Menu

PaperBackSwap.com

I have used Paperback Swap and it has been fine but I prefer Bookmooch. Bookmooch usually has more of the books I'm looking for and if someone mooches from you, you get the credit as soon as they request the book. With Paperback, you don't get the credit until the person receives the book you sent and logs in to confirm they received it. Paperback doesn't seem to get as much activity. The system works fine though; I've never had a problem with either program.

HTH,

Carolyn

Paperback Swap seemed to have more of the books I personally wanted, so that's what I went with. I've gotten rid of a bunch of books that I was going to donate to the library and received more in turn. I usually sell my books on Amazon and various homeschool boards, but I had a bunch that just weren't worth much and/or weren't moving.

I also have a long wish list now though. Some of the books I want have some 60 people ahead of me!

Paperback Swap seemed to have more of the books I personally wanted, so that's what I went with. I've gotten rid of a bunch of books that I was going to donate to the library and received more in turn. I usually sell my books on Amazon and various homeschool boards, but I had a bunch that just weren't worth much and/or weren't moving.

I also have a long wish list now though. Some of the books I want have some 60 people ahead of me!

:iagree: We've had great luck with Paperback Swap. We use it more for fun-reading kind of stuff than we do for school.

• 8 months later...

I've been using it for a couple of months now, and have mailed out several books, and received several as well. It costs about $2.38 to mail out an average large paperback book, but any book you request is "free" (I look at it the other way, it costs me $2.38 per book I receive--I use that to determine if it's worth it to get it from paperbackswap or elsewhere).

I really like their search--there was another book swap site recommended on these boards (can't remember which one), but I didn't like it's search, so I'm sticking with paperbackswap.

I joined PBS last July and for the most part loved it. I received a few books that should not have been posted, but most of the books were in good condition. I got a lot of great books and had found a place to unload some of the books that we no longer needed.

I wanted to get the quick credits, so I always bought "PBS money" and printed the shipping labels there. I also signed up for the "Box of Books" exchange. At the end of the year, after 6 months, I totaled all of the money I had spent on shipping and it was $971 and some odd cents. Seriously. I kid you not. I couldn't believe I had spent so much. Those shipping labels and extra fees really add up!

I had close to 600 books on my "PBS bookshelf", so I quickly went to the site and took most of them off. Now I only send out one or two books a month.

I have used Paperback Swap and it has been fine but I prefer Bookmooch. Bookmooch usually has more of the books I'm looking for and if someone mooches from you, you get the credit as soon as they request the book. With Paperback, you don't get the credit until the person receives the book you sent and logs in to confirm they received it. Paperback doesn't seem to get as much activity. The system works fine though; I've never had a problem with either program.

HTH,

Carolyn

The only problem with BM that I have found is that I have received a few books that had conditions that were not stated or they were not honestly stated. That was frustrating. I have had far more positives than negatives there, but that was one thing I really did like better about PBW because I *knew* the books had to be in decent condition before they were listed.

I have liked and currently use both services and will continue to do so. :D

I got a couple books that were not in the condition I would have hoped for but then learned about the criteria option! You can fill out a preference for the condition of the books you'd like to receive such as from a non-smoking home or no past library stickers. The owner of the book has to agree that their book meets your conditions before sending it.

Since using this feature, I've had no problems! I just ordered half of the books my daughter needs for her world history class on PBS last night. I love it!

Joy!

Lisa

I got a couple books that were not in the condition I would have hoped for but then learned about the criteria option! You can fill out a preference for the condition of the books you'd like to receive such as from a non-smoking home or no past library stickers. The owner of the book has to agree that their book meets your conditions before sending it.

Since using this feature, I've had no problems! I just ordered half of the books my daughter needs for her world history class on PBS last night. I love it!

Joy!

Lisa

I didn't know there was that option. Though the truth is, I have not been disappointed in any book I got from PBS except for one. The book was in good condition but there was a stain on it and I was not entirely sure what it was. I read it anyway. LOL I will not re-list it though. BM - there was a lot more variety in condition of books I received. I figure for all the books I have received for what is almost free, I cannot complain for the few that are stinkers.

Huzzah on the PBS finds!!

I love PBS! I've gotten two books that were not in the condition they should have been (one with stains and loose pages, one witha broken binding), but we used them anyway! I've ordered so many books through them. I'm terrible at mailing, so I love that I can buy credits through the PBS site for about $3.50 each and use those. I ordered almost all our ancients books that way, and will do the same for medieval when I'm ready. I received several Five in a Row manuals through them, a few Usborne encyclopedias, and had the option to get RS4K books (I passed, though) as well. I also looked and all the books I'll need for my next WinterPromise are either available or have tiny waiting lists, so all I'll need to buy from WP will be the IG and the MYO pages. Huge savings!

I joined both Bookmooch and PBS at the same time (over two years ago, I think), and at the time I vastly preferred PBS, but maybe Bookmooch has improved since then. Either way, I love Paperbackswap.

I requested a book. The request was received. The time to mail expired, and I received a notice from PBS that the transaction had expired because the sender hadn't marked the book mailed. I went to PBS, and re-ordered the same book, presumably from another sender, and they accepted the request and mailed the book.

Now, the book showed up from the first sender. They must have sent it, just didn't mark it sent. I have the option of giving them credit or not. On one hand, the book arrived within the time frame, so I think on that basis I should give them the credit. On the other hand, I have the same book now on it's way from another sender, because PBS informed me the transaction had expired. I don't want to spend two of my credits on the same book, kwim? :confused: I just don't have that many credits right now.

WWYD?

I requested a book. The request was received. The time to mail expired, and I received a notice from PBS that the transaction had expired because the sender hadn't marked the book mailed. I went to PBS, and re-ordered the same book, presumably from another sender, and they accepted the request and mailed the book.

Now, the book showed up from the first sender. They must have sent it, just didn't mark it sent. I have the option of giving them credit or not. On one hand, the book arrived within the time frame, so I think on that basis I should give them the credit. On the other hand, I have the same book now on it's way from another sender, because PBS informed me the transaction had expired. I don't want to spend two of my credits on the same book, kwim? :confused: I just don't have that many credits right now.

WWYD?

Well, the sender only has a certain number of days before they will not receive credit even if they sent it. It could be that the person didn't mark it sent because the person would not receive credit anyway.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I would email the original sender, tell them what happened and ask them if they could send you another credit for the mixup (many "sellers" on there have a surplus of credits and actually sell them). Then mark it received and the person gets his/her credit. Does that make sense?

I have used Paperback Swap and it has been fine but I prefer Bookmooch.

I've never used Paperback Swap, but have been on Bookmooch for just over a year. It has been absolutely fantastic!

I've received loads of books to use with SOTW that I would not have been able to afford to buy.

Out of more than 200 mooches, I've been dissapointed with the condition of the book twice where I thought it had not been described accurately.

ETA: I just wish more people would be willing to send books internationally!! On Bookmooch, you get 3 points if you do.