Menu

Child sized oven mitts? (Real, not play)

happypamama

Will he be using a toaster oven or some such?

And adult size oven would be problematic for a young child to use safely; their arms are not long enough to reach past the door when open.

Yeah, I'm thinking toaster oven, maybe even stovetop with help. I don't think I'd have him put stuff in or out of the oven.

• Like 1

That's cute! Do you have a link? Amazon has several, but I wasn't sure which ones were actually good.

Thanks Amazon for saving my previous orders! https://smile.amazon.com/Curious-Chef-Kids-Child-Mitt/dp/B0062VN7GA/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1481381535&sr=1-1&keywords=curious%2Bchef%2Bkids%2Bchild%2Bchef%2Bmitt%2Bset&th=1

They have gone up in price and are no longer Prime eligible, but maybe you can order them elsewhere. I also bought him a real chef's hat which he wears all the time. It's a men's hat but adjustable so it fits, its nicer than the kid versions I have seen. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FH0TJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

If you want a cookbook, Pretend Soup and others by Mollie Katzen are great for that age.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1883672066/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1883672066

These books are great! They have the recipes in conventional format and also in picture form.

Two tips from pretend soup that worked great:

using a cookbook stand to hold the recipe book and also using an electric skillet at a table instead of having a child stand on something to reach the stove.

• Like 1

We have a pair of the Curious Chef mitts and, honestly, I use them even more than the kids. I have such small hands, the big adult mitts sometimes slide off and I drop things.

Seconding a cookbook stand as well. We have a wood one with an adjustable tilt that stores flat in a cabinet. It also works great for propping up copywork and dividing boys who keep messing with each other instead of getting their stinking seat work done.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

Can you teach him to use an implement like a fork to pull stuff out of toaster oven? That's what I usually do anyway :)

MIL set a friend's house on fire using a metal fork to retrieve something from a toaster. 

I taught dd to use wooden or silicone toast tongs to remove anything from a toaster.

• Like 2

I was just a William Sonoma and they had the cutest JR. oven mitt that works for real. It was in a section with a kid's recipe book and a chef's jacket, etc.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/1174270/?catalogId=27&sku=1174270&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&kwid=productads-adid^52929355183-device^c-plaid^105890678743-sku^1174270-adType^PLA&gclid=CM7q6M3h6tACFcaEswodZPgEJA

It is not cheap, but it felt really substantial!

• Like 1

Thank you all!  Amazon was out of the Curious Chef mitts, but I was able to order them directly from the CC website.  (I have small hands too, so maybe I'll end up ordering myself a pair too!)

He has a chef's hat, and we have some kids' cookbooks already.  I'm making him an apron in his favorite color, because the only kid-sized aprons we have are very girly since they were his big sister's (and one of them is pretty beat up because she wore it allllllll the time when she was in her extreme colonial phase).  He's the fourth kid and third 5yo boy, so we have so much stuff already, but he really loves to pretend to cook and play waiter, and he'd love to get into the real kitchen a bit more.  I think some mitts that fit him will be perfect.

• Like 1