Menu

Freshening up stale linens for holiday guests?

Halftime Hope

Aside from washing in hot water, anyone have a sure-fire way to get the "stored away too long" smell out of linens that are used infrequently?  I have some good quality queen and king sheets that I don't want to discard, nor do I want to replace with new sheets. 

Help??

TIA!!

ETA:  I realize now that the way I wrote this made it sound like I wanted something less than washing them.  Nope, it's going to take more than a simple wash to get the "stale" smell out of them.   Thanks!

Edited by Halftime Hope

Naw, these are going to have to soak in hot detergent water, get washed, get re-washed, and then maybe soak in vinegar and borax, get a final wash, and then go out on the line to dry.  They do not smell good, and it's a combination of linen closet, old body oil, and time.  I always wash things before putting them in the linens bins, but that wasn't enough, apparently.

(I made up that list of steps, but I think it will require some serious laundering to get them clean.)

Naw, these are going to have to soak in hot detergent water, get washed, get re-washed, and then maybe soak in vinegar and borax, get a final wash, and then go out on the line to dry. They do not smell good, and it's a combination of linen closet, old body oil, and time. I always wash things before putting them in the linens bins, but that wasn't enough, apparently.

(I made up that list of steps, but I think it will require some serious laundering to get them clean.)

I would dump some Odo-ban in the wash with them. Let them soak with that for a little bit. Then rewash with regular detergent if you want to get rid of the Odo-ban smell.
  • Like 1

Mistolin? It's a laundry additive, comes in various scents. Lavender would work for sheets.

Mrs Meyers also has a line of lavender scents for laundry. Plus there are some more upscale brands whose names I cannot recall.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/5-ways-to-get-great-smelling-l-132214

Edited by Alessandra

I would wash with detergent and a cup or more of baking soda.  Let soak for a bit at the start.  Also use liquid fabric softener.  (FWIW, I only use non-scented detergents and fabric softeners - I hate when fabrics carry detergent scents!)  Then line dry.  (In our yard with no clothesline, I'd just throw it over the backs of the patio chairs - it's so dry here it'll be ready in a couple hours.)

When I was growing up, I always liked that smell, but maybe it had something to do with the particular house/closet (in the Northeast).  Here out west, I don't like the smell of the sheets sitting in our hall closet.

Alternatively, I have come to appreciate the cotton sateen sheets from Costco :)

Edited by wapiti

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

I may indeed end up throwing the sheets away, but I want to try to see if I can make them serviceable.  They are not worn out or even thin, and they have a beautiful soft, smooth finish to the fabric, nicer than any other sateen sheets I've ever had.  I got them from Overstock a number of years ago, and they have no maker tags.  :-(

Again, many thanks, I'll try some of the suggestions!

• Like 1

Please be aware of your guest's allergies.  One visit to my parents' house resulted in a severe allergy attack by my then 5 year old son.  In the middle of the night, he woke up gasping for breath.   The reason - my mom put a dryer sheet inside each of the pillow cases to "freshen" .   She just wasn't thinking even though she just washed all the linens with fragrant-free and dye-free detergent since she knew of my son's allergies!   After making a 3-hour detour in the middle of the night to the emergency room, it is a holiday we'll never forget!

Myra

Please be aware of your guest's allergies.  One visit to my parents' house resulted in a severe allergy attack by my then 5 year old son.  In the middle of the night, he woke up gasping for breath.   The reason - my mom put a dryer sheet inside each of the pillow cases to "freshen" .   She just wasn't thinking even though she just washed all the linens with fragrant-free and dye-free detergent since she knew of my son's allergies!   After making a 3-hour detour in the middle of the night to the emergency room, it is a holiday we'll never forget!

Myra

Agreed.  I didn't want to offend anyone who was kind enough to post, but fragrancey things are a no go in my household due to dh's asthma.  Interestingly enough, essential oils don't bother him, so if I wanted to wash with some lavender, I probably could.   But honestly, that's a waste of good lavender!  :-)

• Like 1

I'm lol'ing at the suggestion to line dry outside "It has rained almost every day for two months in Vancouver"   :laugh: 

Just so happens, dh & I just tackled a clean out & reorganization of our linen closets this afternoon & we have a tip: keep those silly plastic cases the store sells bedlinens in & use them for storage. If you store washed things in those, they don't get the musty smell. Your linen closets will look a bit weird, like an overstock display cabinet, but it really works. All the stuff we had kept in those (which we did because they were going in the basement & I was worried about moisture or the occasional mouse invader) were pristine & ready for use. All the stuff in the upstairs linen closet, which was just all unpacked and stacked, was musty and needed washing. 

I'm lol'ing at the suggestion to line dry outside "It has rained almost every day for two months in Vancouver" :laugh:

Just so happens, dh & I just tackled a clean out & reorganization of our linen closets this afternoon & we have a tip: keep those silly plastic cases the store sells bedlinens in & use them for storage. If you store washed things in those, they don't get the musty smell. Your linen closets will look a bit weird, like an overstock display cabinet, but it really works. All the stuff we had kept in those (which we did because they were going in the basement & I was worried about moisture or the occasional mouse invader) were pristine & ready for use. All the stuff in the upstairs linen closet, which was just all unpacked and stacked, was musty and needed washing.

as a PNW girl, same here. No one dries their laundry out of doors in November here.