Menu

Trying to Get in Christmas Spirit

Terabith

And really just failing. It's been a hard couple months. I was hospitalized three times for severe depression. Had the virus from hell. Threw out my back. I'm just feeling very unprepared, unfestive, overwhelmed.

I'm tired. I'm still doing that battle of, "Do I take the painkillers for my back and fall asleep or not and try to have human energy but be unable to take deep breaths because of pain."

I'm really doing fine. Everyone is ok. I'm much better mentally. I no longer have a fever or am actually ill. I'm just still exhausted and not really fully functioning either. I'm frustrated with DMV saga of being unable to drive because of having suicidal ideation while hospitalized.

And I'm just not feeling right. Out of it. Lingering headache. Blahs.

Thanks. And maybe I'm not 100% well yet. Just so tired, with this lingering achiness. I know I've been so grumpy.

Give yourself permission to take whatever time you need to heal. The best advice I ever got from a counselor was "don't "should" on yourself."

Back injuries take a long time. So do mental health issues. 

• Like 4

I'm sorry for what you've been through.  I can't imagine dealing with intense pain on top of everything else.  I have been through an emotionally difficult Christmas.

I'd start by taking away self-expectations.  Maybe your dh could pick up Christmas dinner from the local deli.  Or order pizza.  Add a little Christmas music in the background, or watch a Christmas movie.  Can you set up a bed for yourself in the living room or where everyone is?  (On the couch, etc.)  

Can you hire one of your children to wrap presents?  Or just wrap ribbons around everything and leave it at that!

I'd definitely take the pain meds at night to help you sleep well.

Watching my kids being happy does fulfill something in my heart.  Can you think of a craft your kids could do together that would be fun and different for them?  And you could just sit or lie down on the couch and watch.  One that doesn't require your help at all.  A step-by-step kit that your dh could pick up at Target.  Even if it makes a mess! 

I don't pretend to know what it's like for you, but these are a few things I could think of.

Take care!   :grouphug:

Sometimes I find I just have to fake it.

Like my mind and body have forgotten how to be happy and festive.

And, faking it does seem to help reset things.

This is my take as well. I'm not a big holiday person so it's always a challenge for me, some years more so than others. I've found it isn't necessary for me to feel festive to make a Christmas happen for my family.  

I suggest doing the things that will work towards that minimal goal, but will take the stress off of you. Plan for carry-out or pre-prepared food. Use festive paper plates and disposable cups to save yourself the dishes. (Heck, start using paper plates now to cut down on dishes for the rest of the week.) Use gift bags instead of wrapping paper.

• Like 2

I'm sorry for what you've been through.  I can't imagine dealing with intense pain on top of everything else.  I have been through an emotionally difficult Christmas.

I'd start by taking away self-expectations.  Maybe your dh could pick up Christmas dinner from the local deli.  Or order pizza.  Add a little Christmas music in the background, or watch a Christmas movie.  Can you set up a bed for yourself in the living room or where everyone is?  (On the couch, etc.)  

Can you hire one of your children to wrap presents?  Or just wrap ribbons around everything and leave it at that!

I'd definitely take the pain meds at night to help you sleep well.

Watching my kids being happy does fulfill something in my heart.  Can you think of a craft your kids could do together that would be fun and different for them?  And you could just sit or lie down on the couch and watch.  One that doesn't require your help at all.  A step-by-step kit that your dh could pick up at Target.  Even if it makes a mess! 

I don't pretend to know what it's like for you, but these are a few things I could think of.

Take care!   :grouphug:

This.  

I am so sorry for all you are going through.  Sending some hugs.