Menu

Rebuilding Gut Flora- Suggestions

Soror

So far this fall I've had pneumonia and an accompanying batch of super strong anti-biotics, mega dose Difulcan to fight the yeast from the antibiotics, an exposure to gluten and the stomach flu. My digestion just feels off and I'm bloating all too often. 

I'm thinking I need to work on getting some good bacteria in there and healing my gut-

- I was going to add back in l-glutamine as I know the studies show that it works well

- a good probiotic- I know this has been discussed on past threads as to which ones are worthwhile but I didn't have luck searching

-fermented foods?? I don't know if there is any research to back this up(unless I've missed it) but it seems it might be good to add some more in- I go in spurts with these but haven't had much lately- dairy isn't my friend- and I know dairy digestion is often impaired after stomach bugs anyway but I've made coco yogurt in the past and some fermented veggies on hand

Anything else to look at?

If you can get an Rx - VSL #3. Otherwise, vary your probiotics between good brands. I'm currently on Culturelle but I rotate between many.

Absolutely add in S. Boulardii. Florastor has been used extensively in lab testing, so that's my preferred brand.

You may want to work with an integrative meds doc. Getting my gut flora back on track was a huge deal and required a lot of work and supplements. Many specific to my gut, after a lot of testing.

Did you mention Lyme testing on another thread? I don't have the energy for a long reply but - Igenex for testing. Looks like you got explanations about why testing is unreliable. Quest and Labcorp are not good, igenex is the best. There are other issues that could be going on - testing for those could require other labs. I used Igenex in CA and Fry Labs in AZ.

• Like 2

My husband grabbed these for me at the grocery store, while I was too sick to pick out anything for myself. They worked!

http://www.probiotics.naturemade.com/index.html

I think the idea of gelatin is great, too. Also remember that the gut membranes have a lot of fat in them. You don't need to eat french fries every day, but a very low-fat diet is not recommended.

• Like 1

Florastor, I've heard of that one and Cuterelle. 

I do love Kombucha but I've not been drinking much lately.

I do have grassfed gelatin frequently, I put it in my smoothies. 

I eat plenty of fat, I don't work well with low fat. 

I do have an integrative medicine doctor to discuss gut with, we've worked on it before and really felt that it was pretty good until this stuff. One of the major things I did was l-glutamine mix with other things but when I did the research l-glutamine was the primary factor.

My kid with an immune deficiency had major issues with florastor (s. boulardii).

Costco pharmacy sells VSL#3 ($50, IIRC).  I usually buy Nature's Way Optima colon support (90 million) in the refrigerator section at the vitamin store ($30) - my dd15 likes this one.

My latest angle: pterostilbene and the gut (LOL I'm always working an angle)

• Like 1

My kid with an immune deficiency had major issues with florastor (s. boulardii).

Costco pharmacy sells VSL#3 ($50, IIRC).  I usually buy Nature's Way Optima colon support (90 million) in the refrigerator section at the vitamin store ($30) - my dd15 likes this one.

My latest angle: pterostilbene and the gut (LOL I'm always working an angle)

You're always up on the latest and greatest! I just ordered Florastor but I'll try VSL#3 next. Interesting about pterstilbene.

Edited by soror

I had to rebuild my gut flora after a lifethreatening bout with c diff.

--Florastor: fabulous probiotic that specifically combats c diff. A good one to take for anyone post or during antibiotics. Take at a separate time from other probiotics.

--Align: Exceptionally well researched and reliable. 

--Acidophilus for ongoing yeast management.

--Yoghurt

--Kefir

--Kombucha is a probiotic. However, it is also a stimulant both because of a stimulant is created chemically in the fermentation process AND because it is often fermented from caffeinated tea. I cannot have kombucha at all because of the anxiety it causes and because it will keep me awake all night. 

--Sauerkraut. I often have a spoonful on salads or on a meat sandwich. Look for the kind that is packed in water, not vinegar. 

• Like 1

Also consider a strict no sugar, no grains diet for a minimum of two months in order to stop feeding the yeast. The first week is really hard and you will feel awful as the yeast dies off. Lots of cravings. However, it gets much better. Within two weeks the worst of it is done. Within two months you will find you dropped a lot of weight and you feel much, much more energy. Plus your taste buds orient away from sugar and suddenly food tastes amazing.

• Like 2

I had to rebuild my gut flora after a lifethreatening bout with c diff.

--Florastor: fabulous probiotic that specifically combats c diff. A good one to take for anyone post or during antibiotics. Take at a separate time from other probiotics.

--Align: Exceptionally well researched and reliable. 

--Acidophilus for ongoing yeast management.

--Yoghurt

--Kefir

--Kombucha is a probiotic. However, it is also a stimulant both because of a stimulant is created chemically in the fermentation process AND because it is often fermented from caffeinated tea. I cannot have kombucha at all because of the anxiety it causes and because it will keep me awake all night. 

--Sauerkraut. I often have a spoonful on salads or on a meat sandwich. Look for the kind that is packed in water, not vinegar. 

Thank you for your first-hand experience, that must have been terrifying. Do you feel you are back to normal now? How long did it take? How much probiotics and fermented food do you eat for maintenance now?

I was thinking I will aim for 5g of l-glutamine, probiotics and a bit of fermented food (of some sort daily). 

I've already ordered the Florastor and will add Align to my list, as of now I want to just try 1 at a time.

I love kombucha and although I don't generally do stimulants either I've never had an issue with kombucha keeping me awake. I just wish I had better luck making it b/c it is expensive to buy (which is why I haven't been drinking it lately- haven't had any since last I snatched some half-off a month or so ago)

I actually have the stuff to make dairy free yogurt now(I use coco milk) but just haven't gotten around to it lately(I just ordered some more coco milk, hopefully that means I'll get off my butt and make some). I especially love it in smoothies. I don't have any Sauerkraut on hand but do have naturally fermented ginger and relish, I do love the ginger on homemade wraps and bowls. I've just been slacking all around, not feeling well you get out of the routine. 

Also consider a strict no sugar, no grains diet for a minimum of two months in order to stop feeding the yeast. The first week is really hard and you will feel awful as the yeast dies off. Lots of cravings. However, it gets much better. Within two weeks the worst of it is done. Within two months you will find you dropped a lot of weight and you feel much, much more energy. Plus your taste buds orient away from sugar and suddenly food tastes amazing.

Heaven help me I already have more experience with this than I'd like. Last round I did about 9 months a couple of years ago after being diagnosed with Hashi's. I did SCD diet 11ish years ago and have been mostly paleo since then. I had gotten pretty lax as of late and have been trying to clean it up lately. The only problem is too low carb is bad for my thyroid, so I have to work at getting enough of other carbs or I have wicked insomnia and just general low energy. 

Miso soup

I've not had Miso in ages! 

Edited by soror

http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.com

Don't forget to feed your gut flora. All the probiotics won't help much if there is little for them to eat. Also, remember, many probiotics are helpful when you take them, but not necessarily good at colonizing the gut.

The blog I posted a link to has lots of info about feeding your gut flora with prebiotics, soluble fiber, and resistant starch. Look through the comments, especially by Wilbur.

• Like 1

http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.com

Don't forget to feed your gut flora. All the probiotics won't help much if there is little for them to eat. Also, remember, many probiotics are helpful when you take them, but not necessarily good at colonizing the gut.

The blog I posted a link to has lots of info about feeding your gut flora with prebiotics, soluble fiber, and resistant starch. Look through the comments, especially by Wilbur.

I've read just a bit about this, funny thing I recognize that blogger as he posts on Mark's Daily Apple, he is obsessed with potatoes.

Edited by soror

Hi!

Thank you for your first-hand experience, that must have been terrifying. Do you feel you are back to normal now? How long did it take? How much probiotics and fermented food do you eat for maintenance now?

It was indeed terrifying. Definitely a crossroads in our lives. Yes and no re normal. I am engaged in all normal activities. However, my system is much more finicky now. When I left the hospital, I took huge amounts of probiotics--10-20 pills per day along with daily kefir, yoghurt, and sauerkraut. (My doctors blessed the probiotics intake.) At this point two years out, I take Florastor at night and during the day I take Align and acidophilus (1 each). I eat fermented food if I feel like it. I manage to get some each week, but it has not been daily this semester. I kinda think I should eat more, but life is so crazy-busy I am just doing my best.

I was thinking I will aim for 5g of l-glutamine, probiotics and a bit of fermented food (of some sort daily). 

I've already ordered the Florastor and will add Align to my list, as of now I want to just try 1 at a time.

I love kombucha and although I don't generally do stimulants either I've never had an issue with kombucha keeping me awake. I just wish I had better luck making it b/c it is expensive to buy (which is why I haven't been drinking it lately- haven't had any since last I snatched some half-off a month or so ago)

I actually have the stuff to make dairy free yogurt now(I use coco milk) but just haven't gotten around to it lately(I just ordered some more coco milk, hopefully that means I'll get off my butt and make some). I especially love it in smoothies. I don't have any Sauerkraut on hand but do have naturally fermented ginger and relish, I do love the ginger on homemade wraps and bowls. I've just been slacking all around, not feeling well you get out of the routine. 

Any naturally fermented food is good.

Heaven help me I already have more experience with this than I'd like. Last round I did about 9 months a couple of years ago after being diagnosed with Hashi's. I did SCD diet 11ish years ago and have been mostly paleo since then. I had gotten pretty lax as of late and have been trying to clean it up lately. The only problem is too low carb is bad for my thyroid, so I have to work at getting enough of other carbs or I have wicked insomnia and just general low energy. 

I've not had Miso in ages! 

• Like 1

I love sauerkraut. If you've never made your own it's worth a try. I make 40 pounds at a time. We like it on rice and beans, as a side garnish, or really on top of anything! You can also make homemade soda if you don't like kombucha. Here's a recipe for ginger ale: http://wellnessmama.com/8945/ginger-ale/

Thank you! I have made Sauerkraut and various other fermented veggies. My results have been mixed and since developing thyroid disease I haven't been very good about homemade stuff so I've been buying high-quality pre-made versions. I actually LOVE kombucha but I don't always love what I make homemade, I find it finicky, or perhaps it is I'm just not an expert. Every time I make it, everything is fabulous for awhile and then it goes off and is just not as yummy, then I neglect it and finally give up. 

I actually LOVE kombucha but I don't always love what I make homemade, I find it finicky, or perhaps it is I'm just not an expert. Every time I make it, everything is fabulous for awhile and then it goes off and is just not as yummy, then I neglect it and finally give up. 

Oh, that's no big deal. Take out a tbsp to use as a starter, then tip the rest out, wash the vessel and start over. 

A friend of mine brews it to her satisfaction, then tips it into containers to store in the fridge while she brews more. I don't, so I dilute it when it gets a little vinegary and I haven't got around to topping it up.

She's was using saffron and cinnamon tea from Aldi until they ran out. I'm using some white tea with chrysanthemum and goji berry from a Chinese grocer atm. It's all in the flavourings… 

So far this fall I've had pneumonia and an accompanying batch of super strong anti-biotics, mega dose Difulcan to fight the yeast from the antibiotics, an exposure to gluten and the stomach flu. My digestion just feels off and I'm bloating all too often.

I'm thinking I need to work on getting some good bacteria in there and healing my gut-

- I was going to add back in l-glutamine as I know the studies show that it works well

- a good probiotic- I know this has been discussed on past threads as to which ones are worthwhile but I didn't have luck searching

-fermented foods?? I don't know if there is any research to back this up(unless I've missed it) but it seems it might be good to add some more in- I go in spurts with these but haven't had much lately- dairy isn't my friend- and I know dairy digestion is often impaired after stomach bugs anyway but I've made coco yogurt in the past and some fermented veggies on hand

Anything else to look at?

Natren is the only probiotic brand I trust. Very high quality, in-house produced (vs. bulk purchased and brand-packaged). Start with the 3 pack Healthy Start System.