Menu

If you've had ANY measure of success with crystal growing kits -

BlsdMama

HELP!  

:D

We have the "ultimate" kit (roll eyes) and it says to use the "geode mold" which probably means the cup??  There are no pictures.  The last crystal was a bust and I'm hoping this one goes better.  If anyone has tips, tricks, etc., OR knows what they mean by "geode mold" I am open to suggestions!

Sincerely,

The mother of a disappointed 8 year old

We have one, but it came with the geode mold, plaster of paris, and crystal stuff.

Our easiest kits came from Dollar Tree. They worked well. (So does making your own with Epsom salt or sugar)

Mine supposedly came with the mold too but since there aren't pictures and nothing is labeled, I'm not sure what they are talking about? The wavy cup maybe? What does your look like?

I looked online but I'm not having much luck.

Mine supposedly came with the mold too but since there aren't pictures and nothing is labeled, I'm not sure what they are talking about? The wavy cup maybe? What does your look like?

I looked online but I'm not having much luck.

Mine looks like a clear plastic mold in the shape of half an egg-shaped rock.

Do you have pipecleaners?  You could always bend those into funky shapes and put them in the solution rather than doing it in the mold.

For quick results and a fun project, I suggest the borax crystal "snowflakes" from the link below. Although time varies, we have been able to watch the crystals form right before our eyes. You do not need a kit and perhaps can salvage the project:

http://www.marthastewart.com/297092/borax-crystal-snowflakes

There are many other sources for this. We have had good success without any food coloring.

• Like 1

For quick results and a fun project, I suggest the borax crystal "snowflakes" from the link below. Although time varies, we have been able to watch the crystals form right before our eyes. You do not need a kit and perhaps can salvage the project:

http://www.marthastewart.com/297092/borax-crystal-snowflakes

There are many other sources for this. We have had good success without any food coloring.

I second this project.  We had crystals overnight!  The crystals were clear (even with food coloring), but we used different colors of pipe cleaners to achieve different colored snowflakes.   I highly recommend this simple recipe over any kit we've ever tried.

Did you get your crystals to grow?

Usually the problem is that you didn't manage to create a supersaturated solution, where as it cools the crystals fall out of solution. You can add more solute...but in the case of a kit I imagine you added a packet and do not have more. You can also force a super-saturated solution by increasing the temperature (think of Southern ice tea-you have to add the sugar to boiling water just to get the sugar to mix in. That is a super-satuarated solution, and why you often get sugar crystals in the bottom of it once it has been iced).

If it still hasn't started crystallizing, try putting it in the dark fridge as cooling it below room temp in a dark undesturbed place is optimal for crystal growth:)

• Like 1

I had the best luck doing our own. We did 3 using borax, Epsom salts, and alum. We hung string down into the jars so the crystals had something to grow on. All of them achieved some level of success. They each have their own crystal pattern which was nice to compare as well.