Menu

What have YOU read and loved this year? (or any time, really!)

I know the general discussion area has a book discussion, but I'm just looking for favorite reads that you've come across this year (or any time really).

Some of my favorites this year are as follows. I'm including both independent reads and read alouds, but ultimately I'd love some recommendations for new books for ME to read :)

- Between Shades of Gray -- LOVED this. It was the start of me learning more about Lithuania.

- The Endless Steppe (after reading the above!)

- My Mother's Secret (about a woman in Nazi Germany who hid/saved various people)

- Child 44 (fiction set in Russia, war-time - it is #1 of a series, but have only read the first two)

- Just Mercy (a look at our broken justice system -- non-fiction)

- Evicted: Poverty & Profit (prompted from book above, very eye opening for me)

- The Count of Monte Cristo (first time reading a 1300 page book!)

- The Good Earth

- The Midwife

- several Richard Peck (read aloud)

- The Princess and the Goblin (first time reading MacDonald - this was a read aloud)

- Don Felder: Heaven and Hell (read it after meeting him and seeing him perform at a gala -- fascinating story really)

- The Dream by Harry Bernstein (I hadn't realized I'd read another book of his last year, which was also really good)

A few favorite re-reads as part of read aloud time:

- Understood Betsy

- Boy (love Dahl)

- Owls in the Family

- Bridge to Terabithia

I love books that are funny, witty, smart and real. I'm not into fantasy at all.

Some of my gush, gush, gush favourites include:

The Rosie Project

The Rosie Effect (sequel)

Anything by John Green - my absolute favourite is An Abundance of Katherines 

Anything by Nick Earls - my favourite would be World of Chickens

Both of these authors have a similar feel - the main characters are smart, funny, awkward and absolutely lovable.

Jenny Lawson's memoirs (The Blogess)

I read Frankenstein for the first time ever this year (crazy, I know) and truly loved it. I read a ton of others, but that one surprised me the most. The others were okay. Nothing stood out as fantastic. 

My reading tastes are incredibly eclectic and run the full spectrum from romance novels about blue aliens with horns, to Plutarch and Longfellow.

Jack London wrote a lot more books than the ones he is most well known for. I really liked the Scarlet Plague.

I enjoyed The Little Duke. I reread most of Water-Babies. I reread some of her Little House on the Prarie Books.

Another board member and I seem to read from Where There is No Doctor constantly. Something flew in my eye yesterday and it has been getting worse all day. I need to pull out WTND and see what it says. Tomorrow is Sunday and that is not a great day to go looking for healthcare.

I'm reading the Book of Romans in the Bible and some studies about Romans. I also read some books on witchcraft and tarot. I read it all.

I read some books to prepare for NanoWriMo, but didn't get past day 3 of Nano before giving up.

I skim tons of books without finishing them. I keep making goals to read and reread more of the books in the document in my signature cover-to-cover. But I get distracted by other things. Especially every time a new blue alien book comes out. :lol: Blue aliens on not-Hoth take precedence.

This year I enjoyed The Glass Castle, All the Light We Cannot See, and the Diary of Anne Frank.

I read The Glass Castle when it first came out and it was really good (crazy and eye opening, but good!)

All The Light We Cannot See - briefly started reading it and then it had to go back to the library. I hadn't gotten into it yet so maybe I need to give it another try because it gets mostly good reviews.

I loved count of Monte Cristo which I read for the first time as an adult this year. Same with A Tree grows in Brooklyn.

Can't recall if it was this year but I loved the Elena Ferrante trilogy (though I feel it got worse and worse and her earlier, somewhat unknown works I much prefer. You may realize she has been spinning the same story across some 5 books. Still good.)

Housekeeping (I love all her stuff)

The tenth of December (George Saunders â¤ï¸)

And this is not my genre at all, so I was shocked to really enjoy We have always lived in the Castle.

I read a lot this year, and many were first time reads, as well as hits.

Here are my favorites:

The Night Circus - Erin Morganstern

The War that Saved Me - Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Dark Lord of Derkholm & Year of the Griffin - Dian Wynne Jones

Ursula le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea books

David Eddings's Belariad books

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Howl's Moving Castle (and 2 sequels) - Diana Wynne Jones

Also read the Little House books (from Plum Creek on) and enjoyed them.

My reading tastes are incredibly eclectic and run the full spectrum from romance novels about blue aliens with horns, to Plutarch and Longfellow.

... I get distracted by other things. Especially every time a new blue alien book comes out. :lol: Blue aliens on not-Hoth take precedence.

Now I'd like to know which blue alien series you are reading; please, do tell.

I just read It Ends with Us: A Novel  by Colleen Hoover; it was thought provoking and eye opening fiction.

Regards,

Kareni