Menu

Moana the movie

Night Elf

It was excellent! A movie without potty humor or too much scariness. As an adult I enjoyed it. The final scene with the lava person was not scary for my 8 year old but too much for my 4/5 year old. I would say probably 6 and up, maybe 7 and up, or younger if you cover eyes/skip a bit of the movie.

We loved Moana! Loved it enough that I sent $ so the grandkids could see it (living 1000+ miles away stinks!) and they all liked it except the 2 year old. She's recently fallen in love with Frozen and wasn't interested in Moana. 

It was funny and touching and the music was good. 

I enjoyed it. No really sad parts, and the general consensus from Polynesians is that while the fact that cultures are conflated is annoying, and Maui is definitely not true to how he ought to be portrayed, it's not a super racist flick. So yay!

Of course, the second we walked out of the movie I realized I ought to have done a mini-lesson on Polynesian navigation before we saw it. I read a really cool article on the subject a month or two ago. Sigh. We did our article review *after* the movie. (I can link to it if you like, but gimme a few minutes to find it.)

• Like 1