Menu

O give thanks unto the Lord...

MercyA

O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Happy Thanksgiving, all! 

• Like 35

Praise God from whom all blessings flow;

Praise Him, all creatures here below;

Praise Him above, ye heav'nly host;

Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Amen

Except no one does. This is am empty holiday celebrating oppression

If you don't know anyone who helps the needy or speaks out against injustice, you are running in the wrong circles. 

I do think about what was done to the Native American people. It was wrong, and that is what we teach our daughter.

For me, today is simply a day to be with family and thank God for the many blessings He has given me. I do not believe it is wrong for me to do so, although I understand that you feel differently.

• Like 5

If you don't know anyone who helps the needy or speaks out against injustice, you are running in the wrong circles.

I do think about what was done to the Native American people. It was wrong, and that is what we teach our daughter.

For me, today is simply a day to be with family and thank God for the many blessings He has given me. I do not believe it is wrong for me to do so, although I understand that you feel differently.

deleted by moderator

Never mind.

I'm glad we can all gather here and share in our gratitude for the blessings we have from the Lord, be they modest or grand. Thank you for His mercies and may He continue to work for goodness in the hearts of all mankind.

Edited by texasmom33

May the lord bless thosenwho are starving. May the lord bless those who are freezing. May the lord bless the oppressed. May the lord use his gifts to stop oppression, since obviously those who benefit will not.

Wow, sorry you are having a rough day.

It is not my circle I am worried about. I see the action. It is the blessed are we who are privileged we are better than them.

But I do not expect you (general you) to get it. I have read too long here and seen so often the jusitifications and mental gymnastics used.

You don't need to worry about my circle, either. :) In just the past few weeks in my small town, I have seen theologically conservative Christians:

Tutor at a homeless shelter to help residents and others in the community reach their educational goals

Gather gifts to send to children in other countries

Correct a relative on their overuse of racial descriptors ("that black guy," "the Hispanic guy," etc.)
Plan a fundraiser and gift collection for children in Guatemala 
Buy pillows for residents of a homeless shelter
Donate clothes to a homeless shelter

Donate clothes, toys, and books to other homeschooling families

Express the desire for a "I Stand with Standing Rock" t-shirt  ;)

Collect clothes for other disadvantaged families, when they themselves can't always afford gas or other things they need

Gather shoes to send to Africa

Love and serve others in a myriad of other ways

I *am* privileged, yes, and I fully recognize it is not due to any merit on my part. With my privilege comes responsibility. "From everyone who has been given much, much will be required."

I expect that you will somehow find fault with what those in my circles have done, and that's okay. I would just ask you to please think about not judging people so harshly when you don't even know them.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 12

"I didn't care much about homelessness/pipelines/hunger/etc. until there was this woman who sh!t all over a Thanksgiving post, then I really got involved" said no one, ever.

• Like 9

I judge based on past posts.

Okay, fair enough. Just keep in mind that Christians are specifically instructed not to advertise their "good deeds," so don't expect posters here to share everything they are personally doing to help others.

• Like 12

Please stay with the original intent of this thread.  If you wish to discuss the appropriateness of Thanksgiving as a holiday, start a new thread.

Forum rules:   Do not assume that everyone on the boards shares a particular religious conviction 

These boards are inclusive. You are welcome to ask theological questions, but don't post as though everyone who frequents the boards shares your ideology. Offending posts may be deleted. Don't use inquiries as an excuse to proselytize for anything. Answer questions that are posted but don't use these questions as an excuse to springboard into criticism. For example: If someone asks, "What are your kids dressing up as for Halloween?" don't launch into an explanation of how evil Halloween is. If someone asks, "Is Halloween evil?" have a ball. (Conversely: if someone posts, "We don't do Halloween; what can we substitute?" don't take this as an opportunity to prove to them that Halloween is really just fine.)