Menu

Problems after IUD - so much pain. (tmi content)

Reflections

So ... long story short.  I had to have an unexpected d&c in November to prevent me from bleeding too much during my miscarriage.  The pregnancy was unexpected and happened while I was on the mini pill. I had been having lots of problems with other forms of bc like the contraceptive film and foam and when we made the switch we found ourselves pregnant.  So then we had to find a different form of bc.

I nixed the idea of getting my tubes tied.  There's too many horror story out there about those. No thank you.

I should have listened to my inner self when they suggested the Mirena IUD.  I said Yes anyway.  And on Monday Dec. 19th I had one inserted.  

It was really painful. I had lot of bleeding. Later that night I had a lot of cramping.  By the morning it was just super uncomfortable. Okay, I thought, maybe it'll be okay. By Wednesday night I was thinking there may be a problem.  By Thursday night I knew there was a problem.  By Friday morning I was crying on the phone to the Gyn in terrible terrible pain.  Being the the 23rd they were closing at noon, but they got me in with the NP.  I was in so so much I couldn't walk.  They gave me a shot of muscle relaxer.  And sent me to ultrasound in a wheelchair to make sure it hadn't perforated.  It had not perforated, thank you, but it was twisted or something.  They removed it right then.  There wasn't any blood then.  They sent me home on doxycyclene and told me to take ibuprofin for pain.

The pain didn't stop.  On Monday the 26th I was stuttering a low grade 100.5 fever.  On Tuesday the office opened back up and I was crying on the phone again.  The had me come in and have a CT scan to check things out.  I glow in the dark now.  It's kinda cool.  Anyway, they couldn't find anything.  The quick test for bacteria came back negative. Sent me home with a prescription for some pain relievers.  Tylenol with codeine.  No help.

On Saturday night (yay New Years) I had horrible horrible horrid stabbing cramps and passed a huge bright red clot with a torrent of gushing blood.  But as soon as it started it stopped.  Left in it's wake is daily cramping with pangs of labor like pains with occasionally shooting and stabbing pains and I'm bleeding like a regular period all day.  Way more than spotting, but way less than a bad period can't leave the house kinda day.  The pain is all day. Worse at night.  I can't bend or twist in the slightest.  I have some periods where the pain is hovering out of sight and I'm pretty pain free. Like when I'm sitting with my feet up but even then cramps can start.  The period of pain free times probably adds up to about 2 hours out of the whole day.  Yes, it can and does wake me at night every so often.

I'm in my third week.  I'm losing hope I'll ever be pain free.  I'm crashing mentally.  My house is a mess. Schoolwork is non-existent.  I have a part time job that I can do slowly and without oversite (my boss is on the other side of the country) but I'm contemplating quitting because I was already stretched thin with the job and homeschooling and now, I'm just not homeschooling. Except for board games and Thank God for Teaching Textbooks!! and Youtube.  

I'm trying to control it all with the following:

2 aleve 220mg twice a day

1 extra strength tylenol twice a day

Tramadol for the really really bad times.  But I have to be very careful.  My body over reacts to it and I have already had a bad reaction where I passed out. 

Golden Milk.  Turmeric with honey and pepper in milk.

Hot water bottle.

Baths with epsom salts.

Magnesium supplements. 500mg (I think) at night

Since the tests came back negative or at the most inconclusive I got the very real impression there isn't much they can do for me.  I'm reluctant to go back because I don't think I could stomach another painful round of pelvic exams.

I'm super scared by the way.  I KNOW that there is something more brewing.  At some point my body is going to remember that I should start my period around the 10th or so.  My periods had been bad before.  This one is sure to be really bad.

I'm also super scared that something may go really really wrong and they'll start suggesting a hysterectomy. 

So here I am. Hanging on to the knot I've tied in my rope.  

What more should I be doing?

PS:  sorry it's so long.  You should give yourself a pat on the back or something for making it this far.

I think you need a hysteroscopy to look for the problem. This is not normal. You can get a mild sedative for the procedure, and DEFINITELY insist on a cervical block for it. (I just had the cervical block and it wasn't bad at all. 

I'm like running around screaming in my head  :willy_nilly:  :svengo:  :willy_nilly:  thinking about them doing a hysteroscopy.  I might go back to the doctor this week if the bleeding doesn't let up.   But right now, I'm just so very over being touched by a medical person.

Thank you though.  You're very right. It's not normal. 

This is not normal at all.  Please, go back.  Be the squeaky wheel.  I'm very worried about you.  I'd even consider going to the ER at this point.

I've been playing around with the idea of the ER in my head.  But my gyn is THE guy they ask to come to the ER for stuff like this so there wouldn't be a point unless it was the middle of the night.

It was so cathartic to write it out.  If nothing else, thank you for that.  Thank you listening.  I've not been wanting to share with anyone else in real life.  Most of the moms I'm "friends" with are just rather superficial relationships and this level of sharing feels off somehow.  

I've been playing around with the idea of the ER in my head.  But my gyn is THE guy they ask to come to the ER for stuff like this so there wouldn't be a point unless it was the middle of the night.

Honestly, I'd try and go someplace else if the gyn is not freaking out about you being in this much pain three weeks later.  I have a Mirena.  I had a cramp for 15 seconds or so after insertion.  I went home, took 3 Advil and that was that.

I have not heard of anybody experiencing what you are experiencing.

Is there another hospital that you could go to?  Another gynecologist?  Planned Parenthood?  What about a CNM?

Edited by umsami
  • Like 6

Honestly, I'd try and go someplace else if the gyn is not freaking out about you being in this much pain three weeks later.  I have a Mirena.  I had a cramp for 15 seconds or so after insertion.  I went home, took 3 Advil and that was that.

I have not heard of anybody experiencing what you are experiencing.

Is there another hospital that you could go to?  Another gynecologist?  Planned Parenthood?  What about a CNM?

No one on my insurance anyway.  The nearest next doctor on my insurance is in the next town over 2ish hours away. 

Honestly, I'm gearing up to go in again. I promise.  I just feel like any moment I'll hit on the right set  of pain meds and rest and supplements and it'll be better by tomorrow.  It's just that it's not happening. 

And I so tired of doing this alone.  My husband, loves me, and wants to help, but has to work.  And medical stuff just isn't his thing.  And truly, he just defers to me to make the "medical" decisions - even his.   

On a bright note:  I'm so glad yours is working for you!!  I've heard lots of good things about them from in real life people.  Pretty much fuss free bc is such a bonus!!!

I'm like running around screaming in my head  :willy_nilly:  :svengo:  :willy_nilly:  thinking about them doing a hysteroscopy.  I might go back to the doctor this week if the bleeding doesn't let up.   But right now, I'm just so very over being touched by a medical person.

Thank you though.  You're very right. It's not normal. 

If it helps, my hysteroscopy (with the cervical block) was no worse than a regular pelvic exam. Not painful at al really. Just weird mentally. I chose NOT to watch the the screen for that reason. But like I said, you could ask for some xanax first if you need it. 

• Like 2

A hysteroscopy can also be done under anesthesia. Considering how much pain you are in, I wouldn't recommend one without it.

My advice is to somehow find a way to see another gyn; I think you need a fresh perspective regarding your symptoms.

Oh, that's right!!!! I forgot the doctor said it could be done that way. I'd ask to do that. It's an outpatient procedure, but done at the hospital, and that way if there is something fixable they can fix it while you are under. 

• Like 1

I had a bad IUD. It hurt, mildly, for all 7 months that I had it. I spotted the whole time. It was unpleasant. I felt better immediately when it was pulled. I mean like in that moment, I immediately felt like myself, totally normal. 

I would be concerned about injury. You had a miscarriage, heavy bleeding, D&C and foreign object placed and removed. That's a lot of trauma in a short time. You definitely need to go get checked out. 

• Like 6

I had two Mirena IUDs with only minor cramping and spotting at time of insertion. I had the second one pulled out last February and had horrible labor-like cramps. My gyn thinks it had become lodged in my c-section scar. She decided to wait a week before inserting the new one. I had cramps up until the day before appointment for insertion. At that appointment, she tried for over 30 minutes to get the new one in, but was never able to as I cramped as soon as she touched my cervix. I then had horrible cramps for over two weeks. It totally wasted my entire month of February. I am now bc free, which isn't ideal. But I will never try another IUD, even though I loved my first two. What my gyn said at the time is that some women have very sensitive cervixes. I don't know. But when I was reading about IUDs, I was surprised that other countries insert them under sedation. That would be so much better!

I agree you should go back to the doctor, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was "just" lingering pain from all you have been through. Hugs!

• Like 2

I had two Mirena IUDs with only minor cramping and spotting at time of insertion. I had the second one pulled out last February and had horrible labor-like cramps. My gyn thinks it had become lodged in my c-section scar. She decided to wait a week before inserting the new one. I had cramps up until the day before appointment for insertion. At that appointment, she tried for over 30 minutes to get the new one in, but was never able to as I cramped as soon as she touched my cervix. I then had horrible cramps for over two weeks. It totally wasted my entire month of February. I am now bc free, which isn't ideal. But I will never try another IUD, even though I loved my first two. What my gyn said at the time is that some women have very sensitive cervixes. I don't know. But when I was reading about IUDs, I was surprised that other countries insert them under sedation. That would be so much better!

I agree you should go back to the doctor, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was "just" lingering pain from all you have been through. Hugs!

That's pretty much what they said when I left last time.  That I was just having a bad inflammatory reaction.  

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I hope you find some relief soon. With that much pain and inflammation, I'd be tempted to try freezing some condom "water balloons" to insert for 3-5 minutes several times per day to reduce inflammation.

I had a bad IUD (copper, non-hormonal) too. I honestly can't even remember much about it - such as how long I had it. Somewhere between 3 and 5 months, I think. I remember a slight crampy feeling, BUT the reason I have such vague memories is the fact that I bled- heavily - for between 18 and 25 days per month for as long as I had it. I was a zombie by the time it was removed, lucky to remember my own name most days. That time in my life is very much a blur - any milestones my kids reached then are not part of my memory bank.

• Like 1

This sounds awful! I really hope they are going to figure it out and get it taken care of. It seems so sad that you might lose your job. You can always make up three weeks of home schooling but a job where your boss is flexible is great! I am so sorry. IME pain comes from something, you are not being a complainer to take action.

• Like 1

I've had three Mirenas and the third is still in place.  I've had no more than mild cramping the day of insertion.   A friend has just had one inserted with similar effects.

I think you should see a doctor very soon. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Sorry. I had two really bad weeks after getting a copper IUD. The pain dissipated after that, but it caused me a great deal of trouble in general (like shortening my cycle slightly while doubling the length of my period! probably not an issue with Mirena) and I had it removed after only 2 years. I think they're just not for everyone.

OP, there is something to be gained by going back in.  Unless you've been phoning in every day, there is no way for the doctor to know that you re STILL in pain!  

I know it really, really, really, sucks, but please consider going back.  It shouldn't be about finding the right combo of meds- pain meds just cover symptoms, they aren't "fixing" anything.  

Maybe you need a heavy-duty anti-inflammatory.  Maybe you need antibiotics.  Maybe you do need to be scoped.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 5

I'd also go back, but it does sound to me that it could be a bodily reaction rather than an injury - of all the bad stories I've heard about bc from friends, the IUD ones were the only ones that seemed pretty horrific and also surprisingly common.  I'd do a tubal ligation in a second rather than have an IUD.

OP, there is something to be gained by going back in.  Unless you've been phoning in every day, there is no way for the doctor to know that you re STILL in pain!  

I know it really, really, really, sucks, but please consider going back.  It shouldn't be about finding the right combo of meds- pain meds just cover symptoms, they aren't "fixing" anything.  

Maybe you need a heavy-duty anti-inflammatory.  Maybe you need antibiotics.  Maybe you do need to be scoped.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I know when my sister had an IUD out in the first time it was very painful, so the second time they had her take 8 Advil before insertion and go home and take 3 more.

My mother had terrible terrible issues with IUDs (and pills).  So I never got one myself.  I got a tubal and never had an issue. 

The issues are unusual, but not unheard of.

I don't really have anything else to say that hasn't already been said.  Just offering that I know of someone who had major major issues with an IUD. 

I'd also go back, but it does sound to me that it could be a bodily reaction rather than an injury - of all the bad stories I've heard about bc from friends, the IUD ones were the only ones that seemed pretty horrific and also surprisingly common.  I'd do a tubal ligation in a second rather than have an IUD.

Except she hasn't had the IUD in for weeks...seems weird to still be having a reaction so much time after having it taken out. 

• Like 4

Except she hasn't had the IUD in for weeks...seems weird to still be having a reaction so much time after having it taken out. 

Well, I don't know - it almost sounds like it set off some sort of hormonal thing.  Also, irritation and inflammation can sometimes be self-sustaining even after the original irritant is removed.

Edited by Bluegoat