a really enjoyed it.

How do you like Atlas Shrugged? I read Fountainhead last year, and enjoyed it for the most part (I felt it dragged in plot and philosophy at times), and Atlas Shrugged is on my very, very long list of books to read. My dh listened to it on tape a really enjoyed it.

I am actually loving it. Its my first go with Ayn Rand and I wasn't expecting her to be such a engaging writer. I have no idea why I wasn't. I was forcing myself to read it but I actually can't put it down. Someone told me it is much better than The Fountainhead because her philosophy is more solidified by Atlas. I recommend it. It even has some spicy parts...wasn't expecting that.

I voted Snow at the social group' date=' but now I'm thinking The Woman in White would be more fun, so that is what I voted in this poll.:001_smile:[/quote']

Yeah, it looks so good...maybe I'll keep my vote and gut it out. I'm in an IRL book club too though...but I get January's pick so I can make it short. :D

I am actually loving it. Its my first go with Ayn Rand and I wasn't expecting her to be such a engaging writer. I have no idea why I wasn't. I was forcing myself to read it but I actually can't put it down. Someone told me it is much better than The Fountainhead because her philosophy is more solidified by Atlas. I recommend it. It even has some spicy parts...wasn't expecting that.

I preferred Atlas to Fountainhead, too.

Oh, wow, Crissy. Thanks for adding the W. Somerset Maugham choices on there. I appreciate that.

I'd originally wanted to read Painted Veil because I really enjoyed the movie. Then I heard somebody on these boards recommend Razor's Edge and added that to my list.

I've already written about this in the Reader's Group, but I'll add a little to it because it's just too funny.

When I picked up the WSM book I had on hold at the library, the young man there made me laugh because he asked who all these books were for (I had a lot of history books for the kids, too). I told him they were for the kids and that we homeschool, but when he scanned Somerset Maugham's book (it's a compilation) I said that one was for me. He nodded and said, "Yes, this is for highly intelligent people." I think my eyebrows shot up and the other circulation desk personnel were a little flummoxed. He quickly amended that to, "I mean, his books are for older people." So I laughed and said, "Yeah, I think I'll go with that one." :p

He continued talking about some of the other stories in the compilation and why he enjoyed WSM's work. I was distracted by his tone and mannerisms (think of the butler in Dudley Moore's Arthur, but much younger; I think that's what threw me off). Plus he was speaking very quietly and I can't hear very well. Anyway, I think he said something about Razor's Edge being a very good book about looking inside and searching for your spirituality. And then he mentioned Moon and Sixpence being more of a biographical story about Paul Gauguin and how very interesting it was.

It was a very puzzling and entertaining experience, and I secretly hope to see that young man again at the library. :D

Oh, and I also hope one of his books will be on our reading list for the group. Now I just hope this doesn't skew the poll! ;)

When I picked up the WSM book I had on hold at the library, the young man there made me laugh because he asked who all these books were for (I had a lot of history books for the kids, too). I told him they were for the kids and that we homeschool, but when he scanned Somerset Maugham's book (it's a compilation) I said that one was for me. He nodded and said, "Yes, this is for highly intelligent people." I think my eyebrows shot up and the other circulation desk personnel were a little flummoxed. He quickly amended that to, "I mean, his books are for older people." So I laughed and said, "Yeah, I think I'll go with that one." :p

He continued talking about some of the other stories in the compilation and why he enjoyed WSM's work. I was distracted by his tone and mannerisms (think of the butler in Dudley Moore's Arthur, but much younger; I think that's what threw me off). Plus he was speaking very quietly and I can't hear very well. Anyway, I think he said something about Razor's Edge being a very good book about looking inside and searching for your spirituality. And then he mentioned Moon and Sixpence being more of a biographical story about Paul Gauguin and how very interesting it was.

I love those spontaneous conversations that happen at libraries over the books in one's stack!

I joined the group, but I have no vote because I am terribly indecisive. I had never heard of any of the choices. I did follow the links to read a bit about them, but, again, I am terribly indecisive.

That's okay, but you'll read along when a choice is made, right? :)

I voted for Painted Veil before I realized you were asking members of the group. But, then I joined. :001_smile:

I've actually already read Painted Veil, but wouldn't mind reading it again. I found the difference in ending from that in the movie fascinating and worthy of much discussion.

I found the difference in ending from that in the movie fascinating and worthy of much discussion.

Oh, that's interesting! I loved the book (so much so that I'll gladly read it again) but we turned off the movie after just 30 minutes or so. My husband hated it. I've been meaning to rent it again when he's out of town, but I always forget.

Mathematically speaking, that would be an average of almost - but not quite - 20 pages per day to finish WiW by end of Nov.

We're going to shoot for finishing by the end of December, and start our discussion in January.

I thought we'd need some time to get into a routine and work around the holidays.

I voted Woman in White because I'm not familiar with the other selections. It may be a long book, but it sure didn't take me long to get through it the first time.... there was no way I could put it down after the first page. It was very enjoyable (though dark and scary :) ), but I loved The Moonstone by Collins even more.

Hi Crissy,

I looked up the Amazon reviews, I think I would like to read the Woman in White. It's 800 pages is a bit daunting, but it sounds the most appealing, to me. :)

Hi Crissy,

I looked up the Amazon reviews, I think I would like to read the Woman in White. It's 800 pages is a bit daunting, but it sounds the most appealing, to me. :)

It does sound good, doesn't it?

Did you officially join the group yet, Monica? You'll need to do that so you can post there.

Here's a link. Scroll down and click Join Group under the last message.

:)

I voted for "The Razor's Edge" but I am game for whatever majority rules. I may have to play catch-up anyway.

Thats the one I voted for too Paula. :)

We're going to shoot for finishing by the end of December, and start our discussion in January.

I thought we'd need some time to get into a routine and work around the holidays.

Umm... duh. I shoud've read the title of the thread more closely before I whipped out the abacus. :D In that case.... if one started tomorrow, and read an average of ~13.5 pages per day they could finish by Dec 31st. This assumes about 2 wks worth of not reading around the holiday time.

Do I still get an A? :tongue_smilie:

How does Friday sound?

That will give everyone time to vote, and we'll still have plenty of time to locate a copy of the book before November 1.

Or is that dragging it out too long? Is everyone anxious to get started?

Anything sounds good to me...just wondered. I think Friday would be ample time.